Using the front door

over2u

It's perfectly understandable if you're exiting through the front if you have a disability or mobility issue, but it's not when you just broke the sound barrier running from the back to the front bus just to leave out of the front. <_<

• 2 months later...

yes have the itl system anouce a magor stop like say next stop cambridge centre transfer for route 51,56 60,61,64,67,75 ixp pleese use rear doors when high volumes or when possible..

next stop uptown waterloo ...shops at waterloo square transfer for 5 and 35 use rear doors please the note could have a kindly move to the rear anouncment when a driver needs it by keying in the screen to have it anounce it when they are at a busy stop and the bus is somewhat full but empty near the back..

next stop willam street 4 waterloo city hall and region helath /social services building

next stop king at lowther transfer for route 52,61 and 64

next stop fairview park mall terminal transfer for route 7,8,10,12,17,23,27,52 and ixp use rear doors please when possible

these are just examples of how the automated next stop anouncments could help people find whats conecting at the magor stop and would motivate them to use rear doors

JEFF

yes have the itl system anouce a magor stop like say next stop cambridge centre transfer for route 51,56 60,61,64,67,75 ixp pleese use rear doors when high volumes or when possible..

next stop uptown waterloo ...shops at waterloo square transfer for 5 and 35 use rear doors please the note could have a kindly move to the rear anouncment when a driver needs it by keying in the screen to have it anounce it when they are at a busy stop and the bus is somewhat full but empty near the back..

next stop willam street 4 waterloo city hall and region helath /social services building

next stop king at lowther transfer for route 52,61 and 64

next stop fairview park mall terminal transfer for route 7,8,10,12,17,23,27,52 and ixp use rear doors please when possible

these are just examples of how the automated next stop anouncments could help people find whats conecting at the magor stop and would motivate them to use rear doors

JEFF

The stops are generally far too close together to have enough time for all those announcements.

I would like to see this too. It may not be a current feature, but it can't be hard for INIT to do.

Kingston Transit has this programmed into the call stop announcements, at transfer points (not local bus stops). The words show up on the display.

Please use

rear doors

to exit bus

if possible

Next stop

Kingston Centre

Transfer Point

Seriously what is the big deal with people exiting by the front door? For example a packed bus pulls to a stop and some of the people standing near the front want off....do you honestly expect them to try to squeeze their way back to use the back door? No! That is ridiculous, they will use the front door because it is easier to access. The people at the stop can wait a couple seconds longer so the passengers can safely disembark. Also from a drivers perspective I usually find the front doors faster to open and close anyway so by them exiting the front door saves time.

No matter what you do, people will still find a silly excuse to exit at the front door!

Seriously what is the big deal with people exiting by the front door? For example a packed bus pulls to a stop and some of the people standing near the front want off....do you honestly expect them to try to squeeze their way back to use the back door?

In that case it is reasonable to go out the front, however when a bus comes to a last stop of a route on a terminal it is logical that everyone should go out the back as to allow people to enter at the front. Too many times have I seen an inside crowd go out the front while the people on the outside wait in the snow or rain to get in. Once or twice I've heard drivers instruct people to go out the back, but it is very, very rare.

If there is nothing blocking your way to get out the back, then people should be going out the back. If there is someone waiting to get on then this is especially true. It is a culture thing as well. The more drivers that follow the rules and instruct passengers to get out the proper way at reasonable times, the more people will get used to it.

Seriously what is the big deal with people exiting by the front door? For example a packed bus pulls to a stop and some of the people standing near the front want off....do you honestly expect them to try to squeeze their way back to use the back door? No! That is ridiculous, they will use the front door because it is easier to access. The people at the stop can wait a couple seconds longer so the passengers can safely disembark. Also from a drivers perspective I usually find the front doors faster to open and close anyway so by them exiting the front door saves time.

Not if they were to think ahead and get themselves to the back door instead of stubbornly standing right at the front of the bus for the ewhole time they`re on it, as for waiting "a couple seconds longer"? Try telling that to the little old lady out in the rain!

Not if they were to think ahead and get themselves to the back door instead of stubbornly standing right at the front of the bus for the ewhole time they`re on it, as for waiting "a couple seconds longer"? Try telling that to the little old lady out in the rain!

Most old lady's carry umbrellas or have those plastic bag looking things on their heads when it rains :D

I've never had an issue with it. At the same time most elderly passengers exit the bus via the front door so it shouldn't be an issue for them when they see someone else do it.

At the same time most elderly passengers exit the bus via the front door so it shouldn't be an issue for them when they see someone else do it.

Excellent point. And I suppose that nobody should give their seat for a senior citizen? Do you think a senior's reason to using the front door is the same as a students?

Do you think a senior's reason to using the front door is the same as a students?

Does it really make a difference whether it's a senior or a student that exits by the front door? I've observed most passengers who exit the front door to say thank you and have a good day/night when they get off. So after they say that to me should I say You're welcome now go exit by the rear door? I would get crusified by management!

The unspoken rule is to wait for people exiting first and then board.

Somebody needs to make that unspoken rule, a little bit more spoken in the Waterloo Region, then.

All this for an effin' door.

Fer chrissakes, you can smell the OCD in this thread.

Oh My....

I think this is also an issue with small transit system vs. large transit system. Kitchener Transit and Cambridge Transit were both smaller systems. As it grows into what we now know as Grand River Transit, and with an increase in passengers, there not only has to be efficient routes that move people around, but there also needs to be efficient ways of getting people on and off stops.

One way of effectively moving people in and out of a bus is as follows:

People outside -----> front door -----> BUS -----> people inside -----> back door

It is a simple system that some (on these boards and) passengers don't understand so hopefully the above diagram helps. There are exceptions, as mentioned previously, such as moving large items outside the front doors, people with disabilities, and seniors, however everyone else "should" follow this simple rule as instructed from signs in busses. If you feel the need to thank the driver each time you exit then please stop taking public transit and call a taxi. You can thank the taxi driver all day long without interfering with the flow of traffic on a bus.

If I don't open the front doors you can't use them simple as that!!!
Remind me when I'm back in Waterloo in September to look for you. I need to see this in action. :lol:

I was once on the 12 and had a driver that repeatedly sent UW students to the back door when they attempted to get out the front. After 2-3 stops of doing this there was not a passenger on board that would even come close to the front door. This proves that it works. The driver is a genius and more should be doing this, at least for GRT. If you have more drivers doing this, passengers will get used to it.

I was once on the 12 and had a driver that repeatedly sent UW students to the back door when they attempted to get out the front. After 2-3 stops of doing this there was not a passenger on board that would even come close to the front door. This proves that it works. The driver is a genius and more should be doing this, at least for GRT. If you have more drivers doing this, passengers will get used to it.

Did just that today! Funny how they stand at a "closed" front door, looking at you, while the rear door is "open" (override) and everyone else is exiting that way. I just let them stand there, while I look in the mirror at the rear door. It takes awhile, but yes, they do finally figure it out!

Did just that today! Funny how they stand at a "closed" front door, looking at you, while the rear door is "open" (override) and everyone else is exiting that way. I just let them stand there, while I look in the mirror at the rear door. It takes awhile, but yes, they do finally figure it out!

Haha.. genius! That's the way to do it. Now we need more drivers like you and people would be moving in and out much quicker (once they understand how to properly exit a bus).