Using the front door

over2u

I would like to remind the traveling public that it is unsafe to exit the front doors and then cross the road in front of the bus. There is a sign above the front windshield to use the rear or centre door. However, that isn't a problem for the drivers. It is a concern to cross the road in front of bus because of a poor site line.

Recently there has been accidents involving passengers that have crossed the road in front of a bus and did not see a vehicle passing the bus and were hit.

Please consider the danger of this practice when exiting the front doors.

Thanks.

Wayne

I would like to remind the traveling public that it is unsafe to exit the front doors and then cross the road in front of the bus. There is a sign above the front windshield to use the rear or centre door. However, that isn't a problem for the drivers. It is a concern to cross the road in front of bus because of a poor site line.

Recently there has been accidents involving passengers that have crossed the road in front of a bus and did not see a vehicle passing the bus and were hit.

Please consider the danger of this practice when exiting the front doors.

Thanks.

Wayne

Well you're not going to make a point here. The general public doesn't read this forum for tips on how to take the bus. In fact to get access to this Waterloo subforum you have to be a member of CPTDB. (most members are transit fans and all ready know this anyway)

Also, as a driver I sometimes prefer the passengers exit by the front door because the front door is usually faster then the rear door and that saves time.

Also, some bus stops are really small. This means that snow or mud is usually blocking the rear door during winter or wet weather.

If you properly alighn the centre door with the cleared out area of snow then this doen not become an issue it actuallyis better to use the centre door then because the front door is at the snowbank.' and to use the front door when people are trying to board the bus is just incredibly ignorant!!!

The in-bus system that announces stops, should, for major stops, announce "please exist bus through back door". Many times I have seen groups of people go out the front door in freezing, cold weather, and rainy days while another group has to wait outside in the said weather until everyone exits out the front.

For GRT drivers reading this, use your mouth and tell your passengers to exit at the back door when you see another large group waiting to get in.

The in-bus system that announces stops, should, for major stops, announce "please exist bus through back door". Many times I have seen groups of people go out the front door in freezing, cold weather, and rainy days while another group has to wait outside in the said weather until everyone exits out the front.

For GRT drivers reading this, use your mouth and tell your passengers to exit at the back door when you see another large group waiting to get in.

I once had a customer complaint because I asked them to use the back door' it was dropped once I told the supervisor why I ask poeople to us it, because I'm tired of watching people get or almost get hit by cars running out in front of the bus without looking and if some one gets killed I don't want to live with that on my concience. So within reason everybody uses the back door on my bus, and I decide whats in reason.

The front door is usually closer to the curb for us old, short legged people.

I always wait for the bus to drive off before crossing. Gives me a chance to do a friendly wave as he/she drives away.

I'm not only short, but legally blind & am usually using my walker or 2 canes, so I always use the front door, I usually ask the driver to lower the bus if possible, I love doing the 'friendly wave' to the drivers, I've gotten to be well known around here, for my hello's & Thank You's & my wave's as well as at christmas sometimes I give out a $10 Tim Card, enclosed in a christmas card to my favourite drivers.

I admit, I dont live in the C/K/W area, I live in Toronto, but I love the c/k/w area, & wish I could live there.

And you truly believe that passengers would actually listen???

I don't agree with this topic at all. If people want to use the front door, all the power to them. Sure I hate when people cross in front of the bus too, but you can't easily control people.. especially when they are actually OFF your bus. And guess what... people that get off at the back door, can still do the same thing, cross in front of the bus... or they end up going behind the bus and into traffic that way. No matter what you'll never win.... so i just let passengers do what they want.

No, because idiots will phone and complain that you were rude. Same with strollers, never going to tell anyone to fold one EVER because it's not worth the inevitable fight.

Who gets hauled in the office ? The guy who tries to do his job, that's who. I'm happy to coast. Management created me.

The in-bus system that announces stops, should, for major stops, announce "please exist bus through back door".

I think this is a fantastic idea. People really would be helped by the normative direction to exit at the back - not everyone would do it, but more than do currently.

Let us seperate the following. People with a valid reason to exit at the front should exit at the front. This includes people with injuries/disabilities, seniors, and people with extra 'luggage' (large bags, strollers, etc.). I am not refering to this group. Anyone would gladly wait for them to get off at the front. Anyone else not in this group should exit at the back doors. Just as I wouldn't enter the bus at the back door, you shouldn't exit at the front, especially if there's a group waiting to get in at a terminal. Use your head.

And bus drivers telling passengers, "please exit at the back", when pulling up at a terminal works. I've seen it a few times. Now if every driver did this, or if the system announced it, then people would be trained to do so. Enough practice and people will start getting it. Another idea? On the inside and outside of every door have a coloured sign. Above the front door a green coloured 'enter' sign and on the back door a red coloured 'exit' sign.

Let us seperate the following. People with a valid reason to exit at the front should exit at the front. This includes people with injuries/disabilities, seniors, and people with extra 'luggage' (large bags, strollers, etc.). I am not refering to this group. Anyone would gladly wait for them to get off at the front. Anyone else not in this group should exit at the back doors. Just as I wouldn't enter the bus at the back door, you shouldn't exit at the front, especially if there's a group waiting to get in at a terminal. Use your head.

And bus drivers telling passengers, "please exit at the back", when pulling up at a terminal works. I've seen it a few times. Now if every driver did this, or if the system announced it, then people would be trained to do so. Enough practice and people will start getting it. Another idea? On the inside and outside of every door have a coloured sign. Above the front door a green coloured 'enter' sign and on the back door a red coloured 'exit' sign.

I mostly agree. However, if there is no one trying to board at the front, there is no issue with someone trying to exit by the front; it's usually faster too as the driver can open and close the doors quicker than those motion sensors.

I mostly agree. However, if there is no one trying to board at the front, there is no issue with someone trying to exit by the front; it's usually faster too as the driver can open and close the doors quicker than those motion sensors.

And that is why they all leave by the front door., because we just let them. We haven't helped ourselves in this.

People are sheep, tell them to exit at the back and they will. Transit drivers who just think their only responsibility is to turn a steering wheel are responsible for this. TTC buses are plastered with stickers telling people to exit at the rear, but the vast majority of people still use the front. However, if the driver asks politely, or even explains please exit at the rear so passengers don't have to wait to board, voila!! The sheep exit at the back. We already have enough rules, guidelines, by-laws, signs and stickers telling us what to do, but unless somebody actually says something, nothing will change. In today's society, common sense is the most uncommon thing, drivers should not expect passengers to use their heads when the vast majority have nothing in their head. "Please exit by rear doors" If you are too afraid to tell your passengers that, you should not be working in public transit.

I don't know if this is possible to insert into the current GRT announcement system, but it would be useful if they add at least two announcement options to the voice that currently announces stops:

- "Please move towards the back of the bus" when there are groups of people at the front while another group is trying to board; too many times have I heard bus drivers scream this out; and

- "Exit at the back of the bus" for the reasons outlined in this posting

It would be much more professional to hear the annoucement voice tell passangers this than the driver yelling it out. Is there an option to add custom messages with a press of a button by the driver?

It would be much more professional to hear the annoucement voice tell passangers this than the driver yelling it out. Is there an option to add custom messages with a press of a button by the driver?

I would like to see this too. It may not be a current feature, but it can't be hard for INIT to do.

If you properly alighn the centre door with the cleared out area of snow then this doen not become an issue it actuallyis better to use the centre door then because the front door is at the snowbank.' and to use the front door when people are trying to board the bus is just incredibly ignorant!!!

I totally agree. But I must mention, (many of you know I am a bus operator for CT in Calgary), that I have had people walk up form the very rear of my 60 foot articulated and 40 foot buses and tell me that they wanted to say "Thanks" as they left the bus and that was why they didn't use the rear doors. Others have complained that they can't get the rear doors to open half of the time if no more often with our "Class" rear doors systems on bus #'s 7963-8095, 8101-8158, and 6001-6063. However, I always use the power door switch to open them to avoid people bellowing from the rear "BACK DOOR" or "F'ing Back Door!!!" In other words, the rear door opens without them having to do anything to open the rear doors. But it's hard to argue with the ones that tell me they wanted to say "Thanks" as they leave the bus. I have actually mentioned to some that if they are loud enough, I do hear them and do respond with "YOUR WELCOME" as they exit the bus. I am sure most do hear me respond. When I ask people as they arrive at the front of the bus waiting for me to open the front doors, I have normally got the rear doors open and I mention, "You don't like the rear doors on this bus" ? Then I get the above responces. I have many more responses that I have had as well. One of my favorites is this one: "But I am going thias way" (pointing ahead of the front of the bus) and I then respond with: "It's the same distance inside the bus as it is outside the bus!".

One of my favorites is this one: "But I am going thias way" (pointing ahead of the front of the bus) and I then respond with: "It's the same distance inside the bus as it is outside the bus!".

but the fact that they're already waiting to get off at that point (at the front of the bus) before the bus stops (rather than walk from the rear door after the bus stops) means they get to whatever destination in the forward direction just a tiny bit faster -_-

but the fact that they're already waiting to get off at that point (at the front of the bus) before the bus stops (rather than walk from the rear door after the bus stops) means they get to whatever destination in the forward direction just a tiny bit faster -_-

Not when I make them walk right back!! 3-)