Sound Transit

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the new "crash energy management" cars was spotted in Thunder Bay, ON being prepared for shipment to Seattle.  

Here's a picture I took a couple weeks ago at the Lynnwood Transit Center of a 2004 D60LF.

the area around the front sign on ST's new Enviro500s is painted white, instead of the black the older E500s had

Posted Images

ST is going to order 12 CNG MCI D4500 coaches. 11 Expansion and one to replace 9524 which was burned up.

http://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/Motion%20M2016-03.pdf

I'm not in love with this choice. NJT ordered the CNG coaches and immediately ran into GVWR issues and were restricted from carrying standees on them. Not sure if anything has changed with the engineering to alleviate this problem.

I'm not in love with this choice. NJT ordered the CNG coaches and immediately ran into GVWR issues and were restricted from carrying standees on them. Not sure if anything has changed with the engineering to alleviate this problem.

I'm wondering if it will make much difference to Sound Transit? Currently, I believe their technical maximum standees on an Sound Transit MCI is 13 and since ST has a relatively strict threshold for adjusting service in order to eliminate standees on any given trip, it may not make much difference to them if it turns out to be that their new CNG coaches also may prohibit standees. It will definitely be an inconvenience and make for poor public relations, however, to have that restriction. I guess we'll see if ST will announce the same standee restriction once they go into service.

I remember reading where the extra weight of a NJTransit CNG MCI is attributed to the larger fuel tank. NJTransit also is ordering MCI hybrids. I wonder if they will also have such standee restrictions since I'd imagine that the weight of all the hybrid components would have to weigh more than the CNG fuel tank.

I don't think they ever favored standees and they try to adjust their service to prevent it from happening on a regular basis. I do know their special event trips have standees on a regular basis, not sure about their peak trips as i try to take the train instead. They may have even had a policy prohibiting it at one point, but i dont remember. I think the NJT problem with the CNG D4500s was both gross weight and added weight of standees vs. engine power to move them. a CNG engine has less torque than its diesel counterpart and this may also have been part of the problem as well.

I wonder how much of a problem it will actually be to not allow standees. Consider that at the height of rush hour... the trip from Seattle to Tacoma takes well over an hour, with no stops. I'm a relatively young and fit guy... but there's no way I'm gonna stand in the aisle for over an hour.

I wonder how much of a problem it will actually be to not allow standees. Consider that at the height of rush hour... the trip from Seattle to Tacoma takes well over an hour, with no stops. I'm a relatively young and fit guy... but there's no way I'm gonna stand in the aisle for over an hour.

Put 'em on the 592 or 595; it's amazing what a half hour headway might make you do.

My writing ability is so poor that what I want to say results in my posting something that isn't what I want to say ...lol. No, that's what I meant. ST seems to have relatively stringent guidelines regarding standees that it appears they are constantly trying to adjust schedules so that no trip ends up having standees on a regular basis.

So yes, I'm thinking that even if their CNG MCI coaches prohibit standees, it may not be that huge an issue for them. Their guidelines are also based on time that a passenger is required to stand. Therefore, on those Tacoma/Seattle routes, it looks as if as if they definitely do not want people standing on those longer trips.

I just found the 2014 Service Guidelines I downloaded a few years ago in my files. Attached are the two pages pertaining to Passenger Load Guidelines (topic #10). I'm not sure if there's a more current update or not but at least it will give an idea of what they use.

p13-14 2014_service_standards.pdf

As I understand it, most trains will be 3 cars, with some 4 car trains during rush hour and special events.

I through that two cars and three cars during peak period until 2018 then three cars after that and four car during special events.

Must be my luck - I'm a rider of North routes in the tunnel and almost always get an older coach.

Wasn't there a concern over a bend in one of the tunnel tubes with a 4 train car?

Would that still be concern with future expansion to Central Link light rail?

CNG gilligs 41508 41509 41510 have entered service today. I got the chance to ride one today and it was interesting, they seem to lean into corners and make some intresting sounds going down the road (tall first gear, intresting shifting, warble sound from the rear end at speed).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New ridership report out, covering the rest of 2015.

Press release with the year-end totals and averages: http://www.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/News-and-events/News-releases/sound-transit-riders-set-new-records-taking-trains

Here's the breakdown for average weekday boardings in 2015:

• Sounder commuter rail: 14,600 – a 15 percent increase from 2014
  • Link light rail: 35,573 – an 8 percent increase from 2014
  • ST Express regional buses: 62,981 - a 3 percent increase from 2014

Sound Transit services saw impressive overall growth in addition to the average weekday boardings.

Here's a look at the 2015 annual boardings by the numbers:

• Sounder commuter rail: 3.8 million boardings, 13 percent increase from 2014
  • Link light rail: 11.7 million boardings, 7 percent increase from 2014
  • ST Express regional buses: 18.3 million boardings, 4 percent increase from 2014

Full report: http://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/q4_2015_rpt_service_delivery.pdf

Sound Transit 3 is including infill station on the original lines and ST2 lines:

http://seattletransitblog.com/2016/03/01/st3-infill-stations/

You misunderstood the piece.

These infill stations are candidate projects for ST3, whose draft will be released this month for consideration. They are not included yet, along with every other candidate project (ranging from Ballard to UW, to Kirkland-Issaquah Link).