Sound Transit

transit boy

According to the wiki Pierce Transit has seven XDE60. Is this true? I could see them getting transferred to King County Metro in return for their three XD60 and five other 60 ft diesel buses.

Also witch routes will Pierce Transit operate their articulated buses on?

Yes, this is true. PT will operate seven XDE60's and three XD60's. KCM will operate eight XDE60's, (9652-9659) and four XD60's (9814-9817). It will stay this way, no transfers of equipment between agencies. Hybrid ST 60 footers will no longer be exclusive at KCM. The 60' coaches headed for PT will likely operate on rt 577, but I'd assume you may see them on other PT operated ST routes from time to time. The 60' coaches headed to KCM will replace most of the remaining Gillig 9000's still left at KCM. So you'll probably see more 60' coaches on the 540 and 542, but more specifically the new Xcelsiors will just be mixed and go out on any route the 9600 series and 95/9800 series coaches operate on. And yes, KCM's XDE60's will be equipped with HUSH mode to operate in the Transit Tunnel.

Yes, this is true. PT will operate seven XDE60's and three XD60's. KCM will operate eight XDE60's, (9652-9659) and four XD60's (9814-9817). It will stay this way, no transfers of equipment between agencies. Hybrid ST 60 footers will no longer be exclusive at KCM. The 60' coaches headed for PT will likely operate on rt 577, but I'd assume you may see them on other PT operated ST routes from time to time. The 60' coaches headed to KCM will replace most of the remaining Gillig 9000's still left at KCM. So you'll probably see more 60' coaches on the 540 and 542, but more specifically the new Xcelsiors will just be mixed and go out on any route the 9600 series and 95/9800 series coaches operate on. And yes, KCM's XDE60's will be equipped with HUSH mode to operate in the Transit Tunnel.

Ok. But, I don't understand why Pierce Transit needs XDE60 more than KCM? KCM has route that requires them to operate hybrid buses throw the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel while Pierce Transit has no route in Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel.

BTW, will PT XDE60 have HUSH mode like the KCM?

Ok. But, I don't understand why Pierce Transit needs XDE60 more than KCM? KCM has route that requires them to operate hybrid buses throw the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel while Pierce Transit has no route in Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel.

KCM has 52 DE60LF(​R)s and only one route to operate in the tunnel. Even a dozen more would hardly make a difference.

Yesterday, the Sound Transit Board:

• Extended the existing interagency service agreement with King County Metro through June 30, 2015
  • Extended the existing interagency service agreement with Pierce Transit through June 30, 2015

Pretty short extensions; makes me wonder if they're shopping around or looking at renegotiating.

Yesterday, the Sound Transit Board:

• Extended the existing interagency service agreement with King County Metro through June 30, 2015
  • Extended the existing interagency service agreement with Pierce Transit through June 30, 2015

Pretty short extensions; makes me wonder if they're shopping around or looking at renegotiating.

I heard negotiating with them to extend the contracts for another five years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sound Transit is now making all Interstate 90 buses routes terminate at Mercer Island.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2014/12/08/a-new-approach-for-future-bus-rail-connections-on-mercer-island/#comments

So when East Link major routes changes for Interstate 90 will be changed for no routing will travel to Seattle.

Sound Transit is now making all Interstate 90 buses routes terminate at Mercer Island.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2014/12/08/a-new-approach-for-future-bus-rail-connections-on-mercer-island/#comments

So when East Link major routes changes for Interstate 90 will be changed for no routing will travel to Seattle.

And from the same article:

So will all existing I-90 buses take advantage of this new transitway? It’s not clear yet.

As of today, right now, no bus routes have been changed. While the idea is to make use of East Link to allow for truncation of buses heading into downtown Seattle, we're talking about a service change which is still 8-9 years away, so nothing is decided yet and nothing will be decided for a long time about bus routing. Until then, the discussions are all revolving around the possibility of truncating service, what that might look like, and ensuring sufficient and appropriate infrastructure exists.

As of today, right now, no bus routes have been changed. While the idea is to make use of East Link to allow for truncation of buses heading into downtown Seattle, we're talking about a service change which is still 8-9 years away, so nothing is decided yet and nothing will be decided for a long time about bus routing. Until then, the discussions are all revolving around the possibility of truncating service, what that might look like, and ensuring sufficient and appropriate infrastructure exists.

It is still good plan. I think this will also allow smoother service when East link opens because people will know what the hell is going to change for bus services.

BTW, is Sound Transit think about re-introducing Sunday service on the 535 when Community Transit bring Sunday service back?

Sound Transit is think about cancelling Sounder North during the late fall to early spring period of the year because of landslides along the line.

Found here: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025226596_soundermudslidexml.html

Will this be breaking the law because voters voted for it to run?

BlueBusFan, it seems that recently I'm intentionally trying to pick apart what you post, lol, but please don't take it that way. It's just that I'm interpreting things differently than you are ...perhaps.

I don't think that article is saying that Sound Transit is considering cancelling the service during the winter months but instead the Times reporter is saying that it's John Niles who is a longtime critic of Sound Transit is asking for that to happen.

My personal opinion is that Sound Transit will not entirely cancel that service during the so called "rainy season." I think they will continue to work with BNSF and maybe preemptively cancel service on a day-to-day basis if a slide appears eminent. Remember, as the article says, Sound Transit has always presumed that "the odds are thin that a hillside will crumble at the exact moment a commuter train passes by."

As pointed out, the Empire Builder did get derailed last year by a slide but I still believe that Sound Transit is thinking that it is a remote possibility for that to happen again. Man, you'd sure hate for a slide to wipe out a commuter train and have a catastophic outcome, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound Transit called this one. A mudslide occurred today after the game fans would have been in Seatlle. What I don't understand is why they couldn't get CT to run special buses from Everett, Mukilteo and Edmonds. It's not like they are already using the buses. This happened last time too. ST says they didn't have time to arrange charter buses. Why use charters when they could use CT?

Sound Transit called this one. A mudslide occurred today after the game fans would have been in Seatlle. What I don't understand is why they couldn't get CT to run special buses from Everett, Mukilteo and Edmonds. It's not like they are already using the buses. This happened last time too. ST says they didn't have time to arrange charter buses. Why use charters when they could use CT?

Are CT operators available on Sundays?

If they are, I'm wondering if it has to do with expense of paying for driver overtime. On a Sunday, I'm assuming that the drivers would have to be paid straight-through at time-and-a-half as it would necessitate them laying over during the game in Seattle and being paid just as Metro operators would be on Seahawk specials. Also, maybe CT isn't able to scramble fast enough to get drivers to work overtime on such short notice? And they'd also have to pay road supervisors, a base dispatcher, and possibly maintenance workers to come in on a Sunday also, correct?

I'm not sure of just how many buses would be needed but the major expense I'm assuming would still be the labor costs. Would the Seahawks organization be responsible for that extra cost? And if so, maybe they refuse to pick it up? Would the train crew also have to be paid even though they are not actually working the hours?

Are CT operators available on Sundays?

If they are, I'm wondering if it has to do with expense of paying for driver overtime. On a Sunday, I'm assuming that the drivers would have to be paid straight-through at time-and-a-half as it would necessitate them laying over during the game in Seattle and being paid just as Metro operators would be on Seahawk specials. Also, maybe CT isn't able to scramble fast enough to get drivers to work overtime on such short notice? And they'd also have to pay road supervisors, a base dispatcher, and possibly maintenance workers to come in on a Sunday also, correct?

I'm not sure of just how many buses would be needed but the major expense I'm assuming would still be the labor costs. Would the Seahawks organization be responsible for that extra cost? And if so, maybe they refuse to pick it up? Would the train crew also have to be paid even though they are not actually working the hours?

CT operators are maybe available on Sunday but this will made change come June 7, 2015 because Sunday service may start again on that day. I think is will change in the contract with union if Sunday services start again for Community Transit. I wonder if this will allow Sound Transit to bring back Sunday service on the 535?

I think the Seahawks could pay for the extra costs for buses.

BTW, have any of the XD60 or XDE60 buses start service yet?

CT operators are maybe available on Sunday but this will made change come June 7, 2015 because Sunday service may start again on that day. I think is will change in the contract with union if Sunday services start again for Community Transit. I wonder if this will allow Sound Transit to bring back Sunday service on the 535?

I think the Seahawks could pay for the extra costs for buses.

BTW, have any of the XD60 or XDE60 buses start service yet?

Thanks, Blue Bus Fan. I first thought that no service at all operates out of or in Snohomish county on Sunday but wasn't sure. I'm now assuming that one of their facilities has to be open on a limited basis as at least the ST 512 runs on Sundays, correct?

I appreciate that you clarified that for me. My previous post can be disregarded.

I watch all the trackers several times a day and have not yet noticed any of the XDE60 (9652 to 966-something) coaches out yet.

Thanks, Blue Bus Fan. I first thought that no service at all operates out of or in Snohomish county on Sunday but wasn't sure. I'm now assuming that one of their facilities has to be open on a limited basis as at least the ST 512 runs on Sundays, correct?

I appreciate that you clarified that for me.

I think that Coommunity Transit subcontracts the ST express routes to First Transit.

You're right, they do. Thanks.

My apologies for not being familiar with CT operations. I thought that First Transit used CT facilites but evidently not. So does First Transit operate their own facility in Snohomish county?

At any rate, it would be First Transit operators who would be driving those Seahawks special service coaches which would be used for the Sounder substitues, is that correct? Could there be something contracturally that might prevent First Transit operators from being used for substitute Sounder service for the Seahawk games?

To be more specific... Sound Transit contracts with Community Transit who subcontracts with First Transit.

All Community Transit local and commuter routes are operated by First Transit.

I find it strange that all those new Sound Transit XDE60 buses are just sitting idle at KCM's south base. They have been there for weeks now.

To be more specific... Sound Transit contracts with Community Transit who subcontracts with First Transit.

All Community Transit local and commuter routes are operated by First Transit.

This is incorrect. Community Transit has a very large, in house operation. The in house operation handles all local routes, all of the U District commuter routes, and a couple of the downtown commuter routes (which ones? the ones that the double deckers DO NOT operate on... 424 and 435 come to mind).

First Transit is the latest in CTs long line of contractors to operate commuter service (remember that Metro was the first contractor in the early 80s). They have their own dedicated facility near Paine Field, and they do operate all of the ST service on behalf of CT. They also operate all of the double deckers.

On Sundays, the First Transit yard is operating (for the ST 512), but there is no service from CT's in house operation.

My mistake.

Some information direct from the Sound Transit contract with Community Transit:

"Sound Transit owns 56 buses in support of six ST Express routes operated out of Snohomish County to regional destinations in Seattle and Bellevue. ST has contracted with Community Transit to provide this service, which is provided at Community Transits Kasch Park Operating Base. Community Transit, in turn, contracts its own commuter service and all of the ST Express service with a private company, First Transit."

"The scope of work [subcontracted to First Transit] includes operations and maintenance of the bus fleet, including all supervision and administration of the service. Insurance is included in the First Transit price. Community Transit retains the responsibility to provide contract oversight, purchase fuel, and provide the bus storage and maintenance facility. Under Sound Transits agreement with Community Transit authorized by the Board in 2010, Sound Transit pays for the direct contract costs from First Transit, passed through by Community Transit, as well as the actual cost of the fuel and a proportional share of Community Transit overhead."

"...the hourly rate for Sound Transit service operated through Community Transit will be approximately $115 per platform hour. Pierce Transits baseline rate to provide ST Express service is $127 per platform hour; King County Metros baseline rate is $138 per platform hour."