Sound Transit

transit boy

all the XDE60s seem to have the same basic features, even the 614xx series operated by PT have the yellow strobe light in the tailgate, metro spec door controls, etc. However, hush mode is a feature added by metro post-delivery. Not to mention that only metro operators are trained for operations in the tunnel, and the coaches have to be equipped with a separate 700mhz radio system for use inside the tunnel.

all the XDE60s seem to have the same basic features, even the 614xx series operated by PT have the yellow strobe light in the tailgate, metro spec door controls, etc. However, hush mode is a feature added by metro post-delivery. Not to mention that only metro operators are trained for operations in the tunnel, and the coaches have to be equipped with a separate 700mhz radio system for use inside the tunnel.

Interesting that everything is KCM spec but the tail lights are not they are PT spec.

Ok, that's right. 700 is the newer system, whereas 800 is older... I was correct though that buses needed a separate radio for use in the tunnel. Do they still have the 2nd separate control head for the 800mhz radio or has that been integrated into the OBS/ORCA system as well?

Ok, that's right. 700 is the newer system, whereas 800 is older... I was correct though that buses needed a separate radio for use in the tunnel. Do they still have the 2nd separate control head for the 800mhz radio or has that been integrated into the OBS/ORCA system as well?

The DDU handles the radios. When the bus approaches the tunnel on a tunnel route, the DDU automatically switches into DSTT Radio Mode, upon leaving the tunnel it automatically switches back. This also occurs when a tunnel route uses the surface when the tunnel is closed. There are ways to manually change it of course.

I'm going to make a shameless plug for the new Facebook group i started, Northwest Bus Fans, Discussion about Buses, Light Rail, and other Public Transportation and Private carriers in the Northwestern United States. Covering current operations, historical, excursions, private coaches, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthwestBusFans/

I recall hearing that there was hesitation in operating the XDE60 coaches in the tunnel due to the height of the wheelchair ramp and lower height of the Xcelsior coaches. It must not be as big of an issue, as I do see them in operation in the tunnel frequently.

The Metro XDE60s are now configured with a separate switch to the left of the kneeling switch on the front panel, which will elevate the coach up to 4 inches if placed in the raise position. It works similarly to the leveling switch on the side panel in the Metro 3700s.

Sound Transit has put out a RFP for 122 low floor cars for all ST2 projects instead of ordering them different times, waste of time and money:

http://seattletransitblog.com/2015/10/31/how-can-link-vehicles-be-improved

Why is this a waste of time and money? Is there something i dont know?

Generally, i thought that the larger your order, the better overall price you will get. Not to mention, from a maintenance standpoint its better to have one large fleet of like vehicles rather than 5 or 6 smaller ones, and trying to make them all happily work together. This way they only have the 100 series cars, and this new order as sub types which simplifies operations. Furthermore, by making one large acquisition, it will allow them to have the vehicles on hand for systems testing, and will allow them to keep a higher spare ratio in the meantime which will keep the mileage down on the fleet as a whole until the full deployment is needed. This also allows you more spare vehicles to um, work out the bugs with and not impact service. The only downside i can see, is that they will need to coordinate delivery with completion of various new storage and shop facilities, or expand the exisiting yard or somehow add temporary space to park all the cars until they are needed in revenue service.

Further:

Sound Transit "determined that procurement of all 122 LRVs under a single project would provide efficiencies in coordinating, monitoring, tracking and reporting of the project progress."

The only downside i can see, is that they will need to coordinate delivery with completion of various new storage and shop facilities, or expand the exisiting yard or somehow add temporary space to park all the cars until they are needed in revenue service.

Sound Transit selects Bellevue site for new light rail operations and maintenance satellite facility

You didn't actually read the article.

I did read the article. See bold and underlined section in my original post that Busdude.com ask me about:

Sound Transit has put out a RFP for 122 low floor cars for all ST2 projects instead of ordering them different times, waste of time and money:

http://seattletransitblog.com/2015/10/31/how-can-link-vehicles-be-improved

How did they end up with Kinkisharyo in the first place? Siemens seems to be more well equipped (experience and local support) than them.

I really like the interior layouts of TriMet's MAX trains. It seems they had a perfect example of what works and could have mirrored the MAX interior layouts.

Would they have been able to piggyback on TriMet's orders if they had wanted to (Not sure how it works with LRVs)?

Lowest responsible bidder probally. I have never been a fan of the Kinkisharyo product, both here and in San Jose. ST and TM use diffrent line voltages, not sure about the "envelope" for clearances. I suppose some of that is dictated by the clearance for the DSTT, the line voltage was something to save them from having to install more substations.

• 2 weeks later...