Sound Transit

transit boy

Damage ahead of the trailing edge of the front door, is an easy fix, bus will get rebuilt, put back in service probably next spring (insurance investigation, weather impacts).

If the damage had extended beyond the trailing edge of the front door, then likelyhood of repair would have gone down significantly (the core structure would have been affected, enough to possibly need a new tractor section).

This would be like a car getting hit in the right front and the front fender getting pushed into the wheelwell but nothing beyond the crumple zone. The bus frontal crumple zone is essentially everything forward of the yellow stripe inside the bus. If damage doesn't pass that point, it can be repaired. If it goes past, the frame's been compromised. Repairable, but it requires a lot more work.

• 3 weeks later...

Sound Transit routes 532 and 535 will be allowed to use shoulder lanes on Interstate 405 between highway 527 to NE 195th Exit and highway 522 to NE 160th St only between 6:00 am and 9:00 am hopefully WSDOT and ST can work together to extend the shoulder transit lane on Interstate 405 for BRT 405 which could be effective 365 days all day. Hopefully ST and WSDOT to also put shoulder lanes on Interstate 5 until Lynnwood Link opens.

http://commtrans.org/newsrelease/1623

Sound Transit routes 532 and 535 will be allowed to use shoulder lanes on Interstate 405 between highway 527 to NE 195th Exit and highway 522 to NE 160th St only between 6:00 am and 9:00 am hopefully WSDOT and ST can work together to extend the shoulder transit lane on Interstate 405 for BRT 405 which could be effective 365 days all day. Hopefully ST and WSDOT to also put shoulder lanes on Interstate 5 until Lynnwood Link opens.

Why would they need this on weekends?

Shoulder running is for areas that are too cheap to build true BRT. I wouldn't support wide implementation of it like you suggest.

Overall, building direct access ramps to the Express Toll Lane or HOV lane is a better way of moving BRT buses, although the best way to move BRT is on a dedicated right of way.

That being said shoulder running makes since in this particular section of 405. When the buses depart Canyon Park Freeway Station (located on the entry ramp), they travel a mere 1.6 miles on 405 before they have to exit to serve UW Bothell/Cascadia College and the Bothell P&R. After the buses return to 405, it's a short 1 mile trip to the Brickyard Freeway Station (also located on the entry ramp). After that the buses move to the Express Toll Lanes to serve the Totem Lake Freeway Station. Since that station is located on a direct access ramp in the median, shoulder running is no longer necessary.

Finally rode a XDE60 on route 550 today. Very comfortable ride with spacious seating. I rode in the trailer, and much like the Xcelsior trolleys operated by King County, people are not used to the "Touch to Open" rear doors. A few passengers were amused with the reverse seating over the 2nd axle.

When exiting towards the front (the rear exit door was obstructed), my brain expected there to be another set of doors by the 2nd axle joint seating. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking of the 3 door Rapidride layout.

Because it is Bus Rapid Transit which would allow it to go a 45 miles per hour for most of the trip.

With a couple exceptions, ST Express service is not BRT. It is a freeway express utilizing HOV/HOT lanes where available. The only portions of ST Express that could be considered BRT are the 550's segment in the DSTT and routes that use the SODO busway.

45 mph is the WSDOT's standard for HOV lane operations and is not related to the guidelines for BRT.

The only portions of ST Express that could be considered BRT are the 550's segment in the DSTT and routes that use the SODO busway.

Even ST has admitted that the 550 is not BRT and indicated that adding off-board payments (one of the pillars of BRT) would be one of the first steps in upgrading the line to such a classification.

Because it is Bus Rapid Transit which would allow it to go a 45 miles per hour for most of the trip.

I *HIGHLY* doubt these ST Express buses will be going 45 miles per hour on the shoulder of a freeway when the traffic is slow or stopped. That would be absolutely insane. It would just take one car drifting into the shoulder to create a huge wreck.

These buses will probably be going more in the 20-35 mph range, depending on how fast the traffic is moving in the general purpose lanes.

Another reason why shoulder running buses are a bad idea for true BRT.

I *HIGHLY* doubt these ST Express buses will be going 45 miles per hour on the shoulder of a freeway when the traffic is slow or stopped. That would be absolutely insane. It would just take one car drifting into the shoulder to create a huge wreck.

These buses will probably be going more in the 20-35 mph range, depending on how fast the traffic is moving in the general purpose lanes.

Another reason why shoulder running buses are a bad idea for true BRT.

Very true. Somebody needs to pull over for one reason or another. Being that it's the shoulder, you don't usually expect a vehicle coming up behind you if you need to pull over. As you say, one car pulls off to the side when a bus is coming and...yeah. They need an extra wide shoulder with frequent signs warning drivers that it may be an active traffic (bus) lane...Or just a dedicated bus-only lane (I can think of many better places for that than 405)

Finally rode a XDE60 on route 550 today. Very comfortable ride with spacious seating. I rode in the trailer, and much like the Xcelsior trolleys operated by King County, people are not used to the "Touch to Open" rear doors. A few passengers were amused with the reverse seating over the 2nd axle.

When exiting towards the front (the rear exit door was obstructed), my brain expected there to be another set of doors by the 2nd axle joint seating. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking of the 3 door Rapidride layout.

I rode two XDE60s (9653K and 61405P) yesterday. Finally got a decent chance to take a look around at the interior. Those 2nd axle seats look so small (I like what they did with the seats across the aisle from the rear door though). However IMO, it's much better to face forward/backward vs. sideways. When I sit sideways, I'm bumping my neighbors and vice-versa.

I find it interesting how there are no luggage racks in the rear and just a small area in before the 2nd axle high area. One has to stand-up to reach the overhead reading lights in the low section of the rear. Granted, there is no head hitting hazard (I have first-hand experience with that one).

9653K looking forward from the raised seat in the rear.

21956661058_e04d1630f7.jpg

61405P looking forward from the first row in the rear.

21521669014_23ef0ebdfc.jpg

[Edit] Please disregard this message. I just realized there is a separate forum for ST and upon reading it answered my question. I would delete it if it was possible (moderator?).

Just curious, do any/all new Sound Transit XDE60 buses support Hush Mode? (In other words, would we see XDE60s in the tunnel any time soon?) I've only spooted XDE60 on 545 or 577/8 so far.

Yes the 9652 to 9659 which are operated by KCM on behalf of ST.