Sound Transit

transit boy

With so many parts still in KC colours on the ST coach, it looks like they did not mean to keep the D60 in ST colours for a long time. (The fleet numbers, panels by the light, rear mesh panel, are all yellow in those pics.)

Were they only a short-term loan from KC?

WINGS

With so many parts still in KC colours on the ST coach, it looks like they did not mean to keep the D60 in ST colours for a long time. (The fleet numbers, panels by the light, rear mesh panel, are all yellow in those pics.)

Were they only a short-term loan from KC?

WINGS

the ST colors were a wrap; same with the gilligs that ST had on loan from metro for a while.

KCM's NFI D60's have Cummins ISM engines which required a larger engine compartment to fit those apparently. Everett Transit also has a few D60's built to the same specs as KCM.

I heard that KCM and Everett Transit are the only operators with that engine configuration...Is that a true claim?

@BCT-3122-D800-10240 I see you are in the Wiki editors group...Is it possible to update some of the Sound Transit information? There are some inconsistencies on the new New Flyer coaches...9637-9647 (there is no 9648-9651 yet) are DE60LFRs and there are 2010 MCI D4500s 9723-9739 in service. It's not in line with the "official" Sound Transit documents, but it is what they have out there. Also, New Flyer D60LFRs 9553-9565 are in service.

5435256940_dd24037c09.jpg

Sound Transit 2010 MCI D4500 9738P by zargoman, on Flickr

5434677041_ae971da403.jpg

Sound Transit 2010 New Flyer D60LFR 9556C by zargoman, on Flickr

5414656285_d35405215e.jpg

Sound Transit 2010 New Flyer D60LFR 9562C by zargoman, on Flickr

5472627574_779864c7fe.jpg

Sound Transit 2010 MCI D4500 9736P by zargoman, on Flickr

Thanks!

Today (2011 March 02) I rode ST 136.

It has the smell of new equipment and the paintwork is brilliant. Everything looks the same except that: the yellow indicator lights above each door have a different lens; the Kinkisharyo placard says "Kinkisharyo 2010" as opposed to 2007(?). By the time U-Link opens, the cars will probabyl be well-seasoned veterans.

Time to gradually update the active fleet list.

WINGS

Today (2011 March 02) I rode ST 136.

It has the smell of new equipment and the paintwork is brilliant. Everything looks the same except that: the yellow indicator lights above each door have a different lens; the Kinkisharyo placard says "Kinkisharyo 2010" as opposed to 2007(?). By the time U-Link opens, the cars will probabyl be well-seasoned veterans.

Time to gradually update the active fleet list.

WINGS

I was on 137 this afternoon.

5493239312_8408d54152.jpg

IMG_7225 by zargoman, on Flickr

5493238186_5406ee1332.jpg

IMG_7216 by zargoman, on Flickr

5492645373_2687399cb7.jpg

IMG_7213 by zargoman, on Flickr

The "P" is really small on 9042. Wasn't it a "K" coach previously?

5493233070_d07fe226c4.jpg

Sound Transit 1999 Gillig Phantom 9042P by zargoman, on Flickr

I was on 137 this afternoon.

5493239312_8408d54152.jpg

IMG_7225 by zargoman, on Flickr

5493238186_5406ee1332.jpg

IMG_7216 by zargoman, on Flickr

5492645373_2687399cb7.jpg

IMG_7213 by zargoman, on Flickr

The "P" is really small on 9042. Wasn't it a "K" coach previously?

5493233070_d07fe226c4.jpg

Sound Transit 1999 Gillig Phantom 9042P by zargoman, on Flickr

9042 was origonally delivered to PT as part of coaches 9037-9044, 9042 got reassigned to metro in 2005 when the 585 was eliminated, and than partially folded into the 564, and the coach came back to PT with the 566/577 contract.

I heard that KCM and Everett Transit are the only operators with that engine configuration...Is that a true claim?

As far as i know that is correct.

9042 was origonally delivered to PT as part of coaches 9037-9044, 9042 got reassigned to metro in 2005 when the 585 was eliminated, and than partially folded into the 564, and the coach came back to PT with the 566/577 contract.

Thank you...I'm not going crazy here. That would explain why 9037-9042 are now running for Pierce Transit. The thin font "P" was a giveaway that something was happening. Then I started second guessing myself as to what coaches were residing where.

Another Sound Transit related thing: I have been using the Sounder (instead of the ferry) to get to Seattle in the last month or so and couldn't help but notice that Auburn Station has a platform, new asphalt, then another platform that lines up with the doors. It's evident that the original platform was at the edge of the tracks, as there is the yellow bumpy line and the granite "welcome mats". I was wondering what they did to the original tracks and when they did it. I can't find any info other than the parking garage construction in 2003 on Sound Transit's website. This is the photo that Sound Transit has. It shows two yellow stripes. One where the tracks are now and one where the tracks used to be. The ramp for wheelchairs is extended over the newer section by wood...and the wood could stand to be replaced.

auburn_birds.jpg

Thank you...I'm not going crazy here. That would explain why 9037-9042 are now running for Pierce Transit. The thin font "P" was a giveaway that something was happening. Then I started second guessing myself as to what coaches were residing where.

Another Sound Transit related thing: I have been using the Sounder (instead of the ferry) to get to Seattle in the last month or so and couldn't help but notice that Auburn Station has a platform, new asphalt, then another platform that lines up with the doors. It's evident that the original platform was at the edge of the tracks, as there is the yellow bumpy line and the granite "welcome mats". I was wondering what they did to the original tracks and when they did it. I can't find any info other than the parking garage construction in 2003 on Sound Transit's website. This is the photo that Sound Transit has. It shows two yellow stripes. One where the tracks are now and one where the tracks used to be. The ramp for wheelchairs is extended over the newer section by wood...and the wood could stand to be replaced.

the Asphalt extension was built to give BNSF room to extend a 3rd track through the station. It's origonal to the station since it was built in 1998/1999.

That would explain why I saw so many "Out of service" Pierce Transit coaches on I5 South yesterday.

In regards to the pulling of the 1900s: Would that warrant using "retired" Sound Transit Gilligs on Metro routes? They have been running Eastside routes after all.

9023, 9025, 9027, 9029, 9030, 9031, 9055, 9056, 9059, 9060, 9063, 9066 and 9068 were all on KCM routes at one time or another today...I can't tell which routes they were, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were all East Base based.

it for 3rd main line i ask a sounder conductor like last year some time.

Sound Transit is getting plagued by these mudslides that keep happening on the tracks north of Seattle. On Friday, they were able to go as far north as Mukilteo and people going to Edmonds and Everett had to bus it. There was just two more slides that happened further south so there were no northline trains today and tomorrow. Sound Transit had Starline buses pulling up to 4th and Jackson to take people to Everett. For Mukeltio and Edmonds, passengers had to take one of the normal Community Transit buses. Amtrak has to bus their passengers to locations north and south, as there was another mudslide in Vancouver, WA. They had three Cascades trainsets sitting at King Street Station. I find it strange that BNSF hasn't done stabilization work at the common problem spots. It seems that every time it rains a lot, you can count on a slide that will cancel northline Sounder services.

I wonder why Sound Transit cant borrow some spare KCM artics to take people to Everett. I would think it would be cheaper than chartering Starline coaches.

Edit: There was another slide overnight and passenger trains are not allowed until 8PM on Wednesday.

Sound Transit is getting plagued by these mudslides that keep happening on the tracks north of Seattle. On Friday, they were able to go as far north as Mukilteo and people going to Edmonds and Everett had to bus it. There was just two more slides that happened further south so there were no northline trains today and tomorrow. Sound Transit had Starline buses pulling up to 4th and Jackson to take people to Everett. For Mukeltio and Edmonds, passengers had to take one of the normal Community Transit buses. Amtrak has to bus their passengers to locations north and south, as there was another mudslide in Vancouver, WA. They had three Cascades trainsets sitting at King Street Station. I find it strange that BNSF hasn't done stabilization work at the common problem spots. It seems that every time it rains a lot, you can count on a slide that will cancel northline Sounder services.

I wonder why Sound Transit cant borrow some spare KCM artics to take people to Everett. I would think it would be cheaper than chartering Starline coaches.

Edit: There was another slide overnight and passenger trains are not allowed until 8PM on Wednesday.

The BNSF tracks are cleared quickly so it dosent bother the freights at all, its their stupid moritorium on passenger trains (which IS BNSF, not the feds). I think it might behoove them to keep some of the 9000s around and stratigcally placed as a Regional Reserve Fleet for Sounder disruptions, etc.

The BNSF tracks are cleared quickly so it dosent bother the freights at all, its their stupid moritorium on passenger trains (which IS BNSF, not the feds). I think it might behoove them to keep some of the 9000s around and stratigcally placed as a Regional Reserve Fleet for Sounder disruptions, etc.

Seriously...I just realized that it was BNSF making the moratorium. It sounded like something that the FTA would come up with though. Let's see if we can get through tonight without more slides...I am skeptical though, as there have been some crazy heavy rains. (At least in Port Orchard).

Unrelated to transit, but related to the weather: I ran into this today on my way home from Gig Harbor. After the storm

looks like pt's st bus are working on onebusaway mite be only the ones being use as back ups on pt Locals

Whoa...they got a bunch of the ST Gilligs on PT routes...both 1999 and 2008. No MCIs though. Most of the Gilligs are working ST routes this morning. Maybe PT is using the ST coaches after their service day with ST and going to fuel all the CNG coaches. That would be doing two things: A) Allow ample time for the other CNG coaches to fuel; and -_- Minimize the use of the CNG coaches wherever possible.

Whoa...they got a bunch of the ST Gilligs on PT routes...both 1999 and 2008. No MCIs though. Most of the Gilligs are working ST routes this morning. Maybe PT is using the ST coaches after their service day with ST and going to fuel all the CNG coaches. That would be doing two things: A) Allow ample time for the other CNG coaches to fuel; and <_< Minimize the use of the CNG coaches wherever possible.

i got to see them the other day doing that an all of the pt's st are onebusaway they are 40_9XXX for sound

Whoa...they got a bunch of the ST Gilligs on PT routes...both 1999 and 2008. No MCIs though. Most of the Gilligs are working ST routes this morning. Maybe PT is using the ST coaches after their service day with ST and going to fuel all the CNG coaches. That would be doing two things: A) Allow ample time for the other CNG coaches to fuel; and <_< Minimize the use of the CNG coaches wherever possible.

It was in the last ST CEO report that they would be allowing PT to use the gilligs on the weekends to supplement their local fleet. I saw many out on the 1,2, 11, 48 last sunday.

I had to go to the Tacoma Mall today and decided to run down to the Tacoma Dome Station to see if I could catch any of the ST coaches on PT service. I did not see as many as I was expecting...but there were a couple of them.

5544622659_3ecfca0e1f_t.jpg

Sound Transit 2008 Gillig Phantom 9103P (Being used for Pierce Transit service) by zargoman, on Flickr

5544623511_192f2c52d2_t.jpg

IMG_8604 by zargoman, on Flickr

I had to go to the Tacoma Mall today and decided to run down to the Tacoma Dome Station to see if I could catch any of the ST coaches on PT service. I did not see as many as I was expecting...but there were a couple of them.

5544622659_3ecfca0e1f_t.jpg

Sound Transit 2008 Gillig Phantom 9103P (Being used for Pierce Transit service) by zargoman, on Flickr

5544623511_192f2c52d2_t.jpg

IMG_8604 by zargoman, on Flickr

I will say its nice to see gillig phantoms on local service. Just too bad they dont have 6v92TAs in them.

PT_0210_G3.jpg

That picture is unrepeatable today; the gilligs and bredas are gone; and probally soon even the puyallup fair service