Which TTC route branches do you think should turn into a new route themselves?

Goldeneye

One of those routes based on discussion that may be such a candidate would be current 91/91C/91F Woodbine to something like 93 Underhill and make the 91A the only 91 Woodbine service, based on schedule adherence and possibly due to the fact that the 91A is the only real Woodbine service whereas the 91/91C/91F operate farther north to York Mills and Woodbine Avenue isn't a very long street.

Proposed renaming of the branches would be something like this: 91C -> 93, 91 -> 93A and 91F -> 93B. But retain the 91A designation to lessen confusion.

I am not sure if any other route branch really comes into mind that would deserve its own route recognition as it currently stands.

I am not sure if any other route branch really comes into mind that would deserve its own route recognition as it currently stands.

Now that it's been saved from late-evening cutbacks, Islington South 110A could become Horner 38....oh, wait, that wouldn't be a new route would it? And anyway it seems that some upstart east-end "H" route has snaffled the number, dash it all!

Of course, if we did bring back Horner 38, then Islington South 110B would become Horner 38A.

One of those routes based on discussion that may be such a candidate would be current 91/91C/91F Woodbine to something like 93 Underhill and make the 91A the only 91 Woodbine service, based on schedule adherence and possibly due to the fact that the 91A is the only real Woodbine service whereas the 91/91C/91F operate farther north to York Mills and Woodbine Avenue isn't a very long street.

Proposed renaming of the branches would be something like this: 91C -> 93, 91 -> 93A and 91F -> 93B. But retain the 91A designation to lessen confusion.

In the case of the Woodbine bus, I think the TTC should focus more on making the headways of the branches merge evenly on the combined section of the route. There are periods with buses scheduled to depart within a few minutes of each other, leading to 20 minute scheduled gaps despite the 5-6 buses per hour.

In the case of the Woodbine bus, I think the TTC should focus more on making the headways of the branches merge evenly on the combined section of the route. There are periods with buses scheduled to depart within a few minutes of each other, leading to 20 minute scheduled gaps despite the 5-6 buses per hour.

There was a situation like that with buses coming out of Main Street Station a few years back. I'm not sure if TTC fixed the problem. Routes 20, 113, and 23 would all arrive and leave at the same time out of Main Street Station. I think it was people leaving shoppers world and having to wait a while for 3 buses to show up at once instead of it coming spaced out.

Having buses enter a terminal at once, like in Shoppers World in Brampton is good though. Everyone gets to make their connection without waiting long. With the last bus leaving the terminal, Route 52.

A co-worker of mine was thinking the other way. How does one go about getting routes merged? She thinks the 8 BROADVIEW should due to low ridership should be merged with say he 100 or 87 (her suggestion). I tried explaining what was going on behind the scenes.

Now, if you're thinking about splittig the 91 WOODBINE, perhaps combining it with the 8 so that there's a single route across the entire length of O'Connor. Say 8 + 91A to Broadview and the remaining 91 branches to Woodbine.

A co-worker of mine was thinking the other way. How does one go about getting routes merged? She thinks the 8 BROADVIEW should due to low ridership should be merged with say he 100 or 87 (her suggestion). I tried explaining what was going on behind the scenes.

Now, if you're thinking about splittig the 91 WOODBINE, perhaps combining it with the 8 so that there's a single route across the entire length of O'Connor. Say 8 + 91A to Broadview and the remaining 91 branches to Woodbine.

There's always reasons for why everything is at the TTC. In your example, the 8 is like it is now because there needs to be service provided along O'Connor between Broadview and Coxwell, where the 70 takes over. Before it used to be a much longer route. As to why the 91A goes down Woodbine, my idea is that people in the Parkview Hills area don't want to take a long bus trip to the subway; they'd rather go down Woodbine to meet the subway there.

Having the shorter 91A branch on Woodbine also provides a greater degree of reliability; if there's a delay or something up at the top end and the 91/C/F gets disrupted and delayed, the 91A still provides service along the Woodbine portion. One of my friends in university often takes the 8 from Broadview over waiting for the 87. Although his house is closer to Cosburn than O'Connor, he doesn't know how long the 87 will be delayed and will gladly take the 8 instead if it's waiting there; just an example of how the shorter reliable routes can be used to augment service on the heavier routes.

There was a situation like that with buses coming out of Main Street Station a few years back. I'm not sure if TTC fixed the problem. Routes 20, 113, and 23 would all arrive and leave at the same time out of Main Street Station. I think it was people leaving shoppers world and having to wait a while for 3 buses to show up at once instead of it coming spaced out.

First off, 23 does not serve Shoppers World Danforth. Secondly, for the most part 20 and 113 now run on weekend schedules that keep them evenly spaced out providing 9 minute service for most of Saturday and 10 minute service for most of Sunday along Danforth Ave. This can't be done on weekdays though because 20 and 113 require different frequencies where as most of their weekend schedules have the same frequency.

Try merging 71 Runnymede and 77 Swansea into 71 Runnymede 'cuz it eliminates having to transfer to either route. Plus it doesn't confuse bus drivers so much when showing transfers between both routes.

71 and 77 have been interlined for years, along with 77 and 79. In fact, before 77 Swansea was even a route is used to be a branch of both 71 Runnymede and 79 Scarlett Rd. The branches for the routes were the following:

71 Runnymede (The Queensway to Gunns Loop via Runnymede Stn)

71B Runnymede (The Queensway to Industry St via Runnymede Stn)

71C Runnymede (Runnymede Stn to Gunns Loop)

79 Scarlett Rd (Runnymede Stn to Jane & Lawrence)

79A Scarlett Rd (The Queensway to Jane & Lawrence via Runnymede Stn)

79B Scarlett Rd (Runnymede Stn to Jane & Lawrence via St Clair Ave W)

77 Swansea was introduced sometime between February 2000 and June 2001.

77 Swansea was introduced sometime between February 2000 and June 2001.
77 was introduced in January 2001
The service south of Bloor Street now provided by the 71/71B Runnymede route and the 79A Scarlett Rd. route will be designated as 77 Swansea, to provide a consistent name for the service and a name that better describes the area served. There will be no change to the schedule. Buses will run through between 77 Swansea and either 71/71B Runnymede or 79 Scarlett Rd. at Runnymede Station, so that through service is still possible along Runnymede Road. There will be no changes to the scheduled trip times.

IIRC when the Ridership Growth Strategy was introduced in 2008, the schedule for the 71/77/79 was changed so that the 77 operated with one dedicated bus on a (roughly) 20 minute headway during many of the operating periods. This has temporarily been halted though because of the construction at Runnymede Station, where the 71 and 77 operate through at most times.

IIRC when the Ridership Growth Strategy was introduced in 2008, the schedule for the 71/77/79 was changed so that the 77 operated with one dedicated bus on a (roughly) 20 minute headway during many of the operating periods. This has temporarily been halted though because of the construction at Runnymede Station, where the 71 and 77 operate through at most times.

Yes, it was changed to operate with no interlines during Saturday early and late evening service as well as all of Sunday. Before at these times it was interlined with 71.

Combining Route 74 with 103. Merging Route 129 with 16 just like the 21 going all the way up to Steeles. Changing Route 61A to just 61 to Highway 401.

The combination of 74 and 103 was looked at before and said to be an inconvenience to current riders on 103 that are going to the subway as it makes for a longer trip. Also, for most operating periods 103 requires more frequent service than 74. The only times that their frequencies are the same are during AM peak, Saturday early & late evening service and all of Sunday.

With 129 and 16, I don't see the point as 129 is always more frequent that 16 meaning that you would still have about every second "129" terminating at STC. Also, how many people even transfer between 16 and 129 at STC? I think most passengers from these routes are destined for the SRT. The only reason 21/128 merger worked IIRC is that at all time periods except peak periods 21 and 128 ran at the same frequencies so it didn't hurt to combine them and have 21A/21B during peak periods to provide the different frequencies north and south of STC.

If Graydon Hall and Silver Hills are deserving of being more than just a branch of 95 York Mills and 165 Weston Road North is deserving of being more than just a branch of 96 Wilson, why hasn't 37A been given a name of its own?

I'm not saying that there is any big problem with the current arrangement, but there are plenty of inconsistencies.

First off, 23 does not serve Shoppers World Danforth. Secondly, for the most part 20 and 113 now run on weekend schedules that keep them evenly spaced out providing 9 minute service for most of Saturday and 10 minute service for most of Sunday along Danforth Ave. This can't be done on weekdays though because 20 and 113 require different frequencies where as most of their weekend schedules have the same frequency.

There was an article about it a few years ago. 20 and 113 use to arrive and depart at the same time. I was talking about weekends only. I should habe mentioned that. 23 was still in the article tought for some reason.

If Graydon Hall and Silver Hills are deserving of being more than just a branch of 95 York Mills and 165 Weston Road North is deserving of being more than just a branch of 96 Wilson, why hasn't 37A been given a name of its own?

I'm not saying that there is any big problem with the current arrangement, but there are plenty of inconsistencies.

If you actually been on these routes you would no why. Just cause it looks like it should be one route on the map doesn't mean it should be in reality. 96 actually had a branch that covered what 165 does today. But that was a long time ago.

37A should stay has it is. The only thing that needs to be done to that route is extend it to Westwood Mall

If you actually been on these routes you would no why. Just cause it looks like it should be one route on the map doesn't mean it should be in reality. 96 actually had a branch that covered what 165 does today. But that was a long time ago.

37A should stay has it is. The only thing that needs to be down to thwat route is extend it to Westwood Mall

The 37A used to be 83 Rexdale.

You probably wouldn't have liked 166 Silver Hills-Graydon Hall. :P

The 37A used to be 83 Rexdale.

You probably wouldn't have liked 166 Silver Hills-Graydon Hall. :P

If I was a driver I probably would have...

In response to the other post above, I have ridden all of the routes I mentioned. I fail to see how they are that different. Anyway, my intention wasn't to change the routing or service levels, but simply question why it didn't have a name of its own. I would suspect that the turn at Bergamot is about half of the distance of the main Steeles-Islington Station branch.

I have always thought it would be a good idea to either make the 8 Broadview do right down to coxwell stn, instead of just coxwell and o'connor... or have it go past coxwell on o'connor over the bridge at woodbine and do the parkview hills route.

There's always reasons for why everything is at the TTC. In your example, the 8 is like it is now because there needs to be service provided along O'Connor between Broadview and Coxwell, where the 70 takes over. Before it used to be a much longer route. As to why the 91A goes down Woodbine, my idea is that people in the Parkview Hills area don't want to take a long bus trip to the subway; they'd rather go down Woodbine to meet the subway there.

Having the shorter 91A branch on Woodbine also provides a greater degree of reliability; if there's a delay or something up at the top end and the 91/C/F gets disrupted and delayed, the 91A still provides service along the Woodbine portion. One of my friends in university often takes the 8 from Broadview over waiting for the 87. Although his house is closer to Cosburn than O'Connor, he doesn't know how long the 87 will be delayed and will gladly take the 8 instead if it's waiting there; just an example of how the shorter reliable routes can be used to augment service on the heavier routes.

• 3 weeks later...
TTC should introduce a new 57 bus route just for elementary & secondary students that go to Hunters Glen or Jean Vanier CSS.Too crowded during morning/afternoon rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Afraid the solution is more bunching up, or the artic bus you dream about

TTC should introduce a new 57 bus route just for elementary & secondary students that go to Hunters Glen or Jean Vanier CSS.Too crowded during morning/afternoon rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

It's the same with any high school in Toronto. But how Neil McNeil gets 3 express SSs to Victoria Park (seeing that they only have 600-something Stuarts, while Cardinal Newman has about 1200) is beyond me.

It's the same with any high school in Toronto. But how Neil McNeil gets 3 express SSs to Victoria Park (seeing that they only have 600-something Stuarts, while Cardinal Newman has about 1200) is beyond me.

Where do the students attending Cardinal Newman live? Because many/most of the students attending Neil MacNeil live a good distance from the school and have to take transit because there isn't a school bus available to them - and not only that, but the bus service heading north to Victoria Park Station isn't particularly good.

I used to attend Leaside, and despite having over 1100 students there was only 1 school tripper, on the 56. Many students walked or drove to school, and those that didn't were well served by the other frequent buses on Eglinton. It might be the same situation at Cardinal Newman.

Dan