Gillig product discussion

2 hours ago, MVTArider said:

(responding here so I don't take the CENTRO topic off route...)

So is the LFS for that matter, just slowly adapted to include different features and style tweaks over the years. Similarly a 1998 Low Floor compared to a 2021 Low Floor will have some noticeable differences, though not so much in the basic exterior style. Totally agree though, a new improved model would be fantastic! It will also be interesting to see just how much longer the Low Floor model can go. Tacking on the BRT front cap does give it a more modern look and a number of agencies have opted for that.

It does seem a portion of the success of the Low Floor lately (and historically) is really its price. I think as soon as ElDorado, NFI, Nova, or another mfg. can consistently meet or undercut them on the more basic spec contracts, then they're in trouble and they'll need a solid successor to the Low Floor.

In all honesty , I think ElDorado is Gillig's closest rival.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

In all honesty , I think ElDorado is Gillig's closest rival.

ElDorado is only a serious rival in the shuttle market, in my opinion.  They sell few buses to any medium or larger transit agencies.  

Gillig's main rival is New Flyer, with BYD on the horizon if they ramp up their production in the U.S.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:18 AM, RailBus63 said:

ElDorado is only a serious rival in the shuttle market, in my opinion.  They sell few buses to any medium or larger transit agencies.  

Gillig's main rival is New Flyer, with BYD on the horizon if they ramp up their production in the U.S.

I think Gillig's main rival was New Flyer until they got rid of the D40LF & D40LFR. They were the main competitor with Gillig's advantage and BRT. In my opinion, I believe New Flyer should bring the resyled version back.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, chasbo2 said:

I think Gillig's main rival was New Flyer until they got rid of the D40LF & D40LFR. They were the main competitor with Gillig's advantage and BRT. In my opinion, I believe New Flyer should bring the resyled version back.

Hmm, I think the biz is treating the D40LF/R and the Xcelsior pretty much the same.

They're not dramatically different -- and, now that it's a mature model, the Xcelsior is cost-competitive with Gillig.

New Flyer's shift to "all-Xcelsior" didn't change its stance in the market. If anything, they've made inroads with some smaller systems that once leaned Gillig (Lincoln, Knoxville, Des Moines, Waukesha, etc)

It took me a while to warm up to the Xcelsior but I like them now. The larger windows (and narrower window pillars) brighten up the interior. And the ride is very smooth!

The main thing I don't like is that interior HVAC vent that juts into the cabin over the front axle. Very Gillig-ish. It blocks the view out the front and looks kind of menacing. Then again, later-model D40LFRs had that, too. Wish New Flyer could remove that hulking obstruction -- then it'd be a truly great ride!

• Like 1