Jump to content
ABQ RIDE

Gillig product discussion

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Chris H said:

St. Louis Metro is getting the similarly designed Gillig buses that VTA got, albeit electric versions.

https://allwheelsforward.com/st-louis-metro-partners-up-for-an-electrifying-future/

That is obviously a Photoshop, since the buses are not scheduled for delivery until 2020.  It's entirely possible that the actual buses could have standard headlights or even a BRT front.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 12:09 AM, doglover44 said:

What would you like to see different in the Gillig family ?

  • Update the standard body styling a bit, some rounded edges would probably make it less dull and boxy.
  • Redesign the frame/window lines a bit so the windows in the low floor section are a little lower
  • Tighten up or strengthen the interior assembly hardware so a typical unit doesn't rattle like a tin cup of change on rough roads (to be fair some of the rattling comes from the seats, equipment, and most low floor buses will inevitably have some rattling on rough roads, so I don't expect them to be silent)
  • Extend the front overhang a few inches, imagine adding 3" of space to the front door width and driver compartment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:50 PM, MVTArider said:
  • Update the standard body styling a bit, some rounded edges would probably make it less dull and boxy.
  • Redesign the frame/window lines a bit so the windows in the low floor section are a little lower
  • Tighten up or strengthen the interior assembly hardware so a typical unit doesn't rattle like a tin cup of change on rough roads (to be fair some of the rattling comes from the seats, equipment, and most low floor buses will inevitably have some rattling on rough roads, so I don't expect them to be silent)
  • Extend the front overhang a few inches, imagine adding 3" of space to the front door width and driver compartment

Agreed, plus move the HVAC unit to the roof on diesel and hybrid units.  I don't know what exactly does Gillig have against roof-mounted HVAC units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Agreed, plus move the HVAC unit to the roof on diesel and hybrid units.  I don't know what exactly does Gillig have against roof-mounted HVAC units.

I assume they will eventually offer a roof-mounted A/C, as this seems to be where the industry is slowly headed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I don't know what exactly does Gillig have against roof-mounted HVAC units.

Probably because it involves more plumbing and wiring, and thus more engineering.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Probably because it involves more plumbing and wiring, and thus more engineering.

 

Dan

But roof-mounted HVAC units are supposed to be more effective.  I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

But roof-mounted HVAC units are supposed to be more effective.  I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Effective how? Because that’s certainly not my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 3:48 PM, ABQ RIDE said:

Agreed, plus move the HVAC unit to the roof on diesel and hybrid units.  I don't know what exactly does Gillig have against roof-mounted HVAC units.

What is the big deal about roof mounted AC? So far it seems to me that the only difference is some agencies prefer one over the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×