Gillig product discussion

ABQ RIDE

There might be a few in the KU on Wheels system, I don't know if they've gotten any new additions to their fleet in the past couple years. They did have a few from the 80's or early 90's though. Lorenz probably still has a couple left that may make an appearance on Minnesota State Fair shuttles, although that isn't really 'running regularly'.

Oh okay.

• 2 months later...

Just to let everyone know, the City of Phoenix and Valley Metro RPTA has awarded a joint contract for 40-foot diesel and CNG buses to Gillig. This is pretty significant for Gillig, since this is quite a large order by a large TA.

Now I wonder if they will be the standard LF, the BRT, or the BRT Plus. Probably not the BRT Plus since Gillig didn't get the BRT part of the contract; that part of the contract was awarded to New Flyer. However, many TAs use the standard Gillig BRT in non-BRT applications. It would be odd to see the RPTA and the City of Phoenix go from the more stylish New Flyer LFRs to the more plain-looking Gillig LF.

Just to let everyone know, the City of Phoenix and Valley Metro RPTA has awarded a joint contract for 40-foot diesel and CNG buses to Gillig. This is pretty significant for Gillig, since this is quite a large order by a large TA.

Now I wonder if they will be the standard LF, the BRT, or the BRT Plus. Probably not the BRT Plus since Gillig didn't get the BRT part of the contract; that part of the contract was awarded to New Flyer. However, many TAs use the standard Gillig BRT in non-BRT applications. It would be odd to see the RPTA and the City of Phoenix go from the more stylish New Flyer LFRs to the more plain-looking Gillig LF.

How many buses were ordered from Gillig?

How many buses were ordered from Gillig?

The contract calls for 202 buses delivered over a 5-year period. The City of Phoenix will get most of the orders at the beginning of the period as they need to replace their 1998, 1999, and 2002 NABI 40-LFW LNGs. Later on, some of the buses may be used for the replacement of the City of Phoenix RAPID and City of Tempe express NABI 45C-LFWs, although this could be what the BRT options with New Flyer are for. At the end of the period, the remaining buses in the contract will likely be used to replace the RPTA's 2006 New Flyer C40LFRs.

The contract calls for 202 buses delivered over a 5-year period. The City of Phoenix will get most of the orders at the beginning of the period as they need to replace their 1998, 1999, and 2002 NABI 40-LFW LNGs. Later on, some of the buses may be used for the replacement of the City of Phoenix RAPID and City of Tempe express NABI 45C-LFWs, although this could be what the BRT options with New Flyer are for. At the end of the period, the remaining buses in the contract will likely be used to replace the RPTA's 2006 New Flyer C40LFRs.

ok nice size order for Gillig

TriMet's 3300 series Gillig Advantages should appear any time now. . . which would mean the 1400 series Phantoms built in 1990 will be extinct. The same contract also calls for up to 40 new 29-foot buses to be delivered in early 2015 to replace the 1600s.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

I believe El Dorado National would have also won the 40ft bus part of this contract if Gillig didn't bid on it...once again they got screwed on winning a major 40ft bus contract.

No they didn't get screwed. Gillig submitted a proposal and theirs was judged to be better than Eldorado's. A bit dramatic to say one got "screwed"

No they didn't get screwed. Gillig submitted a proposal and theirs was judged to be better than Eldorado's. A bit dramatic to say one got "screwed"

I think what he means is that the City of Phoenix once awarded a large contract to ElDorado a few years ago, which got cancelled because the City of Phoenix was unable to get funding for it due to the economy. ElDorado I am pretty sure wanted a second chance badly with this RFP, and they failed.

TriMet's 3300 series Gillig Advantages should appear any time now. . . which would mean the 1400 series Phantoms built in 1990 will be extinct. The same contract also calls for up to 40 new 29-foot buses to be delivered in early 2015 to replace the 1600s.

~Ben

I wish I could go to Orgen to ride those. Will any be preserved? Was there any particular reason why TriMet kept those awesome Phantoms for so long?

I wish I could go to Orgen to ride those. Will any be preserved? Was there any particular reason why TriMet kept those awesome Phantoms for so long?

I doubt Tri-Met will preserve any of the Phantoms. The Phantoms lasted longer because parts are easier to obtain than for the Flxible Metros.

Yes, that's what I meant what ABQ Ride said...I'm sure they're pretty happy winning the 30ft contract, which I'm sure Gillig also bid on.

Of course, the 30-foot bus contract is a very small order (less than 10 buses including options as far as I can remember), and I presume that order will be solely to replace the Phoenix-owned ElDorado EZ Rider IIs used on Route 19C.

• 2 months later...

With apologies to Detroit Diesel 6V92TA, I would like to know where and how old the oldest currently-active Gillig Low Floor is.

If you include airport shuttles, it could perhaps be a Hertz H2000LF at some airport in the United States. As for transit use, I am not sure. The Gillig Low Floor didn't really take off in sales until around 1998-1999, so I don't know if there are any in service that are older than that.