Gillig product discussion

ABQ RIDE

1. How much longer will this design be produced?

With the comparison to the New Look, which was produced for 27 years, it could be produced for quite a while yet. GILLIG really has no reason to create another model as long as:

- demand for the standard and/or BRT styling options continues to be profitable,

- regulations on weight and structure of transit buses don't change enough to warrant an overhaul of the design to meet new criteria

- new and existing fuel types can be accommodated with the current designs

- ADA and average passenger weight/space requirements don't change drastically

Looking at what else is available currently, the competitions' models are the same thing. New Flyer, NABI, Eldorado, and Orion all offer two doors* on their 30/35/40 foot models, low floor front to rear door, flip out ramp, two wheelchair positions, raised rear deck, and a variety of seating layouts with max seated capacity of about 25-30/30-32/38-42 (approximately) Yes a GILLIG Low Floor 35' unit is not the same as a NABI 35-LFW unit, in terms of looks. However, when it comes down to having X amount of dollars and needing to purchase 10 replacement buses, a TA executive is not going to say "Ugh, GILLIGs are everywhere and they rattle when they aren't maintained well, let's spend an extra $10,000 per bus and go with the Orions because they look cooler, even though no one out riding the bus everyday actually cares who made the bus as long as they get to work on time."

* Exception, New Flyer x30LF model

[/rant]

Interestingly, one example of a small TA who is loyal to New Flyer is Williamsburg Area Transport in Williamsburg, Virginia, operating a fleet of D30LFs and D35LFs. Ironically, their much larger neighbor Hampton Roads Transit is loyal to Gillig.

• 3 months later...

Based on my personal experience, it seems that a TA buys their first Gilligs, most remain Gillig customers for life, with very few of them ever defecting to other manufacturers unless they need artics, which Gillig does not offer. I know there are some exceptions, such as TheBus in Honolulu and KCM in Seattle. However, most stick with Gillig after buying their first buses from them. For example, ever since TRT and PENTRAN merged, with the exception of the few Optima Opuses in the fleet, HRT has bought from Gillig almost exclusively. PENTRAN was already a loyal Gillig customer, while TRT purchased a small number of Gillig Low Floors prior to the merger. Another example is LYNX of Orlando, Florida, who is currently all Gillig except for the NABI 60-BRTs.

I don't know of any American TA that shows similar levels of loyalty to New Flyer, Orion, NABI, or Nova. While ABQ RIDE has bought exclusively from New Flyer the past 7 years, I was told that the next bus order (presumably the replacement for the 300-series Neoplans) will probably be will be tendered out for bids, thus allowing any manufacturer to get the contract.

• 1 month later...

Looking at Gillig's website, Gillig has replaced the image of the Low Floor Hybrid bus with a BRT Hybrid. So I was wondering, is the Gillig Hybrid now only available in the BRT style? It seems that most if not all recent Gillig Hybrids have been of the BRT style, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the Hybrid option is now only available on the BRT model.

Looking at Gillig's website, Gillig has replaced the image of the Low Floor Hybrid bus with a BRT Hybrid. So I was wondering, is the Gillig Hybrid now only available in the BRT style? It seems that most if not all recent Gillig Hybrids have been of the BRT style, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the Hybrid option is now only available on the BRT model.

About time they updated that site!

"This variant is available in 30', 35', and 40' Low Floor bus models, and can be combined with the BRT styling packages."

It would make no sense to only offer the hybrid with the BRT option IMO. All that would do is make them lose out on any customers who want a cheap reliable hybrid bus, because suddenly to buy a hybrid from Gillig it requires the extra BRT package.

TriMet in Portland, OR is already going forward with buying 55 buses from Gillig (four of these are hybrids slated to begin their first journey on Line 72), and they are of the BRT variety.

It's said that not many TM drivers were satisfied (yes, my dad is among them) with the reliability of the 1990-91 Phantoms (Cummins L10 + Voith D863.2), although the same percentage seemed to like the 1997 Phantoms (with the Cummins M11E Plus engine, all use the Voith D863.3 transmission except for 2161-2165 which use the Allison B400R transmission) better.

Here's hoping that the third time will be a charm.

~Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Antelope Valley Transit Authority (AVTA) (north Los Angeles County) recently got some Gillig hybrid buses. A few days ago I saw a Gillig Low Floor on the 215 freeway in San Bernardino. It was probably headed to Transit Sales International.

During the long Christmas weekend last year, while I was traveling to northern California I saw a blue Gillig Low Floor traveling eastbound on CA-58 near Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert. I couldnt see the name of the transit agency, but since it was a diesel it migth of been being delivered outside the state.

I also saw a Gillig BRT in Bakersfield. Not sure if it was from Golden Empire Transit or another agency.

half gillig.jpg

I was only able to get half of the Gillig. It appeared out of nowhere (literally). I wonder if it was a shuttle for the military base, but I doubt it.

According to the Wiki in 2011 there was a 30' CNG demo/engineering bus so assuming all went well with that they would probably start producing it.

Thanks for the answer, I was asking because I think our time on the Chance Opus' 30' are up and we need something else than diesel or diesel related here in SoCal.

The ElDorado National E-Z Rider series may be a more proven model and has CNG options. Other California agencies are operating hybrid versions (eg. Santa Monica:

)

Oh thanks for reminding about that, Like the ones that are also on LADOT DASH

+ Did LBT Order 33 or 60 CNG units?

*LADOT DASH El Dorado National Buses are run Propane, which leads to another question: % of a Propane run Gillig Low Floor?

% of Gasoline-Electric? (If ISE is no longer in bankruptcy)

Well I have a few. Lol they don't sound all that good thanks to my phone but its good enough to tell that it doesn't sound like a Cummins. Even with the HVAC on its still loud enough to hear. Now, I am a huge fan of how the Cummins ISL and ISCs sound but the C9 in these sounds better. More aggressive and I'd even go as far to say it feels stronger. Even if my bus trip is five minutes at the most.

Well I have a few. Lol they don't sound all that good thanks to my phone but its good enough to tell that it doesn't sound like a Cummins. Even with the HVAC on its still loud enough to hear. Now, I am a huge fan of how the Cummins ISL and ISCs sound but the C9 in these sounds better. More aggressive and I'd even go as far to say it feels stronger. Even if my bus trip is five minutes at the most.

Are these uploaded somewhere by chance!?

Are these uploaded somewhere by chance!?

If I can figure out a way to get them off my phone and on to here I'd be glad to share one or two of them since they all sound the same. I'm hoping one of these days I can borrow my mom's mini camcorder and use that to get a small video.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh thanks for reminding about that, Like the ones that are also on LADOT DASH

+ Did LBT Order 33 or 60 CNG units?

*LADOT DASH El Dorado National Buses are run Propane, which leads to another question: % of a Propane run Gillig Low Floor?

% of Gasoline-Electric? (If ISE is no longer in bankruptcy)

From what I have heard from LBT it is a 60 bus order. They get 32 this year (the pilot last year) and the remaining 27 in 2013.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From what I have heard from LBT it is a 60 bus order. They get 32 this year (the pilot last year) and the remaining 27 in 2013.

Correction to my post above. Looks like its a 64 bus order and all 64 will be in service by end of this year.

http://lbbusinessjournal.com/long-beach-business-journal-newswatch/108-lof-scroller-articles-12-04-10/488-long-beach-transit-greening-its-fleet-with-new-cng-buses.html

Correction to my post above. Looks like its a 64 bus order and all 64 will be in service by end of this year.

http://lbbusinessjournal.com/long-beach-business-journal-newswatch/108-lof-scroller-articles-12-04-10/488-long-beach-transit-greening-its-fleet-with-new-cng-buses.html

Continuing from the Long Beach Transit Thread, are wheel covers now an option for the BRT series? Or is it a LBT thing only?

Not 100% sure but I think they are making it a BRT option.

I think that they become an option as well. Once Gillig or their supplier has the mold, diagram, machine or whatever is needed to make those it would make the most sense to keep offering them as an option to everyone. I remember a wood molding company that just saved any custom knife designs for cutting various trim styles, since the expensive part of making the design was already accomplished.

• 2 months later...

Some interesting notes on Gillig:

A Santa Monica staff report on procuring CNG buses noted they're the second largest transit bus manufacturer in the US, and they produce an average of 1200-1300 buses per year.

http://www.santa-monica.org/departments/council/agendas/2012/20120612/2012%200612%203B.htm

I'm curious, does anyone know what number of buses New Flyer produces per year? I just wonder how close or far apart they are in production.