ABQ RIDE

ABQ RIDE

As of yesterday, the last three Neoplans have been retired. Still no word on what will happen with #333 which was re-engined last month.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 11:25 AM, ABQ RIDE said:

As of yesterday, the last three Neoplans have been retired. Still no word on what will happen with #333 which was re-engined last month.

High floor buses are passing away. . . Thanks for the report!

17 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

High floor buses are passing away. . . Thanks for the report!

Interestingly, I initially expected ABQ RIDE to buy 30- or 35-foot buses for the D-Ride, since the reason the D-Ride was using the Neoplans after the SLFs were retired was due to their narrower turning radius than the New Flyer DE40LFRs or XN40s.  I guess that ABQ RIDE determined that the turning radius of the New Flyer XN40s was good enough for the route.

• Like 1

Hi!  I can also confirm ABQ Ride's fixed route fleet is now 100% New Flyer.  Here are my notable sightings on the rigids (DE40LFR's and XN40's):

Bus 755 is the highest numbered 700-series I've spotted.

ABQ-r157-755-1.JPG

Bus 968 was spotted serving the D-Ride service.  Apparently, they have decided to use 900-series of buses on this service after all.

ABQ-r040-968-2.JPG

2014 XN40 bus 617 was indeed back in service after an severe accident.

ABQ-r250-617-1.JPGABQ-r250-617-2.JPG

Bus 641 is the newest XN40 for now.

ABQ-r054-641-1.JPG

Also attached here are artics representing each of the Rapid Ride route:

2004 DE60LF 6410 spotted on the 777 Green Line.

ABQ-r777-6410.JPG

2006 DE60LF 6603 spotted on the 766 Red Line.

ABQ-r766-6603.JPG

2009 DE60LFR 6906 spotted on the 790 Blue Line.

ABQ-r790-6906-1.JPG

All were taken at downtown Albuquerque except buses 755 and 6906 (Northwest TC).

From the spotting standpoint, the 2nd St SW & Gold Ave SW intersection in downtown Albuquerque is by far the best place, as all routes serving the Alvarado Transportation Center will appear here.  You can pretty much spot all types in the flee without causing potential security issue by taking pictures at the TC per se.   My ABQ Ride gallery has most of the 6 or 7-days routes of that agency spotted in action.  Enjoy your viewing there!

• Like 2

Operational questions on ABQ Ride for ABQ RIDE:

1. From my observations at the ABQ Ride app, it seems that weekend bus operations outside the Rapid Ride routes is totally in the hands of the 700-series DE40LFR's.  So can you confirm if the 900-series of similar buses have moved back to the weekdays-only Yale facility in last October like the Wikipedia page for this agency said?

2. If the answer to the above is yes, what is the reason behind that move?

3. Why is the Yale facility open on weekdays only?

4. Can you recall which of the current non-Rapid Ride routes are strictly operated out of the Daytona facility on weekdays?  From my observation on the app, notable examples are the 51-Atrisco/Rio Bravo, 66-Central, 155-Coors, 198-98th Street/Dennis Chavez, 251-Albuquerque/Rio Rancho Rail Runner Connection and the 551-Jefferson/Paseo del Norte.  Can you confirm, correct and or add to my list?

5.On the other hand, which routes are strictly operated out of the Yale facility on weekdays?

6. What is the rationale to make the run particular weekday services out Yale or Daytona facility only, or from both?  I notice that the more frequent lines like routes 5, 8, 10, 11, 140/141 and 157 have their weekday buses coming from both facilities.

7. Which one between the Yale and Daytona facilities newer?

8. Finally for now, are there any plans to install CNG fuelling facilities at the Daytona facility?

I appreciate any insights into any of my queries.  Thanks!

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, Buzz2kb said:

Operational questions on ABQ Ride for ABQ RIDE:

1. From my observations at the ABQ Ride app, it seems that weekend bus operations outside the Rapid Ride routes is totally in the hands of the 700-series DE40LFR's.  So can you confirm if the 900-series of similar buses have moved back to the weekdays-only Yale facility in last October like the Wikipedia page for this agency said?

2. If the answer to the above is yes, what is the reason behind that move?

3. Why is the Yale facility open on weekdays only?

4. Can you recall which of the current non-Rapid Ride routes are strictly operated out of the Daytona facility on weekdays?  From my observation on the app, notable examples are the 51-Atrisco/Rio Bravo, 66-Central, 155-Coors, 198-98th Street/Dennis Chavez, 251-Albuquerque/Rio Rancho Rail Runner Connection and the 551-Jefferson/Paseo del Norte.  Can you confirm, correct and or add to my list?

5.On the other hand, which routes are strictly operated out of the Yale facility on weekdays?

6. What is the rationale to make the run particular weekday services out Yale or Daytona facility only, or from both?  I notice that the more frequent lines like routes 5, 8, 10, 11, 140/141 and 157 have their weekday buses coming from both facilities.

7. Which one between the Yale and Daytona facilities newer?

8. Finally for now, are there any plans to install CNG fuelling facilities at the Daytona facility?

I appreciate any insights into any of my queries.  Thanks!

I know I should have answered this earlier, but here is what I know.

1. Yes, the 900s are back at Yale.

2. Not sure, but the 900s were a Yale fleet originally.

3. Probably to save on staffing costs by having only one yard open.

4. That seems about correct.  Ironically the 51 used to be Yale-only.

5. I know the 1, 16, 36, 40, 50, and 97 are exclusively operated out of Yale on weekdays.  Not sure about commuter routes. Also, I thought the 140/141 were only out of Yale on weekdays, although this might have changed.

6. I don't think frequency has anything to do with it.  Some less frequent lines like the 2 and 31 also operate from both yards on weekdays.

7. The Daytona facility is newer, opening in 2004.

8. I heard rumors about it, although I can't confirm.

Now, going to the subject on why I am bumping this thread, here are some rumors that I heard:

• There are rumors that there will be a new Rapid Ride route on San Mateo known as the Orange Line.  According to the rumor, it should coincide with the opening of the ART.  To accommodate for this service change, rumors say that ABQ RIDE will move the 6600-series DE60LFs to the Yale Transit Facility, while keeping the 6900-series DE60LFRs at Daytona for the Blue Line.  The 6400-series DE60LFs will be retired and the Red and Green Lines will be discontinued.
  • Rumors say ABQ RIDE plans to replace the 700-series DE40LFRs in 2019 or 2020 with CNG buses.  ABQ RIDE still has unexercised options with New Flyer for more XN40s, which I think are good through 2020.
  • There are rumors that ABQ RIDE may be considering the New Flyer XE60 instead of BYD artics.  There was a report that ABQ RIDE actually recently privately tested an XE40.
  • There are rumors of ABQ RIDE possibly contracting out some services, either some of its lesser used routes or the SunVan paratransit service.
  • Like 1

ABQ is a great place to see CNG Xcelsiors in Chartreuse yellow.

Now they are unveiling true BRT. The only gold-rated BRT service in the United States, according to the Institute for Transportation & Development Policy!

Even better, the buses are electric! (BYD 60 footers). It will be fully operational in February, once final touches on stations are complete.

source:https://www.curbed.com/2017/12/20/16800586/bus-rapid-transit-albuquerque-brt-transportation

Update on the delayed BRT project in Albuquerque:

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/more-traffic-headaches-expected-with-art-reconstruction/4788104/

"ART reconstruction is underway and today the actual slope of some of the bus stops is going to be corrected.

The stop at Coors and Atrisco is expected to have intermittent right lane closures for the next three weeks as corrective work is done on the north side of the station.

KOB has also learned that five more ART buses will arrive in the city shortly. Right now, ten of 20 of the electric buses are in Albuquerque. The bus manufacturer has taken responsibility for the delay and has promised the city will get its entire fleet with no additional cost to taxpayers."

Six more ART buses arrive in Albuquerque; four still to come

Six Albuquerque Rapid Transit buses traveling in a convoy made the nearly 800-mile drive from Lancaster, Calif., to their new home in Albuquerque this weekend, arriving late Sunday night.

Source: https://www.abqjournal.com/1135818/six-more-art-buses-arrive-in-albuquerque-four-still-to-come-ex-city-still-working-on-resolving-issues-uncovered-on-buses-already-here.html

Looks like ABQ RIDE is terminating its contract with BYD, rejecting all buses:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1246094/abq-rejecting-all-byd-art-buses-switching-to-non-electric.html

ABQ RIDE will be ordering 10 non-electric buses.  Albuquerque Mayor Keller said it is from a well-known American company, I wonder if that means Gillig?  However, Gillig doesn't make artics.

19 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Looks like ABQ RIDE is terminating its contract with BYD, rejecting all buses:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1246094/abq-rejecting-all-byd-art-buses-switching-to-non-electric.html

ABQ RIDE will be ordering 10 non-electric buses.  Albuquerque Mayor Keller said it is from a well-known American company, I wonder if that means Gillig?  However, Gillig doesn't make artics.

Perhaps a stretch but XN60s built in Anniston?

• Like 1

I notice that ART uses doors on the driver's side. The only other company that makes articulated buses to that spec currently is New Flyer. NovaBus is still a possible contender but it depends on whether they feel like they wanting to take on such a special request or not.

• Thanks 1

As for going with clean diesel and not CNG, the Daytona Transit Facility is not equipped for CNG, and the Yale Transit Facility doesn't have space for artics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 6:44 AM, ABQ RIDE said:

As for going with clean diesel and not CNG, the Daytona Transit Facility is not equipped for CNG, and the Yale Transit Facility doesn't have space for artics.

Why not hybrid - guessing they would have enough in the budget for it given they had budgeted for all electric?

On 12/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, Jared Kam said:

Why not hybrid - guessing they would have enough in the budget for it given they had budgeted for all electric?

I'm guessing due to the issues with electric buses, they don't want hybrids either. ABQ RIDE moved away from hybrids under the Berry/Rizzieri administration; it was mainly the Chavez/Payne administration that was a big proponent of hybrids. Not sure what is the Keller/Toon stance on hybrids, but I'm guessing they didn't want to take any chances.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Are the new XD60s replacing the 2004 DE60LF or are they for expansion?

They will replace the rejected BYD electric artics first.

• Thanks 1