Grand River Transit

Why does GRT add so much unnecessary information to the INIT? Today it was saying some incomprehensible BS about vacating seats - in addition to displaying "please move to the back" on the screen.

I can already see where this is going:

Next Stop

Fairview Park

Oct 17, 2:51 p.m.

Please move to the back

Please leave by rear door

Have a nice day

www.grt.ca

Welcome aboard

Oktoberfest! Free ride after 11 p.m.

whatsthat.gif

I think it should announce "please move back" and "please exit by the rear door". These are common sense things to do when riding the bus but no one follows it anymore. I have to tell people to move back as space becomes available almost every trip. If I have to announce it a third time I just park the bus until they figure out why we aren't moving.

More details on the 2015 Service Improvement Plan, including a lot of good frequency/service span improvements:

• 1 - Sunday service increased to every 30 min
  • 2 - Saturday service added (every 30 min, 740am-10pm), evening service extended to 10pm
  • 7 - Will run every 7.5 min weekday daytime, every 15 at all other times. (For option 1 only, 7A and 7B branches will run every 15 min daytime, every 30 at all other times)
  • 8 - Evening and Sunday service increased to every 30 min
  • 15 Bingemans - Will run every 30 min weekday peak only
  • 20 - Weekday peak service increased to every 15 min, Sunday service increased to every 30 min
  • 22 - Sunday service added (every 60 min, 10am-6pm)
  • 23 - Saturday service increased to every 30 min, Sunday service added (every 30 min, 10am-6pm)*
  • 25 - Weekday/Saturday evening service increased to every 30 min
  • 200 - Weekday service increased (frequency TBD)
  • 204 - Will run every 15 min weekday daytime, every 30 min at all other times
  • 205* - Will run every 30 min at all times

*Option 2 only

For route changes see maps here.

A note about downtown routing of 204 iXpress: It will NOT serve Charles Street Terminal, and will instead stop at Benton/Charles, Duke/Young and Victoria/King.

A note about the Central Transit Corridor changes: There may not be any resources to increase service on local routes along University Ave. and Columbia St. at this time. GRT is monitoring ridership closely and if existing routes cannot pick up the slack and there are no resources available to add buses, changes to route 7 and 200 may be postponed until 2016-17.

A note about downtown routing of 204 iXpress: It will NOT serve Charles Street Terminal, and will instead stop at Benton/Charles, Duke/Young and Victoria/King.

Right, so not only will it take the longest possible route through Downtown Kitchener, it will bypass the busiest transfer point in the entire network. GRT be smoking crack for breakfast.

I like that the 15 is going out to Bingemans, but Peak only is a bad idea. 15 should be doing that all day. Weekends included.

This.

All GRT is going to get is two empty buses. I would rather see those buses put to use by extending the proposed 205 so that it travels the length of Ottawa St. from Prosperity to Lackner. With the help of route 3's resources and route 22's proposed Sunday Service, I think this is feasible.

I like that the 15 is going out to Bingemans, but Peak only is a bad idea. 15 should be doing that all day. Weekends included.

I like the idea of combining this new Route 15 with Route 4 to make a regular cross-town route. That may apparently be more feasible after the Grand River Hospital area is reconstructed with the LRT.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 7, 8, 12 needs a major cleanup, but with the university petition, I don't think the 2015 service change (at least the cleaning up 7 part) will actually be put into place... which is kind of depressing because the petition is so misleading, yet 1,200 short-visioned students (sorry for the blunt word use here) signed it anyways... 7D/7E ending up staying means more and more complaints over the route...