Grand River Transit

Transit 20

Buses are routinely 5 minutes late. If I have to be at the stop 5 minutes early in order to catch the bus, then often I'll end up standing there for 10+ minutes, after having walked to the stop. I don't like waiting that long. It's easy to tell other people to get to the stop 5 minutes early, but it's not so pleasant to actually do, day in and day out.

That said, I haven't often seen GRT buses early by more than 3 minutes.

How would you compare GRT to YRT?

YRT had a radio system back then when you can ask the driver to call the connecting driver for a connection, so the connecting driver would know the connecting stop would have someone getting on, and if you don't make it on time the connecting driver will wait for you.

They unfortunately eliminated it with the installation of the INIT system. However, GRT managed to keep the radio system intact, and I've noticed in many occasions drivers using it to call connections.

Buses are routinely 5 minutes late. If I have to be at the stop 5 minutes early in order to catch the bus, then often I'll end up standing there for 10+ minutes, after having walked to the stop. I don't like waiting that long. It's easy to tell other people to get to the stop 5 minutes early, but it's not so pleasant to actually do, day in and day out.

That said, I haven't often seen GRT buses early by more than 3 minutes.

From a choice rider perspective and with the GPS system, there is no reason that a passenger should have to arrive more than two minutes early. All GPS systems will tell the driver if they're running early, so there is now excuse for running more than two minutes early, if that. As mpd618 said, if a bus might be five minutes late, making a passenger arrive five minutes early on top of that, when it shouldn't be needed, makes no sense, and will put people off of transit.

whats with all the whining about buses being early, as some have said, be AT your stop 5 minutes BEFORE your bus is slated to arrive, my route is routinely at least 3-4 minutes early at my stop, because the padding in the running time is too much sometimes, depending on traffic & passenger loads..

whats with all the whining about buses being early, as some have said, be AT your stop 5 minutes BEFORE your bus is slated to arrive, my route is routinely at least 3-4 minutes early at my stop, because the padding in the running time is too much sometimes, depending on traffic & passenger loads..

Also; the Driver's Itinerary (time card) does not "always" show the same "time points" as the Public Timetable does, so my point is, as long as the Driver is at the "time point" when he/she is supposed to, and is following the time shown on their INIT screen +/- 30 seconds (+/- 1/2- 1) they are running "on time", and that could mean passing by a stop earlier than "you" think it should be there.

On "some" of the Public Timetables there are times indicated that "are not" shown on the Drivers itinerary, and vice versa, there are time points shown to the Driver that "are not" on the Public Timetable ............................ SO ......................... I tend to agree with "TTC7350", just get to the stop 5 minutes earlier and you have nothing to worry about. If you're concerned about making connections then the answer is even more obvious .................. you should probably be getting the bus "one" bus sooner than the one you're running to catch, or just missed, because "you" think it's running early.

When one out of eight busses leaves a terminal a minute or two early, especially if it is a key connecting route, then of course is it a concern. It is a concern for a student making a connection for a class. It is a concern for a senior getting to an appointment. However it is not a concern for drivers to worry how many stops a person got on the bus for.

When going to a very urgent appointment of any sort via public transit, it is wise to not plan your trip so as to arrive a) at the last minute; :( on the very last bus before the time you need to be there; or c) on any route known to experience overloads on a regular basis. You will fail more than you will succeed if you do any of these.

Be there 5 minutes early is a good rule. If my GPS differs from your watch, who loses ?

When timing things to the last second, ties can go either way depending on how you treated me yesterday.

Also; the Driver's Itinerary (time card) does not "always" show the same "time points" as the Public Timetable does, so my point is, as long as the Driver is at the "time point" when he/she is supposed to, and is following the time shown on their INIT screen +/- 30 seconds (+/- 1/2- 1) they are running "on time", and that could mean passing by a stop earlier than "you" think it should be there.

On "some" of the Public Timetables there are times indicated that "are not" shown on the Drivers itinerary, and vice versa, there are time points shown to the Driver that "are not" on the Public Timetable ............................ SO ......................... I tend to agree with "TTC7350", just get to the stop 5 minutes earlier and you have nothing to worry about. If you're concerned about making connections then the answer is even more obvious .................. you should probably be getting the bus "one" bus sooner than the one you're running to catch, or just missed, because "you" think it's running early.

+1 !!!!!

When going to a very urgent appointment of any sort via public transit, it is wise to not plan your trip so as to arrive a) at the last minute; :( on the very last bus before the time you need to be there; or c) on any route known to experience overloads on a regular basis. You will fail more than you will succeed if you do any of these.

Be there 5 minutes early is a good rule. If my GPS differs from your watch, who loses ?

When timing things to the last second, ties can go either way depending on how you treated me yesterday.

Be early or you'll be late... that simple!

I wonder when they're going to fix the Rt. 12 Bus Pad at Forest Glen Plaza? The one with all the broken up concrete, that is a "tripping hazard" accident, just waiting to happen. Oh ya; I forgot ........ it's being done by the same people who are supposed to be repairing the roof at the CST! Oh my! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
hey everybody the GRT has a new web site here is the link.

http://www.grt.ca/en/index.asp

I like it :lol: I guess they haven't forgotten about the 9600's because there is one in slide 1. Slide 3, I always see that wheel chair guy, he's pretty cool.

I wonder when they're going to fix the Rt. 12 Bus Pad at Forest Glen Plaza? The one with all the broken up concrete, that is a "tripping hazard" accident, just waiting to happen. Oh ya; I forgot ........ it's being done by the same people who are supposed to be repairing the roof at the CST! Oh my! :D

Agreed, it never used to be that bad, it got worse now...

You can blame the St. Mary's clowns, as he calls it. :)

Doesn't it take two to "tango"? I'll be the first to admit I don't know what happened, (fight?) BUT, to be "suspended", and possibly "expelled", well, you have to have it coming to you ................

(Sorry, this isn't really the Forum for this, but he does seem pretty "proud" of what's happened. After all, he even made it part of his "signature")

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/articl...ansion-approved

Major transit expansion approved

WATERLOO REGION — Regional councillors have approved details of the largest transit expansion in the history of Grand River Transit.

The expansion will cost taxpayers about $5 million a year. It launches partly in June and partly on Sept. 5. Highlights include:

• A new express service on Fischer-Hallman Road in Kitchener and Waterloo.

• More frequent service on a variety of Cambridge routes.

• The redesign and realignment of several other routes, to increase frequency and speeds.

• Extra buses for the intercity express service June 27, increasing frequency to every 10 minutes on weekdays.

Council approved the expansion in the 2011 budget, hiking taxes by 1.2 per cent to pay for it. Bus fares will also rise July 1.

It’s the launch of a 23-year transportation plan to build rapid transit and establish cross-town express routes to feed passengers into rapid transit. The plan, fuelled by annual tax increases estimated at up to 1.5 per cent, aims to make residents four times more likely to ride transit.

Chair Ken Seiling sees it as a first step to a better-balanced transportation system. “The road system certainly can’t sustain unbridled growth,” he said. “Improving the bus service, if we want to give people alternatives, is a key part of it.”

“We’re really glad to see the improvements that are coming this year,” said Michael Druker, of the pro-transit Tri-Cities Transport Action Group.

Tuesday’s vote to expand transit was not without challenges.

After residents objected, council delayed a planning recommendation to streamline a west Kitchener route that shuttles passengers into the downtown.

Planning staff want Route 20 shortened because it is frequently delayed by traffic. This causes frustrated passengers to miss downtown connections, discouraging transit use.

However, streamlining the route would force some passengers to walk farther. Affected passengers complained this would also discourage transit use.

Planners warned politicians to expect similar challenges as they try to make buses faster and more reliable, while also meeting demands for slower routes that meander through subdivisions.