Grand River Transit

Transit 20

For those working at GRT, please answer the following. Why is it that approximately after 2 years since the paper schedule redesign, some routes still have the old design (e.g., 7, 8, 12)? Silly and sad that they still have not figured out how to put together some routing schedules into the new format.

For those working at GRT, please answer the following. Why is it that approximately after 2 years since the paper schedule redesign, some routes still have the old design (e.g., 7, 8, 12)? Silly and sad that they still have not figured out how to put together some routing schedules into the new format.

I think it's because those are major routes, and it's hard to convert it to the new format due to their complex scheduling and routing.

Good riddance. I don't know how people like the new maps more.

CST Roof Repair Schedule

Looks like they've "updated" the schedule. It appears that they've fallen behind schedule and future lane closure have "yet to be determined" ...... way to confuse the hell out of people. :unsure:

The above quoted post was dated November 19, 2010, regarding a delay in the CST roof repairs ......................... Hmmm? I thought originally it was supposed to be finished before Christmas. It's now coming up on April, this week, and it's still not finished! (4 1/2 months!) WTF. I'd never use Alliance Roofing for anything based on this horrible track record. Does anyone have any idea when this will be finished? I assume that they've already been paid? (I guess we'll be back parking on Charles Street again whenever the time comes.) Oh My!

The above quoted post was dated November 19, 2010, regarding a delay in the CST roof repairs ......................... Hmmm? I thought originally it was supposed to be finished before Christmas. It's now coming up on April, this week, and it's still not finished! (4 1/2 months!) WTF. I'd never use Alliance Roofing for anything based on this horrible track record. Does anyone have any idea when this will be finished? I assume that they've already been paid? (I guess we'll be back parking on Charles Street again whenever the time comes.) Oh My!

Snow hampers the ability of roofing crews in the winter which might have a part of the delay(and with this winter theres been plenty of snow). Nonetheless the roof should have been covered before winter under the assumption work would continue all winter.

I think it's because those are major routes, and it's hard to convert it to the new format due to their complex scheduling and routing.

Good riddance. I don't know how people like the new maps more.

....And this was not known when the new design was picked and implemented for the other routes?

....And this was not known when the new design was picked and implemented for the other routes?

The new design was implemented because it was too much work to keep the old maps up to date. However the new maps are less useful and more difficult to read. The solution was to have the more complex and heavily used routes be in the old format, and other routes in the new one. It seems like a reasonable compromise to me. Use the more expensive format only where it's required, use the cheaper format where it's not as important. I'd prefer they all be in the old format, but a compromise is better than a full switch.

Is GRT thinking of making changes to the 22? I understand why they'd want to conduct a survey on the 12, but the 22 caught me off guard.

Surveying both the 12 and the 22 seems relevant to planning the Fischer-Hallman express stop locations.

Hmmm........... Just contemplating the "fire" that occured on King Street Saturday night/Sunday morning. As of today, King Street is still closed between Queen & Frederick/Benton. That makes it now into the 3rd full day, without any definate time line as to when traffic will be restored. So, my point is, ................. "if" there was an "LRT" line running up King St., would that mean then that there would be no LRT service running for 3+ days? Would the "trains" then "back up" since there would be no place for them to "turn around"? (OK, we all know that this "portion" of King Street is not proposed for LRT, BUT, this could happen anywhere along the propsed LRT line.) So, what would happen? The street is closed due to a major incident (think of the "University Shops Plaza" fire; the Apartment fire on King Street?)................. does "everything" on the LRT grind to a halt until things are restored to normal? (An "incident" could be a "fire", major "accident", Police response ................??) Curious as to what the plan would be in this case? Buses on a "detour route"?

does "everything" on the LRT grind to a halt until things are restored to normal? (An "incident" could be a "fire", major "accident", Police response ................??) Curious as to what the plan would be in this case? Buses on a "detour route"?

LRT would be able to short-turn from both directions, and perhaps use improvised stations. And yes, buses would be deployed to fill in the gaps. There would be tremendous pressure to have the street open as soon as possible for LRT, precisely because it can't detour. The kind of pressure there is to make sure a 400-series highway is running, and not the kind of pressure you see for opening King Street right now. (What pressure? Exactly.)

None of the fires you refer to are located along the LRT route. These kinds of things do not happen very often.

(An "incident" could be a "fire", major "accident", Police response ................??) Curious as to what the plan would be in this case? Buses on a "detour route"?

How about just one broken down train ? Happens in Toronto with subways and streetcars and it is chaotic. Typically a "bus bridge" is used but GRT just does not have the equipment for such things.

How about just one broken down train ? Happens in Toronto with subways and streetcars and it is chaotic. Typically a "bus bridge" is used but GRT just does not have the equipment for such things.

It's pretty easy to push a broken down train out of the way, the trains can be coupled. In either case, that's what the switchovers are for. They let trains cross over onto the tracks on the other side to get around a broken train. The use signals to ensure one train doesn't run into another (taking turns on the single bypass track).

Just left the PCC as well, here are some details:

- The seven new express (X) routes will be of 7 colours: blue, orange, purple, yellow, red, pink, and olive. I did suggest adding the current iXpress into the colours as well, perhaps green?

- Souvenirs available include pens, pencils, timbits, monthly pass holders? (those plasticy rubbery things...I can't figure out how it works), and if you come at around 6 or 7, you get free pizza as well.

- Blue X stops will be the following: Forest Glen, Laurentian, Westmount, Activa, Ottawa, Greenbrook, Highland Hills (on street), Victoria, Glasgow, University, Thorndale, Erb, Keats Way, Columbia/Fischer-Hallman, Columbia Lake Village, and depending on the looping there might be a stop along Phillip, Hazel, King, or UW - Davis Centre.

- 29 Keats Way will, indeed, have Sunday service. Also, weekday peak service will be every 10 minutes.

- I brought up my 12 split idea to GRT, which was operating a branch from Conestoga Mall to Highland Hills Mall via the current routing, and a branch from University/Lincoln and Fairview Park via the new routing. This would alleviate some load along the Blue X, and would improve the reliability along the otherwise long route. They were very impressed with that idea, and quickly jotted that down in possible route 12 improvements.

I would've taken a look at the redesigned bus map, but I had class at 6:00pm (arrived at around 5:15pm) so I had to leave. I wouldn't have thought I'd be spending so much time looking at the maps and asking questions and such.

Uhh.... and what happends with the 'branding' of the iXpress, 110, 111, and 116? So now we have express routes using the names iXpress, 11x, and colour X. Once again, who is the mind putting these plans together?

I don't really call the 110, 111, and 116 as part of the branding program...they're pretty much just faster versions of their mother routes to serve Conestoga College students (10 and 16...dunno about the 111 though).

Route 12 should be split at King and U just like the old days when the top part was 9 Lincoln (forming a circle route with 9 Lakeshore) which worked fine.

The you take the 12 through UofW and along Columbia, Regina, University providing relief on overcrowded buses there. Then again what do I know.

I don't really call the 110, 111, and 116 as part of the branding program...they're pretty much just faster versions of their mother routes to serve Conestoga College students (10 and 16...dunno about the 111 though).

And you would disagree that the Fischer-Hallman express route is not an express version of the 12? It is based on the 12 and it was created due to overcrowding of the 12. All the same reasons that 110 (10) and 116 (16) were created. It just seems silly to me to use three different ways of calling express routes in the region. Pick one notation/branding and stick to it.

P.S. The new Fischer-Hallman express was primarily created for UW students.

And you would disagree that the Fischer-Hallman express route is not an express version of the 12?

It would be the 112 if the 12 stays on Fischer-Hallman, but as you know it's not the case. The two routes are different now.

It's not created due to overcrowding of the 12. It's created to shorten the time travel of the 12, provide faster service along Fischer-Hallman, and provide more grid-type service along Kitchener-Waterloo.

As for serving primarily UW students, I doubt a UW student would take the Blue X from Forest Glen when the 12 would be a faster option...you'd pretty much be saying service would be dead south of Highland Hills. What about the area around Activa and such? Laurentian?

Also, don't forget the RIM folks along Columbia.