Grand River Transit

Transit 20

I have a question regarding buses that idle. Do buses need to idle, or can they be shut down when they're not in use? I'm wondering because I saw Ixpress buses idle for 10 minutes at Conestoga Mall. Thanks.

In my opinion, while passengers are onboard, air conditioned buses must remain on while passengers are onboard. Lets not forget that these "solariums on wheels" heat up VERY quickly as soon as they are shut down. If the bus is not in use, and no one is onboard, then I don't see any reason why it can't be shut down, aside from the fact that it will take a while to cool down as soon as it is needed again. The same applies to heating.

Cambridge was getting A/C buses from Kitchener, because Cambridge drivers whine and complain too much about the buses that dont have A/C, so Kitchener sent down a few extra A/C buses...

I'm not sure about that. I thought you meant A/C repairs.

GRT's moving on with plans for expansion of the Conestoga (South) Garage this year. A report is going to the Planning and Works Committee this week detailing the progress of the design of the expansion.

The report also mentions future expansion of the Strasburg (North) Garage in the future (in addition to what's been done already) by building a new building on land te City of Kitchener currently owns (I'm assuming behind the existing garage)

Here's the report... http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/regio...pdf?openelement

• 2 weeks later...

Regional Council approved tonight (May 2) the purchase of 4 more NOVA LFS buses this year. This is in addition to the 20 already ordered for '07 so now we will be getting 24 total!!!! :) This was already expected, GRT said they would order 2-4 more buses depending on whether the University of Waterloo adopted a UPASS program similar to Wifred Laurier's, whcih they did alittle while ago. This decision makes it official! :rolleyes:

Regional Council approved tonight (May 2) the purchase of 4 more NOVA LFS buses this year. This is in addition to the 20 already ordered for '07 so now we will be getting 24 total!!!! :lol: This was already expected, GRT said they would order 2-4 more buses depending on whether the University of Waterloo adopted a UPASS program similar to Wifred Laurier's, whcih they did alittle while ago. This decision makes it official! :rolleyes:

Great to hear! This thread was beginning to die :D .

Well, I'm still itching to see the final Waterloo Area route reconfiguration proposal, it's supposed to be released this month (May) so I have to be patient :rolleyes: ...and of course I will post it here as well when it comes out!

This is the currnet Waterloo Area Route Reconfiguration Proposal:

Recommended Service Changes

NEW! iXpress evening and weekend service

NEW! Route 5 Eastbridge midday, evening and Saturday service

NEW! Route 13 15-minute peak weekday service and Sunday service

NEW! Route 28 serving Ira Needles Boulevard and Keats Way to the University of Waterloo*

Improved Route 4 extending to University Avenue and Ira Needles Boulevard*

Improved Route 5 extending to Auburn Drive and University Avenue*

Improved Route 8 15-minute peak frequency for the Waterloo area and 30-minute evening frequency (until 10:00 p.m.) for the entire route

Improved Route 9 extending to University of Waterloo via University Avenue*

Improved Route 12 extending to Bridge Street and University Avenue*

Improved Route 73 busPLUS connecting with the McCormick iXpress station*

You can see the map on the website.

Im gonna be looking forward to the iXpress on eveningts & weekends ! It sucks going to Kitchener/Waterloo and coming back to Cambridge after 7:30 and having to transfer so many times.

Anyone think the iXpress will EVER Run on Sundays ?? lol

Also the other day I was on 2410 and the GPS system was all hooked up and operating as well as the "init" sign inside the bus, the sign was only displaying " iXpress Conestoga Mall" but its a start !!!

Cambridge has a bus shortage too ! 520 (the oldest bus in Cambridge fleet) Has been spotted in regular service a few times this week, I seen it on the 51,53,59 and 67 aswell as spare. The day it was on the 59 it got replaced with iXpress 2407 then 520 went on the 51, This wasnt a very smart move...

Glenview Park's school special has been cancelled every day since last friday due to the fact that there simply, is no bus to take the run, I'd imagine some other schools Specials have been cancelled too.

Ok, now having had a chance to look at the map I can say I'm quite dissappointed...there almost nothing changing (sarcastically speaking), I'm speaking of the routings of course, not the new service levels (which is great).

One of the PRIMARY issues with the Waterloo Srvice area identified BY GRT STAFF in recent years was the lack of North-South Connectivity in the West end and East-West connectivity in the East end. I'm am failing to see how the proposal changes ANY of that from what we have today, aside from the new route 28, there is no new connectivity anywhere in Waterloo. This proposal is also drastically watered-down from the "options" that were presented in the handouts at the earlier PCC's (which are laying in front of me as I type this).

In those handouts were proposals for several new routes including via Columbia/Lexinton to RIM Park and back to Conectoga Mall via Northfield as well as an additional route through the Lakeshore area to suplement Route 9. There was also a route proposed for Ira Needles and Highland Road connecting West Waterloo to Highland Hills Mall. I'm not seeing any of this in the final proposal.

Route 4 aside from servicing Resurrection High School is still a route to nowhere. Sure, there's a Costco going in at the roundabout where it will end as shown, but who goes to Costco on a bus, people take their SUV's to Costco.

Route 13 would benefit greatly from connecting to Erb Street, people who live in the area and want to shop in the area (all the new stores going up at Erb and Erbsville) must travel to the U of W to do so...oh wait, they will just drive! I'll make a map of what I sent in for my comments to GRT, it will be done before I hit the hay tonght, I will post it for comment...

Also the other day I was on 2410 and the GPS system was all hooked up and operating as well as the "init" sign inside the bus, the sign was only displaying " iXpress Conestoga Mall" but its a start !!!

I noticed this almost exactly a month ago (but I didn't say anything). There was also a sign at the... oh what is it called... *goes to look* - oh yes - McCormick station. It must have been on, because it caught my attention in the rain, but I didn't see what it said. On the way back, I forgot to look at the sign.

They're making progress indeed.

The 28 is actually quite disappointing as well...it doesn't cover any new areas since the end loop duplicates the 5, yet I see a rather large area to the west of there with no service. Why not just combine the 13 and 28 so that the 13 loop is Fisher-Hallman/Erb/Erbsville, then serving some of the residential streets off there before continuing to the current 13 routing through Laurelwood and back to U of W?

And you say they've built a new shopping centre at Erb & Erbsville? What's in there that would require two routes serving it?

Also, didn't someone say on here that GRT wanted to run buses later at night? I don't see any evidence of that in this proposal, yet we do need later evening service, at least on some routes.

And you say they've built a new shopping centre at Erb & Erbsville? What's in there that would require two routes serving it?

They've opened a Canadian Tire already and a Shoppers Drug Mart is under construction. It's another commercial power centre, or rather a large area of commercial developments, that more-or-less will extend along Erbsville/Ira Needles from just north of Erb Street to University Avenue (where the Costco will be).

Here's what I, personally, would've like to have seen, I submitted these route ideas to GRT staff earlier...

Please note, I didn't show Route 14 (me lazy) or any of the other Kitchener routes, but they'd all still be there.

They've opened a Canadian Tire already and a Shoppers Drug Mart is under construction. It's another commercial power centre, or rather a large area of commercial developments, that more-or-less will extend along Erbsville/Ira Needles from just north of Erb Street to University Avenue (where the Costco will be).

Here's what I, personally, would've like to have seen, I submitted these route ideas to GRT staff earlier...

Please note, I didn't show Route 14 (me lazy) or any of the other Kitchener routes, but they'd all still be there.

I like this plan. There are many short routes. It could be annoying to have to transfer in places where it didn't used to be necessary, but on the other hand, most places are likely reachable by transferring only once.

I like this plan. There are many short routes. It could be annoying to have to transfer in places where it didn't used to be necessary, but on the other hand, most places are likely reachable by transferring only once.

Ironically "my" map includes a lot of options that GRT itself showed in their handouts from the previous public meetings, so I don't understand why they watered down their own proposals so much, to me it doesn't make much sense...they wouldn't have made those proposals in the first place if the number of buses projected to run the proposed changes weren't there.

I should also mention that with the routes travelling through the U of W there's lots of interlining options for buses, that would limit transferring further.

Got this in my e-mail today (quoted below). Route 11 runs by my house and is the route I use to get to where I park my school bus overnight, guess I'll be walking as I can't take the chance I'll be late. :(

TEMPORARY SERVICE DISRUPTIONS

ROUTE 7, 11 and 12

a.m. and p.m. rush hour service

GRT has increased the bus maintenance service program which has caused a

backlog of maintenance work resulting in a temporary shortage of buses

available for service.

You may experience longer wait times and crowded conditions on buses

serving route 7, 11 and 12 during morning and afternoon rush hours for the

next four to six weeks.

We appreciate your cooperation and patience during this time as we work to

resolve this issue.

Grand River Transit

250 Strasburg Rd.

Kitchener ON N2E 3M6

519-585-7555

www.grt.ca

Got this in my e-mail today (quoted below). Route 11 runs by my house and is the route I use to get to where I park my school bus overnight, guess I'll be walking as I can't take the chance I'll be late. :(

Guess we'll be seeing more high floors where they aren't supposed to be running.

BTW, has anyone noticed the 2600s ride much stiffer than the 2400s, even compared to when the 2400s were new?

Guess we'll be seeing more high floors where they aren't supposed to be running.

BTW, has anyone noticed the 2600s ride much stiffer than the 2400s, even compared to when the 2400s were new?

I can't see how you can make that comparison. The 2400s are almost 3 years old. I have a hard time believeing anyone can remember exactly how the 2400s were when they were new.

I can't see how you can make that comparison. The 2400s are almost 3 years old. I have a hard time believeing anyone can remember exactly how the 2400s were when they were new.

I'm not sure about that comparison either. BT Invero might have a good memory, and actually remember how the 2400's rode when they were brand new.

In other news, there have been a few articles in The Record regarding the bus delays... ect. ect. Here's one of them:

Transit users face six weeks of delays

Bus shortage will continue until necessary repairs are complete

JEFF OUTHIT

DAVID BEBEE, RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO REGION (May 12, 2007)

Stranded Grand River Transit passengers will have to tough out a bus shortage that's left some of them fuming at the curb.

Regional government has no plans to abandon a beefed-up maintenance program or hire more mechanics to speed repairs to buses taken off the streets.

"I think we've got enough staffing," Regional Chair Ken Seiling said.

He's convinced enough buses will return to service soon, after a maintenance review. "I apologize. I think it's unfortunate," Seiling said.

"I think at the end of the day we're going to have a much more reliable bus service as a result.

Since April, some passengers have been stranded by buses that don't arrive. Buses that show up late are sometimes overcrowded.

"For the time being, we're going through a bus shortage problem," said Peter Zinck, assistant transit director.

"Worst case, six weeks. We expect it to be shorter than that."

Disruptions began after the provincial Ministry of Transportation laid three safety-related charges in a surprise inspection last March.

The transit service responded by boosting maintenance, creating a backlog of repairs and inspections.

Disruptions are worst in afternoon peak periods, Zinck said.

Rick Lonergan, of the Canadian Auto Workers union, is asking irked passengers to stop venting at bus drivers.

"Naturally, the passengers are venting their frustration onto the driver, and they're already stressed enough," he said.

"It's out of the drivers' control. They're just doing the best they can."

Lonergan, whose union represents drivers and mechanics, figures the transit service has enough spare buses.

"They don't have enough mechanics," he said.

Zinck said the service has enough buses and mechanics.

Mechanics are working overtime to clear the backlog, he said, and supervisors are juggling bus trips to minimize disruptions for passengers.

Missing service accounts for less than one per cent of daily operating hours, Zinck said.

Lonergan said the service was recently short 14 buses on one day and 17 buses on another.

Grand River Transit intends to hike its fares in July, the third increase in four years.

I had 2606, 2608, 2613, and 2426 in the past wee, and 2426 rode MUCH better than the other 3.

I had 2606, 2608, 2613, and 2426 in the past wee, and 2426 rode MUCH better than the other 3.

How does that have anything to do with the 26XX buses being stiffer than the 24XXs when they were new?

Of course today's 24XX are goign to give you a smoother ride, its been broken in.

It's Because GRT has crappy transmission on the 2600s

I tottally agree with BT Invero, the 2400s gave a smoother ride when they were new !

Its not the transmission, its the suspension system that's the big problem on the 2600s.

We should've gotten D40LF®s - when the HSR 07xx buses still had a new bus smell, they rode a lot better than the 26xx GRT buses do right now.