Transit 20

Grand River Transit

16 hours ago, GregB said:

I am wondering if they have any information/testing days coming up or if they wait until they have enough qualified applicants to get a group together? 

Well, they train new drivers almost every month.

If I had to guess based on the respective sizes of the classes and info sessions, I'd guess that info session days are likely no more than 2 months apart, gut feeling is monthly. Having said that, it seems reasonable to guess that they jump people who already have bus licenses to the front of the queue, so the amount of time it takes to get into one of those classes probably varies a lot depending on your prior experience.

11 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Are there new Xcelsiors? I saw 21730 recently...

Swarms of them. I think it was 58 for regular service, and 8 branded for Ion to cover the bottom half of the 200 when the LRT starts? (Those ones look great. And have USB chargers at every seat.)

Half of them aren't even on the road yet, a bunch still have the new vehicle protective saran wrap on them, no decals or numbers. There are a number of serious bugs in this run, going back and forth to NF, so it's a slow trickle.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so I was invited to a video test this past Friday. They had two supervisors in to answer questions that the group may have had and also talked about the position itself. A couple things concerned me. 

First, that there are no guaranteed shifts, so I could go a week without getting a call, or a couple days without a call. The one supervisor said he went 7 weeks without getting called in. That worried me as my wife is coming off from maternity leave and we are going to try to keep her home with our son. So we will be losing her EI, and the whole reason of me looking for a new job was to find something with more pay to support us. 

Second, I don't think I heard anything  about part time operators and benefits? If anyone could confirm whether they receive benefits, that would be helpful. 

The one supervisor (who went 7 weeks at one point without a call in) said to us to take the jump, it's worth it in the long run. I would agree with that, especially since seniority for part timers increases the more hours you work leading to me working my way up for faster? promotions.  But whenever he would encourage us to take that jump, all I could see was me jumping in and breaking my ankles (figuratively lol).

What are your thoughts? How did you guys fair while part time. Would you recommend it? Or would it be worth waiting a bit to see where my family and I are in a few months? 

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated while I mull this over. My wife has a gut feeling that it is not the right time. Part of me agrees but part of me feels getting in early would help, especially since it's seniority based. 

If you're at the testing stage, they likely wouldn't start you for several months yet anyways.

PT hours depend on two things: what seniority number you draw in your class, and what month you start. I think most people start getting shifts almost at once, but school-year based reductions in service for the Spring and Summer work periods + building up extra part timers to prepare for September expansion = fewer hours if you start in summer compared to starting the rest of the year. And honestly, that might not even be the case this year since the route 205 starts in April, with a bunch of new FT positions to shorten the queue. Once you *do* start getting shifts, you get your full PT hours pretty much every week. It's just not *guaranteed*. No benefits til you're FT though.

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it. As you mentioned with the 205 route starting, plus all the changes going on with LRT starting soon (lol) I figure that there will/should be enough work for the part timers too! 

Just another quick question. In the Q&A they mention how it goes part time - temp - full time. What is the temp position? They had mentioned it, but I had question start flooding my mind and concerns. Sorry to keep asking, but this is the only place I've been able to find with knowledgeable ones. 

Temp = Temporarily full time. Say a FT driver goes for surgery for a couple months. Rather than fill it day-to-day with different people, someone takes their work as a temp, then reverts back to PT if/when that driver comes back, or keeps doing it until the end of that service period.

As some one on the inside, we are in dire need of P/T Operators. We usually run out of availability near the end of the week. I don't think that I have heard of some one not getting full or part of thier hours in every week. Also GRT pays their P/T Operators fopr 32 hour what it would take other jobs 40+ hrs a week to earn. 

Just an added thought.

Wait... am I seeing this correctly? GRT wanted to discontinue service to the Green Valley/Mill Park area and force customers to walk upwards of fifteen minutes just to save two minutes of travel time?

lolwat

13 hours ago, 2281 said:

Wait... am I seeing this correctly? GRT wanted to discontinue service to the Green Valley/Mill Park area and force customers to walk upwards of fifteen minutes just to save two minutes of travel time?

lolwat

I fully agree that they needed to keep service to that area, but I understand the logic. Almost everyone hops off at the corner of Pioneer and Green Valley; a 200-ish meter / 3 minute walk from the closest proposed stop. A tiny number - maybe 50 people all day - are going to Pinnacle or Doon Valley; 400-600m / 6-8 mins this time. Everything in between is honestly unused - heck, Mill Park doesn't even have any stops on it. I would have been genuinely surprised had they clipped that off but I can see why it would look good on paper. Woulda actually saved 6-10 mins per round trip.

If anything, I think they ought to have taken the opportunity to start serving the Museum area. I like that they're running the A branch for the current Bechtel-Pioneer area, then switching to Old Carriage and quick scoot down H-W as planned, that's good. But I would have investigated running the B branch as: Manitou, left on H-W, left on Huron (in front of the Museum), becomes Mill Park, right on Green Valley, then do the remainder of the Mill area. Still close enough to Pioneer Park plaza. Still goes to the college. Shorter travel time to Green Valley's highrises and townhouse complexes, especially to the north end which is only accessible by walking right now. New service to a place of public interest. Seems reasonable enough to me, especially if it's south as one branch, north as the other.

No one asked me, mind you. :P

On 8/13/2018 at 11:29 PM, 2281 said:

lolwat

They are not discontinuing service to the area at all. They are adding 15 minute service and alternating a bit of an express service between Pioneer and Doon