Grand River Transit

Transit 20

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Jan Boic said:

GRT maintenance staff were visiting Oakville Transit today to take a thorough look at our Grande West Vicinity Buses, for potential future consideration to purchase. Not sure what the outcome was.

I'm surprised they're considering small buses. I can't think of any routes except for maybe the 27 and the busPLUS routes that may benefit from them. Even Low-Frequency/Low-Ridership routes like the 31, 5, and 6 get super busy (at least standing room only, crush loading on a few select 31 and 5 buses) during the peak periods. 

i live on the 6 and yep the 6 gets crazy busy around am peak pm peak they need 40 foot buses and  remmber the 6-21 interline through the week and on Saturdays interlines with the 10-28 on sundays i can see GRT putting Grande West Vicinity Buses, on the busyer bus plus routes if they decide to buy them i know GRT has a 5 year contract with nova.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So switching some buses to 9 metre electric buses like that. Wouldnt they have to put out a new tender to do that? And who on the market sells 9 metre electric buses? BYDs K7M?

30 minutes ago, Transit 20 said:

they have a 5 year contract with nova i know nova builds all electric buses 

If there was a 30' electric bus order though, it would be a BYD K7M. NovaBus doesn't make small buses.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 4:08 PM, Transit 20 said:

there been talk about this for awhile GRT wants to take over the bus plus routes totally currently its Voyago runs the bus plus routes.

When is the Voyago contract up? I suspect that, if there's any chance of the BusPlus routes moving in house, that they'll wait for the current contract to lapse.

As per ION Update at the Committee of the Whole meeting on June 16, an additional ION Vehicle is being assembled by Bombardier to be used as a spare while Bombardier conducts warrantied weld repairs on 11 of the 14 ION trains. Vehicle to be delivered late 2020 - early 2021. Weld repairs to be conducted in-house at the ION OMSF

Source

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, jmenard-cc said:

As per ION Update at the Committee of the Whole meeting on June 16, an additional ION Vehicle is being assembled by Bombardier to be used as a spare while Bombardier conducts warrantied weld repairs on 11 of the 14 ION trains. Vehicle to be delivered late 2020 - early 2021. Weld repairs to be conducted in-house at the ION OMSF

Source

I wonder if it'll be in iON colours or if it would be in generic grey as a leased spare.