Grand River Transit

Transit 20

What the heck is transit enforcement?

If they are there to ticket vehicles who park at bus stops, or those who ignore the 'yield to bus' law, then I'm all for it.

OK never having driven a bus, I only offered a personal idea as for why Cambridge is only assigned Novas. It does feature routes with tighter turns than the KW routes, that's a fact no one disagrees with. I actually drove in that area of Cambridge where the 54 runs the other day, and purposely drove around South & Central St. It is better than I remember, and I admit an Xcelsior will make it through the 'S' curve no problem. But with a different wheel base I'm sure it will be a bigger pain than the drivers are used to.

BTW - GRT drivers are professionals, and probably better than a lot of other municipalities. Waterloo Region is as big on customer service as it is on safety. So insulting them over my musings as to why Cambridge is Nova-only is pretty classless IMHO.

I do have a friend who drives in Cambridge, I'll ask them is they know the real reason for Nova-only there. I get the feeling it is only a garage standardization thing. That and the drivers there love them and don't want anything else - though that's not really a reason for it.

Cambridge gets all Novas to make it easier for Fleet to repair them. There is more room for parts from different kinds of buses in the new Chandler garage than there is in the Conestoga garage.

So Cambridge gets the same make of bus to make it easier for them to store more high use parts than if there were many different kinds of buses.

It really is that simple.

Never thought of that. Increasing the 10's frequency has to start to conflict with the 110 college express, both use the same bay. Oh ya, all the college express routes (110, 111, 116) will see improvements this fall too. Fairview really. really needs a new terminal.

D4500...

Thanks, that really is simple. Nice to know the real reason. My Cambridge friend just tells me its because the drivers want it Novas-only, which is probably true, but you know that's BS for why GRT has it that way.

Never thought of that. Increasing the 10's frequency has to start to conflict with the 110 college express, both use the same bay. Oh ya, all the college express routes (110, 111, 116) will see improvements this fall too. Fairview really. really needs a new terminal.

D4500...

Thanks, that really is simple. Nice to know the real reason. My Cambridge friend just tells me its because the drivers want it Novas-only, which is probably true, but you know that's BS for why GRT has it that way.

I agree that Fairview is in desperate need of a new terminal. With the amount of new service going to Fairview, it will need at least an extra bay, if GRT has the 10/110.

Forest Glen will need at least 3 new bays (16/116, FCS BusPlus and the 33) to reduce the number of double parking, same with Fairview Park.

We will have to wait and see what happens in the spring/summer/fall time when the new service is introduced.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the planned 205 Ixpress taking over a lot of the current route 3, maybe the remaining residential part on Williamsburg/Laurentian can be tied in with a new route working out of Block Line or Fairview. Preferably going past St Mary's High School, wouldn't that be nice for the students there to finally have bus service?

The 11 or 22 working out of Fairview would be weird, unless they drop the need to go downtown.

Apparently the 201 will be extended to Fairview & also service the Block Line ION station. The 203 will also go to Fairview Park from Conestoga College (and replace the 110). That all depends on it getting a better terminal of course, which better happen with the ION trains dropping off hordes of people there.

The 16 working out of Fairview? That already exists, it's the route 10.

The 3 and 11 could be extended from Forest Glen to Block Line with the other end rerouted to either Mill or Borden. The 2 would then be rerouted to travel the length of Stirling to Charles in order to compensate for the loss of the 3, 11 and 22, and could either go to Borden or an LRT stop Downtown. I mention the 22 as I would like to see it extended from Forest Glen to Block Line, along with the 201. I suppose the 16 and 33 could be extended up Strasburg to the Garage, though with no service to the Country Hills area (as the 11 would be rerouted to Block Line), they will probably just turn around via Old Country and Country Hill like the olden days.

E: I made a few quick maps with Google to better illustrate:

The 3 and 11 could be extended from Forest Glen to Block Line with the other end rerouted to either Mill or Borden. The 2 would then be rerouted to travel the length of Stirling to Charles in order to compensate for the loss of the 3, 11 and 22, and could either go to Borden or an LRT stop Downtown. I mention the 22 as I would like to see it extended from Forest Glen to Block Line, along with the 201. I suppose the 16 and 33 could be extended up Strasburg to the Garage, though with no service to the Country Hills area (as the 11 would be rerouted to Block Line), they will probably just turn around via Old Country and Country Hill like the olden days.

E: I made a few quick maps with Google to better illustrate:

I like the maps 2281. What would the 33 and 16 look like?

Info about the new proposed Waterloo GRT facilities

The PCC will be held February 24, 2016 - 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. in Room 202, at the RIM Park Manulife Sportsplex, 2001 University Avenue East, Waterloo.

I have a picture of the preliminary preferred design, but I can't seem to upload it at this point.

You can view the preliminary design here.

On a completely different note, I can't help but notice how bloody awful our system map is nowadays. It's beyond sloppy. I can appreciate a certain level of detail, but is it really necessary to include every single street, alleyway, bicycle path, etc in what is supposed to be a transit route map? Does anyone really care? GRT should consider hiring some third-party professionals to completely redo it and take note from the TTC.

Oh, and was it really necessary to completely omit the 'Downtown Inset' at a time when we're moving away from a timed-transfer, hub + spoke system and had a major route completely bypassing the Charles St. Terminal? derp.

2281, your 100% right about the system maps. GRT should take a lesson from TTC and have a 3rd party look at creating a better map for the transit users to see and understand where they are going. As for the downtown portion of the map, it should indicate where Charles St. is and where the future hubs are going to be.

I assumed they dropped the downtown insert because the bus routes there are changing weekly due to the ION construction chaos. What's the point of detailing the routes when they're all on ever-changing detours for the next two years?

BTW - cool maps 2281

• 3 weeks later...

We finally have word on future transit terminals throughout the region. The new Cambridge Centre terminal is slated to be completed this November. The new University of Waterloo terminal will take form of a 'transit road' between Phillip St. and Ring Road East behind RIM, and the new Fairview Park terminal would be of similar form on the current Burger King property. Both are anticipated to be completed in 2017 in time for LRT.

Oh, and their solution to overcrowding at Fairview Park? Build another 8-bay terminal (with an option to add 4-5 bays elsewhere). What a mess.

:rolleyes:

Sauce

2281, I agree with you on the Fairview Park terminal. With the number of routes that are proposed to be going there, the terminal should be designed to something similar to the UW Transit Plaza (similar in design) not this 8 bay stuff anymore. Fairview should have at least 13-15 bays. With routes 1, 7, 8, 10, 12, 23, 27, ION BRT, 201 and 203 iXpress routes stopping at Fairview, 8 bays will not be enough.