Grand River Transit

Transit 20

• 2 weeks later...

The contract with New Flyer has not been cancelled, it has been confirmed by a GRT safety committee member. Therefore we still have another 3 years with New Flyer!

That's good.

I mean anything beats the "SMART" Bus with the tripping hazards sticking out of the rear wheel wells and the ad racks that no one has ads for.

Indeed, they would come from Europe. I think it would be a bit too pricey, but YRT did something similar with Van Hool for their Viva system and GO Transit with Alexander Dennis for their double-decker buses.

Here's a video of Mercedes-Benz Citaro:

Any images of how the Ainslie St terminal will look like after the construction to support the Ion/iXpress buses?

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/multimedialibrary/resources/AinslieTerminal.pdf

Highly doubt it. Even if they are cheaper to make, getting them here would be expensive. From what I remember, GRT just picks the manufacturer that can make the buses the cheapest according to some specs.

The Region of Waterloo does not do lowest-bidder selection, though in 2007, price was 50% of the score. The report for 2012 did not have the breakdown.

Considering the Citaro doesn't fit the 50% required Canadian content...I would take that internal chatter with a grain of salt.

Maybe they were talking about Mercedes Benz Sprinters for Mobility Plus services? Cause remember, YRT doesn't order from Van Hool anymore due to Canadian content requirements + $$$ (all the latest Viva orders have gone to Nova Bus), and GO kinda has its own special boundaries when it comes to bus orderings (as far as I know).

For the record, YRT (well, its contractors) have been using more Sprinters for Mobility Plus services lately, mainly for runs that don't require larger vehicles like cutaways.

Anyone know that route 12 will be interlining with at Fairview (as route 27 won't have Midday service as of tomorrow)?

I guess logically it could only interline with the notorious 10/16 combo so I might as well throw out my schedule now.

Thanks Planning!

genius-photo.png

lol

This is not true at all...

Citing Regional policy here (p.38): "Request for Proposals (RFP) are a formal document that seeks best value through competition. The RFP specifies in general terms what the Region wants but provides flexibility for respondents to propose a solution. RFPs include an evaluation criteria and scoring matrix. While price is part of the evaluation criteria and scoring, award is made to the vendor with the highest overall score."

As far as I know the 2002 New Flyers were chosen on lowest bid, as were the 2003 Orions, 2004-2012 Novas, and 2013 New Flyers. I may very well be wrong but I think this was stated in regional documents that are posted online.

New Flyer was the lowest bid and the highest scorer - price is a big chunk of the score but not the only part. (Generally, but not always, the highest score is achieved by the lowest bidder.) For buses it seems price is a much bigger component of the evaluation than for other RFP's.

• 4 weeks later...