Grand River Transit

Transit 20

Interesting to note is that they only say New Flyer "received the highest overall score". These tenders are split into quality score and price score. In my experience from reading council reports they always say when a bid won both categories, this time they didn't say that. Given the Novas were more expensive I'd say odds are high Nova won on quality, but they weren't "better enough" to justify the added cost. Hopefully this doesn't lead to issues for GRT down the road.

Interesting to note is that they only say New Flyer "received the highest overall score". These tenders are split into quality score and price score. In my experience from reading council reports they always say when a bid won both categories, this time they didn't say that. Given the Novas were more expensive I'd say odds are high Nova won on quality, but they weren't "better enough" to justify the added cost. Hopefully this doesn't lead to issues for GRT down the road.

Makes sense to me. Would love to read those docs about quality and price. . .

With Oktoberfest upon us it would be nice (read as "great PR") if GRT put the "Gemütlichkeit" PR message back up.

Also, with this being the 50th Anniversary of the Kitchener Rangers, the "Go Rangers Go" would also be a nice touch.

But, then again, this is GRT, that really don't care about PR, or customer service ........... just the bottom line.

With Oktoberfest upon us it would be nice (read as "great PR") if GRT put the "Gemütlichkeit" PR message back up.

Also, with this being the 50th Anniversary of the Kitchener Rangers, the "Go Rangers Go" would also be a nice touch.

But, then again, this is GRT, that really don't care about PR, or customer service ........... just the bottom line.

I don't agree that it's good PR - it's obscuring the information that passengers need. Prospective riders need that information as well to get a sense of the service pattern.

I don't agree that it's good PR - it's obscuring the information that passengers need. Prospective riders need that information as well to get a sense of the service pattern.

If that comment wasn't coming from you, I'd honestly say, "You're joking!"

"Obscuring the information" ..................come on. Do University students actually even read the destination sign? I don't think so!

"Obscuring the information" ..................come on. Do University students actually even read the destination sign? I don't think so!

Your disdain for the people who do or would use the transit system here doesn't fit well with your choice of job.

Honestly, the beef some drivers have here against university students needs to stop. I understand there are some students who don't read signs before they board (e.g: Those who board the 29 Fischer-Hallman short turns at 1:30/2:00, thinking they go to Erbsville), but they represent a minority. Most of us actually do read signs and board the correct bus. If we don't, how can people understand the difference between the 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 29, 31, 200, and 201 in the university area? Oh right, because they read the signs.

As a university student, I take umbrage to the fact I'm labelled something I don't/didn't do just because a small minority do it.

PS: If it was a university student, why would the person even worry about free service or not? Our u-pass was unlimited rides anyway. So maybe the person wasn't a university student...hmmmmmm?

Honestly, the beef some drivers have here against university students needs to stop. I understand there are some students who don't read signs before they board (e.g: Those who board the 29 Fischer-Hallman short turns at 1:30/2:00, thinking they go to Erbsville), but they represent a minority. Most of us actually do read signs and board the correct bus. If we don't, how can people understand the difference between the 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 29, 31, 200, and 201 in the university area? Oh right, because they read the signs.

As a university student as well, I agree with you, but will admit that the minority isn't as small as it should be. A couple of hours ago, I heard three people ask (separately) if the "200 iXpress/Conestoga Mall" went to Conestoga Mall. But just like vivablue5215, I endeavour to always board the correct bus and keep the number of stupid questions to a minimum.

It's called "homework" People should do it. If I was to move to a new city and was going to rely on public transit I would sure as hell learn my way around before I head to use the system. don't get me wrong I don't subscribe to the "dumb student" theory, I just think in general that people need to rely on themselves a little more.

I heard a driver get on the radio the other day and ask where the closest laundromat was in relation to Victoria and Paulander! So not only did this person collect all his dirty laundry in his receptivical of choice and stand out at a bus stop on a Sunday Morning but the driver actually got on the radio to humour this drivel! So there are driver out there working for GRT who are just as stupid as the rest of them.

It's called "homework" People should do it. If I was to move to a new city and was going to rely on public transit I would sure as hell learn my way around before I head to use the system. don't get me wrong I don't subscribe to the "dumb student" theory, I just think in general that people need to rely on themselves a little more.

Transit systems, especially low-frequency winding ones like ours, are difficult to learn for most people. It's ridiculous to expect people to "learn their way around" the transit system without ever getting on a bus.

then get on a bus and ride around before you have to be some where. don't get on that morning and expect everything to be alright when you have no idea what your doing.

I understand that a "winding" system might be difficult to learn, but I'm pretty sure that is why there are maps and schedules.

The regional map says Waterloo Town Square, the schedule says King at Willis, and the bus says Uptown Waterloo. Are these the same locations? Who would know unless they have taken the bus there a number of times and/or live in the area? The drivers cannot complain when someone asks this, as their co-worker map makers, schedule makers, and destination sign setters are the ones confused as much or more than the people visiting Waterloo Region for the first time.

Not to mention for someone who hasn't arrived in Waterloo Region yet, the map takes a long while to load, especially if you don't have a fast computer...