Grand River Transit

Transit 20

hey everybody back from the fare meeting and i have some sad news about the high floors.

all high floors will be retired this summer when the 18 new buses come in this is coming from region.

Well if all the new buses were delivered on time they would have been retired last summer. They got an extra year anyways.

Way to hold a grudge - this morning an iXpress driver at Fairview Park hopped off the bus and tore down the CTC Community Building Strategy posters hanging in the iXpress shelter. :rolleyes:

At times the Supervisors do ask drivers to take down this signage. Maybe that is what happened in this case.

Is it not a bad idea to train new drivers during busy runs especially morning commuters? A bunch of people nearly missed their transfers this morning at Forest Glen when a 22 trainee was running almost 5 minutes behind schedule. I get the need to train people but not at the risk of people being late for work. Maybe evening routes or mid-day where it's less likely that a missed transfer could cost someone a reprimand at work?

Luckily all the buses stuck around after the trainer radiod them but the 12 left 2 minutes late and some days that can mean the 12 missing connections at Fairview.

The BEST way to train new operators is on the BUSIEST routes. They can cut it or they can't and you can only find that out in the real world. Maybe the odd connection is missed, maybe not, but having someone out there that was not properly trained under the least favourable circumstances will result in MORE missed connections and perhaps even accidents. There is a balance there somewhere and it is not always easy to hit.

Is it not a bad idea to train new drivers during busy runs especially morning commuters? A bunch of people nearly missed their transfers this morning at Forest Glen when a 22 trainee was running almost 5 minutes behind schedule. I get the need to train people but not at the risk of people being late for work. Maybe evening routes or mid-day where it's less likely that a missed transfer could cost someone a reprimand at work?

Luckily all the buses stuck around after the trainer radiod them but the 12 left 2 minutes late and some days that can mean the 12 missing connections at Fairview.

As others have already said it's important that training takes place during all conditions. Your concern about missed transfers during peak periods is also misguided. Not everyone works 9-5 and the people you see on the bus at midnight are not all necessarily heading home from the bar. Missing transfers is a fact of transit ridership, and outside of the peak periods when service is poorer, the effects of missing a transfer are actually worse than during the peaks.

Rumor has it that Kitchener is aquiring "ALL" of the 2300 series buses from Cambridge, this weekend! It appears that the drivers in the "South" don't like them at all, so they're shipping them all up north over the weekend.

Should be interesting, come Monday. Let's see how many get "changed off" up here, too! (All those "2300's" should go the same route as the "9600's" did. They're not a very driver friendly bus.)

hey there i heard it was the 2400 that are post to be coming up i hope its the 24XX and not the 23xx

I heard the 23xx are going up unfortunately.. Cambridge wants to standardize their parts so that it's all Nova parts. The 24xx (or should I say some of the 24xx) are going down to Cambridge. :(

Don't be surprised if the Orion VIs go up to Kitchener as well.