Grand River Transit

Transit 20

My friend was involved in a round-a-bout crash (the new one on Block Line @ Homer Watson) and was injured by a GRT bus that failed to stop for her :/

Define "failed to stop"; The Record article reports she was standing on a median, you don't get hit by a bus while you're standing on a median. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how this happened, The Record doesn't explain it worth a hoot.

Define "failed to stop"; The Record article reports she was standing on a median, you don't get hit by a bus while you're standing on a median. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how this happened, The Record doesn't explain it worth a hoot.

If you look on the CTV website the impact was on the drivers inside windshield, and from what the story says it seems she walked out in front of the bus while it was moving, her only defence against it... an extended hand.

Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked. In most roundabouts drivers speed in there only looking out for other vehicles, if even that, without looking at any pedestrians. I am surprised to the stupidity of drivers in this region and ignorance about roundabouts. But what I am more surprised about is that this supposed stupidity may have come from a bus driver.

If you look on the CTV website the impact was on the drivers inside windshield, and from what the story says it seems she walked out in front of the bus while it was moving, her only defence against it... an extended hand.

Was she at a crosswalk or simply sneaking across the road? Just from experience, if a crosswalk was a walk away, would I really walk to it and cross or sneak across the road? Probably not.

I like some of the comments in the article about building a pedestrian bridge at this location, many many people seem to be against this location of the roundabout.

Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked. In most roundabouts drivers speed in there only looking out for other vehicles, if even that, without looking at any pedestrians. I am surprised to the stupidity of drivers in this region and ignorance about roundabouts. But what I am more surprised about is that this supposed stupidity may have come from a bus driver.

Um gee let me think here for a minute... first and foremost you are required to be aware of you own surroundings, you are responable for your own safety, and if you look down the road and see a bus (or any other moving vehicle) you are expected to be smart enough to not step out , whether the moving vehicle is supposed to stop or not, unless your sure it was going to stop.

I understand that pedestrians have "right-of-way" but said pedestrians also have to be aware that the 40 ft wall made of steel and cumbustable fluids barreling down on them at 30-50k can't always "stop on a dime" and not to just stick an arm out and go.

I do believe she was at the crosswalk. what I don't know' is for how long ar if she stopped to check for clearance of traffic. I know the driver and he happens to be a very good and courtious driver.

Um gee let me think here for a minute... first and foremost you are required to be aware of you own surroundings, you are responable for your own safety, and if you look down the road and see a bus (or any other moving vehicle) you are expected to be smart enough to not step out , whether the moving vehicle is supposed to stop or not, unless your sure it was going to stop.

Thanks for blaming the victim. I'm sure drivers everywhere are breathing a sigh of relief that the victim is, of course, to blame for being hit despite having the right of way.

Ultimately, I believe the fault here lies with the fact that at-grade roundabouts of this size and speed do not, by default, draw sufficient attention and priority to pedestrians.

I understand that pedestrians have "right-of-way" but said pedestrians also have to be aware that the 40 ft wall made of steel and cumbustable fluids barreling down on them at 30-50k can't always "stop on a dime" and not to just stick an arm out and go.

I do believe she was at the crosswalk. what I don't know' is for how long ar if she stopped to check for clearance of traffic. I know the driver and he happens to be a very good and courtious driver.

Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked. You may know the driver but I am sure many others know the girl as well. You may claim that the driver is very good and courtious but he hit the girl, the girl did not hit him. Looking at the story, the girl is injured because of the driver and not the other way around. If he was going too fast to stop then, again, his fault. I feel sorry for the driver, because this will be with him/her forever and will most likely cost him/her the job of driving a bus, but still every driver needs to remember: Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked.

Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked. You may know the driver but I am sure many others know the girl as well. You may claim that the driver is very good and courtious but he hit the girl, the girl did not hit him. Looking at the story, the girl is injured because of the driver and not the other way around. If he was going too fast to stop then, again, his fault. I feel sorry for the driver, because this will be with him/her forever and will most likely cost him/her the job of driving a bus, but still every driver needs to remember: Vehicles must stop for people walking in a roundabout. No questions asked.

Yes, but are the yield signs posted at the entrance of a roundabout stop signs? If you see a fast moving vehicle coming at you, the smart thing to do would be to wait.

It is good to hear that she is alright though!

I know in some major cities there are these pedestrian crossing lights inserted at the top, and in order to cross they would have to press the button, and the overhead lights would be flashing (similar to when a train goes by a crossing).

Someone here told me Gatineau uses these particularly for their roundabouts. Perhaps it's something Waterloo Region would consider investing in.

All the planners, cops, and whatever say that roundabouts are great "if everyone follows the rules". Well, let's see ...... Do they stick to the speed limit, stop at stop signs, or LEAVE THEIR FRIGGIN' PHONES ALONE ? NO ! So what makes all the geniuses believe negotiating roundabouts will somehow be different ?? I can just imagine kids running all over the place with total disregard for anything except themselves. They think that if 50 of them cross the road as a mob that traffic will just stop regardless of the signals. Roundabouts are fine in some places (like R&T Park) but some places they are just bad. St.Marys is one and Bennies in Cambridge where another is planned is also a VERY BAD location for a death circle.

"I am a pedestrian and I have the right of way". Well, you can be *right* or you can live.

I know in some major cities there are these pedestrian crossing lights inserted at the top, and in order to cross they would have to press the button, and the overhead lights would be flashing (similar to when a train goes by a crossing).

Someone here told me Gatineau uses these particularly for their roundabouts. Perhaps it's something Waterloo Region would consider investing in.

They exist here as well, but not many.

Thanks for blaming the victim. I'm sure drivers everywhere are breathing a sigh of relief that the victim is, of course, to blame for being hit despite having the right of way.

Ultimately, I believe the fault here lies with the fact that at-grade roundabouts of this size and speed do not, by default, draw sufficient attention and priority to pedestrians.

I was told that she had actually admitted that it was her fault!

I just don't understand why the Region of Waterloo is such a big supporter of these roundabouts, especially at such large intersections. Reading that report it mentioned there were 20 fender benders at this circle alone since it opened in August. Thats a very high number since it hasn't been open for 2 months. Yes it does mention they are safer when people follow the rules, but nobody follows the rules so it's an unfair arguement.

I have a better idea, rip out this waste of money and put a controlled intersection back in before somebody gets killed.

Gatineau does have them, although most don't use them from what I've seen.

A good portion of STO operators dispise the traffic circles because they simply can't make the corner.

I just don't understand why the Region of Waterloo is such a big supporter of these roundabouts, especially at such large intersections. Reading that report it mentioned there were 20 fender benders at this circle alone since it opened in August. Thats a very high number since it hasn't been open for 2 months. Yes it does mention they are safer when people follow the rules, but nobody follows the rules so it's an unfair arguement.

I have a better idea, rip out this waste of money and put a controlled intersection back in before somebody gets killed.

I have one word for you- England

http://www.britishtourplans.com/roundabout.php

http://drej2522.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-drive-a-roundabout

The Region's own experience at (smaller) roundabouts shows that there are more crashes, but that thanks to the traffic patterns there are fewer ones that cause injury -- which are arguably more important to prevent. So there is not necessarily any contradiction there. The caveats are that this experience is with smaller and perhaps slower roundabouts, and in areas that have very few pedestrians.

I really don't understand the point of the new shelters ...

On the corner of Block Line and Laurentian (1st 201 stop from Forest Glen), there is a regular bus shelter, and a 201 iXpress shelter ... like what's the point of that lol, unless they're removing the old shelter ?

I really don't understand the point of the new shelters ...

On the corner of Block Line and Laurentian (1st 201 stop from Forest Glen), there is a regular bus shelter, and a 201 iXpress shelter ... like what's the point of that lol, unless they're removing the old shelter ?

I think so...it'd only make sense.

LMFAO! Wanna bet? There's still an old shelter on Hamel street near Lancaster... leftover from the old route 5!

Is it just me or is that that every time GRT tries to do something they trip over themselves and fall flat on their face? I am still trying to understand the purpose of the many styles of signs: (1) regular street signs, (2) Charles Terminal signs, (3) Ainslie Terminal signs, (4) all other terminal signs, (5) old iXpress signs, and (6) new iXpress signs that now include other route numbers. Does GRT hire a bunch of kids every few years to put these plans together? Silly complaining here about this but you would think after falling enough times they would learn to walk and standardize everything from street signs to schedules, maps, and destination signs.