Grand River Transit

Transit 20

I managed to get a hold of the proposed Fischer-Hallman iXpress map. They're going to operate it from UW, Columbia, Fischer-Hallman, then follow the 22 routing into Forest Glen where it will terminate.

Does this mean it's only selective stops along that route? If so, where?

Does this mean it's only selective stops along that route? If so, where?

Yes, selective stops. In terms of the whereabouts I don't know yet.

I would assume:

- UW Davis Centre

- Westmount

- Columbia

- Keats Way

- Erb

- University

- Victoria

- Highland Hills Mall Terminal

- Ottawa

- Block Line

- Forest Glen Plaza Terminal

There were also several other iXpress routes that are being planned in conjunction with the Light Rail. However I'm not allowed to reveal them at the moment.

In other news I forgot to add, we will be holding a rally at Waterloo Town Square on December 5 between 12 and 1pm, in support of the Waterloo Light Rail project. It will be called "Rally For Rails", and will be organized by Wonderful Waterloo, TriTag, Waterlooians, Arts Portal WR, Grand River Environmental Network, and WSPA, which I am a part of.

So it will be running through Laurentian West / Glencairn neighborhoods too (Activa, Max Becker, Erinbrook) ??

I seem to have made a mistake on that part. Looking closer at the map it's going down F-H, up Westmount, and right on Block Line.

I'm not that familiar with the 22 routing past Forest Glen, so I dunno if it still somehow traces the route.

I did suggest a proposal on either extending the FH iXpress down one more road to the SW Kitchener development near Bleams, then head east on Bleams and north on Strasburg. If not, my other suggestion was to implement either a new route to serve that area, or modify the 22 somehow to cover that area.

In other news I forgot to add, we will be holding a rally at Waterloo Town Square on December 5 between 12 and 1pm, in support of the Waterloo Light Rail project. It will be called "Rally For Rails", and will be organized by Wonderful Waterloo, TriTag, Waterlooians, Arts Portal WR, Grand River Environmental Network, and WSPA, which I am a part of.

You can count me out.

There were also several other iXpress routes that are being planned in conjunction with the Light Rail. However I'm not allowed to reveal them at the moment.

Are you kidding me, were you really told that?? They're already online if you know where to look. I may dig them up and spill the beans if that's the case. :angry:

EDIT: Here ya go...

DRAFT Proposed iXpress style routes pending budget approval over several years (subject to change)...

Fischer-Hallman - UW to Forest Glen via Columbia, Fischer-Hallman, Westmount, Block Line (could be extended to Block Line LRT Station)

University - The Boardwalk to UW to Northfield Industrial Park/RIM Park via Ira Needles, Erb, University, Bridge, Northfield, University

Highland/Victoria North - The Boardwalk to Ottawa/Lackner Area via Ira Needles, Highland, Queen, Courtland, Benton, through Downtown Kitchener (can't see exact routing, map is too small), Victoria, Lackner

Ottawa - Sunrise Centre to Ottawa/Lackner Area via Ottawa; there also appears to be a branch down to Forest Glen (not sure how that will operate though)

Homer Watson/Maple Grove - Fairview Park to Hespeler Village Core Area via Wilson, Wabanaki, Manitou, Homer Watson, through Conestoga College, Homer Watson, Hwy 401, King Street or Hwy 8 through Sportsworld Crossing, Maple Grove to Fischer Mills, Guelph to Hespeler Core

Coronation - Fairview Park to Ainslie Street via King East (Old King) through Sportsworld Crossing and Gateway Park, Shantz Hill, Fountain, King to Coronation, Water to Ainslie

Cambridge Area Stubs - There are also express services showing between the St. Andrews area in Galt to Ainslie Street, the Christopher/Champlain Area to Ainslie Street, Franklin/Pinebish Area to Cambridge Centre and the Saginaw/Shades Mills Area to Cambridge Centre

I managed to get a hold of the proposed Fischer-Hallman iXpress map. They're going to operate it from UW, Columbia, Fischer-Hallman, then follow the 22 routing into Forest Glen where it will terminate.

Not quite. Its only going to overlap with the 22 on Fischer Hallman from Highland Hills to Activa. It won't be travelling through the Laurentian West or Glencairn neighbourhoods. I'm also in WSPA.

Not quite. Its only going to overlap with the 22 on Fischer Hallman from Highland Hills to Activa. It won't be travelling through the Laurentian West or Glencairn neighbourhoods. I'm also in WSPA.

So. Where are they going to find the buses for this? They can barely put buses on regular routes now.

Which committee are you in?

So. Where are they going to find the buses for this? They can barely put buses on regular routes now.

Well, anyone have information on the 2011 orders? And I can also see them taking buses from the 12...

Well, anyone have information on the 2011 orders? And I can also see them taking buses from the 12...

Assuming the RTMP funding increase passes as planned (quite likely) we'll see 30 new buses next year. 18 replacement, 12 expansion. The RTMP specifies 12 expansion buses per year for the first 5 years, and 22 expansion buses per year for the 15 years after that. We were expecting 18 replacement this year but it turned out they over-ordered in 2009 (not an accident, just projections didn't account for a sudden recession). We know that didn't happen for 2010, and the switch to a 12 year replacement cycle is already approved.

Assuming the RTMP funding increase passes as planned (quite likely) we'll see 30 new buses next year. 18 replacement, 12 expansion. The RTMP specifies 12 expansion buses per year for the first 5 years, and 22 expansion buses per year for the 15 years after that. We were expecting 18 replacement this year but it turned out they over-ordered in 2009 (not an accident, just projections didn't account for a sudden recession). We know that didn't happen for 2010, and the switch to a 12 year replacement cycle is already approved.

Latest proposal we were told at our last Scheduling Committee meeting a few weeks ago is for 19 expansion buses for 2011, total of 37 (pending budget approval of course).

Latest proposal we were told at our last Scheduling Committee meeting a few weeks ago is for 19 expansion buses for 2011, total of 37 (pending budget approval of course).

That'd be great news. Given how far behind we are with overcrowding 12 buses really isn't enough, but I didn't think they'd ever approve more than the RTMP requires. 19 expansion buses is serious amount of capacity.

Just curious as to which bus had the engine fire last night, resulting in approx. $300,000 damage, according to the news. ($300,000 in damage sounds like a "write-off" to me!)

I wonder if it's the same one that, earlier in the day, complained about "smoke" coming from the rear, and had it brushed off as a "coolant leak"?

Just curious as to which bus had the engine fire last night, resulting in approx. $300,000 damage, according to the news. ($300,000 in damage sounds like a "write-off" to me!)

I wonder if it's the same one that, earlier in the day, complained about "smoke" coming from the rear, and had it brushed off as a "coolant leak"?

9404 ................ "another one bites the dust"

I heard the damages could be as low as $100,000, still a write off in my opinion, for a 16 year old bus.

"9404", sitting at the back of the Strasburg Rd Garage, kinda hidden from the street (but who blames them for parking it out of site.)

Sitting beside the "iXpress" that looks like it was "side swiped" on the driver's side rear. Another good reason to place a "camera" on the "street side" of the bus, above the drivers window!

I wonder how long it will take for the Insurance Adjusters to decide on a "write off"?