Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

2 hours ago, Brando737 said:

That schedule for the 119 won't be reliable.  It's only 20-25 minute runtime with typically less than 5 minute layovers at each end.  During the week, the 119 and 106 are on their own.  The 119 will have some interlining at metrotown on weekends and holidays.

Apparently the 119 will be moving to Central Blvd on the January sheet and looping around to Imperial and Willingdon before coming back to McKay and on to Edmonds.  I haven't seen anything official, but the paddles seem to reflect this routing with the same 20-25 minute runtime.  I'm sure the official changes will be released soon, only 3 weeks including this week until the December sheet starts.

I have to say, if they are routing the 119 to Imperial and Willingdon before making 2 turns to get back on McKay, I can't quite understand the reasoning. It would make far more sense to have it return to Kingsway via the Bonsor/Nelson route, and have the 144 and 110 service the McKay stops on the way to Kingsway, since they will come into the loop going that direction anyway (ideal would be to give them an on-street WB stop on Central, across the bushes from the loop maybe). I can understand for the 49, 430, 116, and even 130 if they use the Imperial/Willingdon turnaround, since they are serving areas south/west/northwest of the stationhouses anyways. But Imperial and Willingdon is a LONG way out of the way for the 119, especially for people just going to somewhere on McKay or Sussex and Kingsway.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two weeks sure went by fast...

For everyone worrying about whether BTC will be able to handle the 41st Ave B-Line; keep in mind that BTC currently runs the 43, which will be replaced by the B-Line.  Given that the 43 already runs v

I think this character trope applies to you: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnowNothingKnowItAll

Posted Images

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎28 at 5:38 PM, Brando737 said:

That schedule for the 119 won't be reliable.  It's only 20-25 minute runtime with typically less than 5 minute layovers at each end.  During the week, the 119 and 106 are on their own.  The 119 will have some interlining at metrotown on weekends and holidays.

Apparently the 119 will be moving to Central Blvd on the January sheet and looping around to Imperial and Willingdon before coming back to McKay and on to Edmonds.  I haven't seen anything official, but the paddles seem to reflect this routing with the same 20-25 minute runtime.  I'm sure the official changes will be released soon, only 3 weeks including this week until the December sheet starts.

Brando do you see more D40LF's that are currently in storage return back to service?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I have to say, if they are routing the 119 to Imperial and Willingdon before making 2 turns to get back on McKay, I can't quite understand the reasoning. It would make far more sense to have it return to Kingsway via the Bonsor/Nelson route, and have the 144 and 110 service the McKay stops on the way to Kingsway, since they will come into the loop going that direction anyway (ideal would be to give them an on-street WB stop on Central, across the bushes from the loop maybe). I can understand for the 49, 430, 116, and even 130 if they use the Imperial/Willingdon turnaround, since they are serving areas south/west/northwest of the stationhouses anyways. But Imperial and Willingdon is a LONG way out of the way for the 119, especially for people just going to somewhere on McKay or Sussex and Kingsway.

From what I heard a this routing was picked so it could have its bay on Central Blvd, but I agree they should do your idea.  They want to get service back to that part of Willingdon from Metrotown which I agree with, but the 130 would make the most sense for that.  Some road supervisor's submitted the idea to have the 430 serve a stop along there, but I can understand why they may not do that because when all buses switch to Central Blvd the 430 won't go along Willingdon leaving Metrotown.  But the 119 serving those stops won't work well and once the 130 moves over there, I'm sure it will serve those stops and the 119 will get to Kingsway via Bonsor.

48 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Brando do you see more D40LF's that are currently in storage return back to service?

I have no idea to be honest.  But they seem to be popping up slowly.

53 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

From what I heard a this routing was picked so it could have its bay on Central Blvd, but I agree they should do your idea.  They want to get service back to that part of Willingdon from Metrotown which I agree with, but the 130 would make the most sense for that.  Some road supervisor's submitted the idea to have the 430 serve a stop along there, but I can understand why they may not do that because when all buses switch to Central Blvd the 430 won't go along Willingdon leaving Metrotown.  But the 119 serving those stops won't work well and once the 130 moves over there, I'm sure it will serve those stops and the 119 will get to Kingsway via Bonsor.

I have no idea to be honest.  But they seem to be popping up slowly.

The 119 certainly needs to be on Central ASAP given its high passenger volume, so it's very understandable. But yeah, there might be a better way to route it along with the other routes.

While looking at the SWATP draft plan map 1 - 15 year implementation map, I noticed that TransLink seems to be planning to build an exchange at Highway 99 and Highway 17a. I presume all bus routes that go by it will stop there.

Screenshot (35).png

1 minute ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

While looking at the SWATP draft plan map 1 - 15 year implementation map, I noticed that TransLink seems to be planning to build an exchange at Highway 99 and Highway 17a. I presume all bus routes that go by it will stop there.

Screenshot (35).png

I'm pretty sure that that plan (as well as the one for Steveston/Highway 99) is all dependant on the George Massey Tunnel project. Looking at the colour of the routes, those are only tier 3/4 routes (of less priority).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, neopasturquoise said:

Interesting. The paddles for January sheet show the Central/Imperial/Willingdon routing. Here's to hoping this timetable is the correct version. 130 should be the one servicing stops on Imperial and Willingdon south of Central.

4 hours ago, Large Cat said:

Interesting. The paddles for January sheet show the Central/Imperial/Willingdon routing. Here's to hoping this timetable is the correct version. 130 should be the one servicing stops on Imperial and Willingdon south of Central.

If TransLink is particularly concerned about getting service back onto Willingdon between Central and Imperial, why not use one of the existing shuttle rountes to do it? e.g. C6 or C7.

• Like 1

https://m.translink.ca/en/Schedules/Transit Service Changes

More changes in the coming weeks, but as it stands

5/6 frequency increases

106/119 split

We can't go comparing schedules because what they did is copy and paste the september schedules and attached them to the winter schedule URLs. The 119/106 are the only ones dated January 2018.

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2017/Dec/20171214_open_board_meeting_report.pdf

Sorting these notes out into the different threads:

1) CMBC to take over 3 more routes from first transit.
2) They are going ahead with all door boarding on the 95/96 (Should start this service change)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Express691 said:

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/board_minutes_and_reports/2017/Dec/20171214_open_board_meeting_report.pdf

Sorting these notes out into the different threads:

1) CMBC to take over 3 more routes from first transit.

2) They are going ahead with all door boarding on the 95/96 (Should start this service change)

I wonder which routes will be affected... Maybe the C3, C4, and 609? All three routes are rather far from their South Surrey office.

While I like the concept of all-door boarding... I'm somewhat annoyed that they haven't found a way to speed up bus boarding while ensuring people pay their fair share...

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

While I like the concept of all-door boarding... I'm somewhat annoyed that they haven't found a way to speed up bus boarding while ensuring people pay their fair share...

Oubliettes? A security/conductor on every bus?

All door boarding can't come soon enough. It shouldn't be seen as a cost or fare issue. It's a dramatic increase in the quality of service, which will increase ridership, and thereby recover costs if seen as part of the bigger picture. The fare system is officially "proof of payment" on the buses already anyways.

• Like 1

Service changes in January 2018: Anything of significance is bolded.

033 - WB Peak between 5pm and 6pm increases from every 15 minutes to every 12 minutes.
041 - Slashed Trip between 7am and 8am from Joyce
084 - 8:15am and 8:28am trips have disappeared
095 B-line

• Increase AM peak frequency to every 4 minutes between 7am and 9am,
  • PM peak increases to every 6 minutes from every 8-12 minutes,
  • Guaranteed at least every 12 minutes until 10pm Monday-Saturday.
  • 2 trips Saturday AM start at Kootenay Loop going into Downtown
  • Sunday service starts a half hour earlier in both directions
  • Several new trips starting from Hastings at D̶u̶t̶h̶i̶e̶ Gilmore (see here) going up to SFU on weekdays

123 - 6:10pm and 8:55pm only go to Canada Way at Ledger
128 - Increase frequency between 9am and 3pm to every 20 minutes.
230 - trip leaving Lonsdale at 3:45pm is slashed. Additional Saturday trip going southbound leaving Prospect (54272) at 9:56am. 12:18am trip goes to Prospect and goes NIS.
246 - Additional trip leaving Lonsdale at 4:03pm going into Downtown
311 -  additional trip leaving between 7am and 8am
319 - Increase northbound frequency on Saturday mornings from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes, 6am-7am.
320 - First bus from Langley is now at 4:51am on weekdays
323 - Additional trip to Surrey Central on weekdays at 8:26am
337 - PM rush Increase to every 15 minutes between 7pm and 9pm, every 20 minutes between 9pm and 10pm.
351 - Additional trip into bridgeport station in the morning rush
372 - Sunday Service extends until 8:40pm WB and 9:10pm EB
401 - Several Saturday trips now end at Chatham at 2nd Avenue instead of 3rd Avenue
402 - 10:12pm trip weekdays Southbound short turned to Moncton at 1st. Saturday SB trips between 9am and 6:30 short-turned to Moncton at 1st
404 - 2:54pm Weekday NB trip from Steveston at No.5 is slashed
407 - Several Saturday trips now end at Chatham at 3rd Avenue instead of 2nd Avenue (minor change)
501 - Trip leaving 2:18pm from Surrey Central is slashed
601 - First Trip towards Boundary Bay in the PM rush leaves earlier (Right after the trip that turns into 606 Ladner Ring).
555 Service cut early AM to increase frequency late AM 

701 - Mystery trips arriving at Coquitlam Station at 2:51pm and 3:23pm (If someone can help us out please and thank you)
C62 - 1 trip in both directions between 12pm and 1pm is
slashed
N35 - Additional Sunday service until 5am both directions
Maple Meadows Station - Service has been re-routed inside the loop since November this year (Reflected in all January schedules).

I found no changes on 002, 022, 025, 028, 043, 044, 049, 096, 100, 101, 104, 110, 112, 125, 128, 129, 130, 134, 136, 143, 144, 145, 151, 152, 153, 155, 156, 157, 159, 160, 169, 188, 189, 191, 209, 210, 211, 212, 228, 229, 232, 236, 239, 240, 301, 312, 314, 316, 321, 324, 325, 326, 335, 329, 340, 341, 342, 345, 352, 354, 364, 375, 388, 391, 393, 394, 395, 403, 405, 410, 430, 502, 503, 509, 531, 595, 602, 603, 604, 606, 608, 620, 640, 791, N9, N19

However I'm expecting 095/096 All Door Boarding to be implemented in January. No news yet, but it's been mentioned in the board meeting reports.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2017 at 2:23 PM, Express691 said:

https://m.translink.ca/en/Schedules/Transit Service Changes

More changes in the coming weeks, but as it stands

5/6 frequency increases

106/119 split

We can't go comparing schedules because what they did is copy and paste the september schedules and attached them to the winter schedule URLs. The 119/106 are the only ones dated January 2018.

I'm curious if the added frequency actually accomplishes anything. The 6 Downtown is unreliable as hell in the mornings even at current frequency, since the only layover is at Cambie at Dunsmuir. From the time it starts there as a 5 Robson and switches to 6 Downtown, they're already bunched up where you'll miss 3 all behind each other and then on a bad morning 12-19 minutes until the next batch shows up.

edit: the 6 runs at 9km/h on average, so increasing the frequency to 5m means a bus every 3-4 blocks. In a perfect world that would mean one bus at every traffic light, but I'm expecting to see 6 buses drive by in a group every 10 minutes after the change. :P

• Like 2

Effective December 18th:

601 - weekday southbound trip from Bridgeport to Pebble Hill at 4:43 PM is cancelled. Saturday and Sunday northbound trip at 9:53 PM and Sunday northbound trip at 9:23 PM is converted back to a Steveston Highway trip.

5 minutes ago, Express691 said:

ah, I think it's cause those ones don't terminate at the usual bay, they go to different bays at Brentwood cause they switch to the 134/136. The 6:10pm goes to the 136, and the 8:55pm goes to the 134. Seems weird that they'd change the paper schedule, as the trip planner shows no changes.

1 minute ago, Stormscape said:

ah, I think it's cause those ones don't terminate at the usual bay, they go to different bays at Brentwood cause they switch to the 134/136. The 6:10pm goes to the 136, and the 8:55pm goes to the 134. Seems weird that they'd change the paper schedule, as the trip planner shows no changes.

Yeah, I know the 6:10 does that because that was my friend's work in the summer. It was like a tour de burnaby. Pick up at Metrotown, 106 New West, 123, 136, 101 for 2.5 rounds, 410, NIS. 

With that aside, this print schedule does not list which bay to terminate at, but I guess we should see what's going on.

14 hours ago, Express691 said:

Service changes in January 2018: Anything of significance is bolded.

555 - additional AM Peak service in both directions 

Actually the 555 is a service cut... Early morning service will be reduced to improve late morning peak service, but the total number of trips before noon remains constant.  PM peak service was slightly reduced result in a net loss of 4 trips.

I remember there are a few other small changes but I didn't write them down this time :unsure:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Effective December 18th:

601 - weekday southbound trip from Bridgeport to Pebble Hill at 4:43 PM is cancelled. Saturday and Sunday northbound trip at 9:53 PM and Sunday northbound trip at 9:23 PM is converted back to a Steveston Highway trip.

The weekend trips were never converted according to http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/139/tt601.pdf. Also, that trip to Pebble Hill is still there, rather the Boundary Bay trip now leaves around 24 minutes earlier (after the 606 short turn trip.)