cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

On 2017-03-22 at 9:08 PM, rickie22 said:

I got a similar response as well when I tweeted the picture of the stop to TransLink.

IIRC, when I first read about the proposal, the short-turn is to provide the most frequent service between Knight/Kingsway and Macdonald/16th. They've already been doing that with the 2 Macdonald (alternating between 16th and Dunbar Loop), so it would make sense to do that for the 22 as well.

I think they're opening a new can of worms anyway with King Edward short turns.  Why not do it this way:  Have the "22" run from Knight and Marine to MacDonald and 16th, all trips.  Then have the "2" operate from Dunbar Loop to VCC-Clark Station.  One of them can go via Terminal in rush hour, no need for both.  Then you would shorten the old 22 route since it was way too long anyway, and duplicate service more where it's needed (along Cornwall, Downtown, and along the Prior/Venables corridor.  In the future if they wanted to do any depot reassignments, the 22 portion could run out of RTC with industrial "trips" starting in the existing 22 Industrial area on Jacombs at Cambie.  Then run the 2 out of VTC.  You have 2 depots that are packed full (VTC and BTC), a depot that is almost empty (RTC), and a depot with the capacity for another 150 or so buses (HTC) with decently filled STC and PCTC.  Start the shuffling and end up with the depots running more efficiently instead of completely at capacity.

On 2017-03-25 at 10:32 PM, Dr. BusFreak said:

I'm not, because I'll most likely be standing on the 601 because those conventional buses have a lot less seats. And, if I manage to get a seat, the seats are a lot less comfy than the orions.  

The Orions are horrible for me.  Sure, the backs and bottoms are soft, but there's no leg room.  The XD40s have much better legroom on the seats that are available.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Opal said:

The Orions are horrible for me.  Sure, the backs and bottoms are soft, but there's no leg room.  The XD40s have much better legroom on the seats that are available.

Seconded. The leg room is so bad that it's literally impossible to sit. I laugh at people who complain about airplane seats, compared to the Orions. I wouldn't mind standing, but the problem is it's not really acceptable to stand when there are seats available, because then you're blocking everyone trying to get out using the single aisle. It's really a terrible configuration.

I can basically only sit in the old folk's area on an Orion, and I don't even have long legs. I have no idea how people can comfortably sit in an Orion for over an hour.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stormscape said:

I can basically only sit in the old folk's area on an Orion, and I don't even have long legs. I have no idea how people can comfortably sit in an Orion for over an hour.

Im 5'4". I sit behind the wheelwell (or the row behind the wheelchairs) and I usually am comfortable. I get a good spot in line just to recline my seat and roll forward the seat in front of me for maximum space.

Once in the last year I have been told to roll forward my seat xD

23 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

The forward facing seats in the rear sections of the '95 D40lfs were pretty tight too, i could never sit in them.

Lets face it - novabus has a got damn awkward back seating arrangement.

Just now, Express691 said:

Lets face it - novabus has a got damn awkward back seating arrangement.

How about we remove all seating and make it standing room only?

4 minutes ago, cleowin said:

How about we remove all seating and make it standing room only?

I was thinking, what if you could fold up the entire disabled section to make it a standing room only section? Then move the disabled section upstairs, no wheelchairs or walkers. 

12 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I was thinking, what if you could fold up the entire disabled section to make it a standing room only section? Then move the disabled section upstairs, no wheelchairs or walkers. 

Thats a good plan. They could try it in a retired unit! LOl

14 hours ago, Stormscape said:

Im 6"2" ive gor zero problems on any seat, orion, ghetto mark1 trains. No problem.  Little dent in the back of the seat. Few creaking noises, Couple bruises on the knees and head. No biggie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a low-entry bus?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iliketrains said:

found this stop added onto a 430 block but this stop is only served by 407. Are they planning to make the 430 stop here too?IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.081ae7a67f0366b1d75d2bf33e1540a9.JPG

YAYYYY! The Walmart shopping centre is finally getting good bus service.

• Like 2

On 2017-03-28 at 0:25 AM, Stormscape said:

Ditto.  I can sit in others, but only if I take up both seats because I can spread my legs out a bit.  I usually just squish in and deal with it -- I only ride them now for 10 minutes max (to/from Steveston and Bridgeport Stn).

On 2017-03-28 at 6:37 AM, Express691 said:

Im 5'4". I sit behind the wheelwell (or the row behind the wheelchairs) and I usually am comfortable. I get a good spot in line just to recline my seat and roll forward the seat in front of me for maximum space.

Once in the last year I have been told to roll forward my seat xD

Probably by me :).  I ask many people if they can unrecline.  Problem is, many of the recliners don't work anymore and get stuck in the back position making already tight seats even tighter.

On 2017-03-28 at 3:12 PM, Marlow1331 said:

Im 6"2" ive gor zero problems on any seat, orion, ghetto mark1 trains. No problem.  Little dent in the back of the seat. Few creaking noises, Couple bruises on the knees and head. No biggie.

Lucky you for having a long torso and short legs (I'm 6'5").  I have long legs and a short torso.  I cannot sit at all in the MK1 trains forward-facing seats, and the Orions as I mentioned are tight but doable uncomfortably.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2017 at 2:58 PM, iliketrains said:

found this stop added onto a 430 block but this stop is only served by 407. Are they planning to make the 430 stop here too?IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.081ae7a67f0366b1d75d2bf33e1540a9.JPG

This is not a 430 stop. Im on it right now right at the complex on 9428. Next stop is KPU.

6 minutes ago, Express691 said:

This is not a 430 stop. Im on it right now right at the complex on 9428. Next stop is KPU.

Odd, it's listed as a stop on tcomm for all buses on the run, but not on Translinks schedules.  Not even the one valid April 24.  It's possible that it will become a stop eventually and is coded into the trips, but not publicly displayed yet.  I'm guessing there is a glitch in the system that it's somehow showing in the data that tcomm gets from Translink.

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

Potentially a NB only stop.

2 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Potentially a NB only stop.

No - I saw the stop on the other side and it only displayed a stop for the 407.

I sent feedback to the Tcomm site. Dennis will eventually find time to come up with a solution.

Long term change on the 502 effective April 10:

Service to board inside the loop at bay 6; current bay at 61035 at the convenience store behind the 96 bay will close for construction of the new station entrance.

C71 and C73 on the other hand will layover at SFU (102nd Avenue) and then will route via Bay 14 (City Parkway NB) to regular route.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/Alerts.aspx 

As far as I know, the bus loop is already "over capacity" especially in the PM rush hour.