Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

Effective June 24:

Granville St from 5th Ave to 16th Ave will receive bus stop balancing with 6 stops being replaced by 4 new stops.

New Stops:

• NB Granville @ 15th

• SB Granville @ 12th

• WB 12th @ Granville

• SB Granville @ 6th

Cancelled Stops:

• NB Granville @ 16th

• NB Granville @ 14th

• SB Granville @ 13th

• SB Granville @ 11th

• SB Granville @ 7th

• SB Granville @ 5th/W Cloverleaf

Maps:

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/south-granville-improvements-map-2024.pdf

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/plans-and-projects/bus-projects/bus-speed-and-reliability/south_granville_bus_priority_improvements.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Transit app still says Surrey central is last stop. But when i go to Scott road or any other stations it says "to King George" despite kg being open.

Software upgrade as discussed in general sightings

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

So they go and redo Lonsdale Quay bus loop, then they pull off whatever this is:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-lonsdale-quay-bus-exchange-demolition-redevelopment

Pulled from the site:

“TransLink will work with the Government of BC on ensuring the exchange is well integrated with the new development, but it’s too early to know what that will look like.”

So they'll keep the exchange, but integrated into whatever they build next... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There was never any doubt that Lonsdale Quay would continue to exist in one form or another. The issue is that they spent $15 million over 18 months renewing it a mere 4 years ago. This is an appalling waste of money given ongoing funding issues. The upcoming fare hike in two weeks’ time is especially aggravating considering this waste.

• Like 3

... What a mess. The news announcement is very flashy, maybe to overlook how they renovated an exchange due to be demolished in 6 or less years. (Also, where do the buses go when there's a hole in the ground after demolition? At least when they were renovating half of the exchange was useable at a time.)

I have biases because I like the entire Lonsdale area, but, I'll stick to the topic and also wonder if they'll remember the North Shore Rapid Transit study (which was in the news the other week)? They shared the proposed station locations, and public feedback (and, tbh, common sense) wants the Lonsdale station to be near the Seabus. Because having to integrate a probably-underground-skytrain station into this building/the exchange after it's built/rebuilt would be a third reconstruction of everything...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Citaro said:

There was never any doubt that Lonsdale Quay would continue to exist in one form or another. The issue is that they spent $15 million.

I mean in retrospect, it cost that much to run the entirety of CMBC for 15 days.

In before the government announces a surplus of $700m

14 hours ago, Citaro said:

There was never any doubt that Lonsdale Quay would continue to exist in one form or another. The issue is that they spent $15 million over 18 months renewing it a mere 4 years ago. This is an appalling waste of money given ongoing funding issues. The upcoming fare hike in two weeks’ time is especially aggravating considering this waste.

You would rather ICBC or the Province keep the existing building that needs almost $200 million (in 2017, much more now with inflation) in maintenance and upgrades and is mostly redundant for ICBC's use just because Translink spent $15 million close to 10 years before it will be demolished?

It's not wasted money, it's a pre-pandemic sunk cost. 

7 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

I have biases because I like the entire Lonsdale area, but, I'll stick to the topic and also wonder if they'll remember the North Shore Rapid Transit study (which was in the news the other week)? They shared the proposed station locations, and public feedback (and, tbh, common sense) wants the Lonsdale station to be near the Seabus. Because having to integrate a probably-underground-skytrain station into this building/the exchange after it's built/rebuilt would be a third reconstruction of everything...

Running the BIRT along Esplanade doesn't seem to at all viable.  The street is too narrow to be elevated and there is no room below for it to be tunneled, there is already another rail line down there.  All signs so far point to it running along 3rd.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Citaro said:

This not waste, though. When the plan was developed & subsequently actioned to upgrade the bus exchange, there was no reasonable prospect of this rapid a change occurring. Translink executed a good project with tangible upgrades; it was a good decision that made positive change. Sometimes stuff just happens, and reassessing the project based on change that could not be reasonably foreseen is unfair. 

14 hours ago, madog222 said:

Running the BIRT along Esplanade doesn't seem to at all viable.  The street is too narrow to be elevated and there is no room below for it to be tunneled, there is already another rail line down there.  All signs so far point to it running along 3rd.

Yeah, those are valid limits, though 3rd isn't any wider for elevated and 2 blocks of tunnel might not matter compared to connectivity. I'm very interested in why they picked the locations they did in the study for stations, it's different than I imagined (I had lots of time to imagine while being stuck in ironworkers bridge traffic on the way to and from university), but also they don't seem to have actually studied details for the stations yet and they might not before designing this new building. I just hope they remember that. 

14 hours ago, madog222 said:

You would rather ICBC or the Province keep the existing building that needs almost $200 million (in 2017, much more now with inflation) in maintenance and upgrades and is mostly redundant for ICBC's use just because Translink spent $15 million close to 10 years before it will be demolished?

If they were able to establish that amount, it means they studied the long-term potential of that building. Clearly, it doesn’t have that potential, so why waste the money knowing it will soon face demolition? 

• 3 weeks later...