Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

6 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Anyone know why on this sheet the first 3 014's that start off from UBC leaving at 3am & 330am daily are assigned diesel's? I don't see any routing that would prevent a trolley from doing this!

Im pretty sure they're still using the Diesel Loop as the Trolley Loop is closed for emergency construction.

7 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Anyone know why on this sheet the first 3 014's that start off from UBC leaving at 3am & 330am daily are assigned diesel's? I don't see any routing that would prevent a trolley from doing this!

There's sewer upgrades at the entrance to the trolley loop (which was supposed to take two weeks and be done at the start of May, but has been extended multiple times).  The 4 and 14 have been terminating at Blanca Loop, with UBC riders transferring to the 84 or 99.  Since there are no alternatives for those early morning 14's, they get diesels to run through to UBC until the 99 starts up.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michael Marriott said:

There's sewer upgrades at the entrance to the trolley loop (which was supposed to take two weeks and be done at the start of May, but has been extended multiple times).  The 4 and 14 have been terminating at Blanca Loop, with UBC riders transferring to the 84 or 99.  Since there are no alternatives for those early morning 14's, they get diesels to run through to UBC until the 99 starts up.

Aren't they doing local if the passengers ask to?

On 5/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, InfiNorth said:

Even with bike lanes, the ferries a very long way out of town.

Meh, Bridgeport to the terminal is about 24kms - I rode that with my bike just to go see my girlfriend before I had a drivers licence.

Not all the bikes go to the ferries either, lots of riders get on/off at Ladner - Delta has some great biking routes that people like to use, but getting across the Fraser is a problem.

Wasnt posted here yet but Transit Service Performance Review came out recently.

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/plans-and-projects/managing-the-transit-network/tspr/2021_transit_service_performance_review.pdf

Top 10 busiest bus routes: 99, 49, R4, 25, 319, 16, R5, 20, R1, 9
Top 10 busiest stations: Waterfront, Metrotown, Commercial-Broadway, Burrard, Granville, Joyce-Collingwood, New Westminster, Van City Centre, Surrey Central, King George

Also:

301 ranking as a top-5 in Richmond (p.30) - higher average recovery rate (75%). Same page also suggests that alignment for Richmond-Expo Line is not decided yet.

Industrial routes (418/175/531 and to an extent 640) (p.32) - Either was higher than or exceeded recovery levels (418 pushed past at 134%!). All owes to nature of factory/industrial area work requiring in-person attendance.

601 vs 602 (p.41) 601 recovery owing to Tsawwassen Mills jobs on top of target ridership base of 602 (Tsawwassen Neighborhoods) which struggles as white collar workers (9-5) continue work from home mandates.

Asynchrounous Learning/Online courses explains no change in ridership for university students (p.33)

On 5/29/2022 at 10:55 PM, Stormscape said:

Problem with modifying a bus is then you can only use the bus on that specific route.

Which I believe is the same reason we don't have luggage racks on the deckers for the 620 despite massive numbers of passengers having luggage.

4 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Which I believe is the same reason we don't have luggage racks on the deckers for the 620 despite massive numbers of passengers having luggage.

Where would you put luggage racks in a decker?  The headroom on both decks is low as is.  On the Arctics I could see it.  620 is mostly operated by the 60fters now again anyways, makes sense - the luggage issue (with or with out racks) is more of a problem on the deckers than the Arctics.  Yeah, fewer seats but more useable space in the Arctic compared to the DD.

• Like 1

Expo Line alert:

Expo Line King George Station Platform 1 is closed for rail work maintenance Saturday, June 4th until end of service on Sunday, June 26th. Please board and exit from Platform 2.

Expo Line trains destined for King George Station will terminate at Surrey Central Station until the approximate times listed below:

Mon-Thur until around 8:45pm

Friday until around 10:30pm

Saturday until around 9:15pm

Sunday until around 8:45pm

NOTE: A shuttle train will operate between Surrey Central Station and King George Station to assist passengers until the time listed above. Regular service to operate until end of service afterwards.

Trains may dwell for longer than usual at Gateway Station.

Please allow 5 minutes extra travel time for Expo Line trips through Surrey Central.

Millennium Line and Canada Line are unaffected.

Alerts.translink.ca 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:41 PM, 9924 said:

Meh, Bridgeport to the terminal is about 24kms - I rode that with my bike just to go see my girlfriend before I had a drivers licence.

Not all the bikes go to the ferries either, lots of riders get on/off at Ladner - Delta has some great biking routes that people like to use, but getting across the Fraser is a problem.

Why not just send the 640 from Scott road station regular service down to Tsawwassen ferry as it used to if i recall correctly? 

Also looking at how 66 is from Chilliwack. About an hour to carvolth exchange. Now added one more stop to Lougheed. Usually 17 minutes (when able to speed up) up to 23 minutes to go from carvolth to highstreet. So if they can do this (bctransit) even with a Nova. I'm not going to complain..... 

I also heard due to Whistler system being on strike. They would probably have had a bus going to Vancouver by now. (I only heard rumors)

But maybe make 640 more often. Half through industrial (640I) (640E) 

640E means Express through River road (like weekend) while 640I means industrial (like weekday)

12 minutes ago, Busmanic92 said:

Why not just send the 640 from Scott road station regular service down to Tsawwassen ferry as it used to if i recall correctly? 

Also looking at how 66 is from Chilliwack. About an hour to carvolth exchange. Now added one more stop to Lougheed. Usually 17 minutes (when able to speed up) up to 23 minutes to go from carvolth to highstreet. So if they can do this (bctransit) even with a Nova. I'm not going to complain..... 

I also heard due to Whistler system being on strike. They would probably have had a bus going to Vancouver by now. (I only heard rumors)

But maybe make 640 more often. Half through industrial (640I) (640E) 

640E means Express through River road (like weekend) while 640I means industrial (like weekday)

That's interesting, I think it's better idea to create a route run Lander thru Tillbury industrial to Scottsdale like old 310 and also new routing what you've talked about which can make RTC easier to sent their buses to service for 555 at Lougheed Skytrain

37 minutes ago, Orcair said:

Interesting - no news about the "900" Bike Bus...

about that - I have an update (internal source) that the rollout is pushed back to July 1. Also: Board of directors meeting later this month may have updates.
==========================
Not sure if this was mentioned but there are also two operations transfers to take note of:
394 and 310 to RTC. Perhaps they can bring in remaining L-drive from VTC. VTC also should cycle extra 2009 HEV units to HTC as they send over extra XN40 to STC to cover 323 increases. 
========================
I really hope the FTN map is updated to reflect the 323. If anything, it's closer to meeting FTN standards than the 240 is.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:47 PM, Express691 said:

900 Schedule may be incorrect, word going around is that it's only FRI-SAT-SUN-HOL... 

Email I received today after asking why there’s no info about route 900 anywhere:

“There will be one hourly departure from both Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal and Bridgeport Station to align with ferry sailings.
The Bike Bus will run on Fridays, weekends, and holidays from July 1 (Canada Day) - Sept 5 (Labour Day), 2022 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.”

• Thanks 3

Going through the 2021 Transit Service Performance Review, the R3 was only implemented as a political decision rather than a strategic decision, right? The R3 has roughly the same ridership as the 791, so there’s pretty much no justification in keeping the service as a RapidBus when the 701 was doing fine running with primarily 60-footers prior to the introduction of the R3. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to go from Coquitlam to Haney in about 30 minutes, but based on the ridership alone the R3 should really be reduced to a regular express running every 20-30 minutes.

4 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

Going through the 2021 Transit Service Performance Review, the R3 was only implemented as a political decision rather than a strategic decision, right? The R3 has roughly the same ridership as the 791, so there’s pretty much no justification in keeping the service as a RapidBus when the 701 was doing fine running with primarily 60-footers prior to the introduction of the R3. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to go from Coquitlam to Haney in about 30 minutes, but based on the ridership alone the R3 should really be reduced to a regular express running every 20-30 minutes.

But what's the argument strictly from a political view? I'd like to believe this is internalized and we may never know.

Not surprised however - there are/were a few instances of rumors that involve threatening from politicians/activists (from what I know)

The direction was definitely a correct one, albeit years too early. The decision to keep both at FTN levels ensures that overall ridership doesn't tank. Reducing the R3 to any less than 15 minutes will just set it back several years to get to the point where 15 min service is justified over current.

• Like 1