Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

22 hours ago, 8800GTX said:

321 split, the north segment extended to Scott Road Station, and the south segment combined with 350? OK if anyone has info about this I would certainly like to hear more ūü§Ē

In my observations a lot of 321 ridership demand now is confined to the segment south of Newton (i.e. coming northbound most of the bus disembarks at Newton, vice versa). That said I wouldn't be in favour of the change if there are no improvements to service and operating hours on the 394 and if service isn't at least returned to previous levels on the R1.

Given that this doesn't seem to be part of any operating sheet changes I kinda feel that it'll be part of a new round of "Transit Network Optimization" proposals with public consultations...

-----

On a separate note CEO Kevin Quinn spoke to DH about the upcoming cuts, looks like he's decided to come at us honestly and admit there will be some upcoming cuts (along with the context for which the cuts are taking place).

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-ridership-rebound-bus-service-cuts

That said it seemed a bit off to me that he's saying that they want to "avoid the busiest routes" with the cuts although as we've found the drop in AM/PM frequency includes the 319, the 410, the 130... I was thinking it over though and remembered that there are murmurs of TL wanting to switch 319 to articulated buses. If that new order arrives on time then I wonder if the adjustment in service is due to the switch to bigger buses on some routes??? ūü§Ē

This will be the first round of cuts. The rumors I have heard about the 2022 Spring/Summer changes made my blood boil (lots of late night and weekend cuts)...but Translink is apparantly forecasting a grim picture ahead with declining fuel consumption and passenger boardings.

The truth is the pandemic and the recent natural disasters have put this country into massive debt and there are life and death priorities right now. Governments at all levels have transit issues (does not include projects) at the backburner.

2 hours ago, GoCanGo said:

The truth is the pandemic and the recent natural disasters have put this country into massive debt and there are life and death priorities right now. Governments at all levels have transit issues (does not include projects) at the backburner.

"Oh no, climate change is getting worse. Let's get people off transit and back into their own private cars and in doing so make it harder for them to get to work and thus get the economy going again." Something doesn't add up here. Right now is the perfect time to put transit in focus rather than push it aside.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

"Oh no, climate change is getting worse. Let's get people off transit and back into their own private cars and in doing so make it harder for them to get to work and thus get the economy going again." Something doesn't add up here. Right now is the perfect time to put transit in focus rather than push it aside.

It's not the transit authorities or even the government you need to convince of that, it's the working and traveling public.

6 hours ago, GoCanGo said:

This will be the first round of cuts. The rumors I have heard about the 2022 Spring/Summer changes made my blood boil (lots of late night and weekend cuts)...but Translink is apparantly forecasting a grim picture ahead with declining fuel consumption and passenger boardings.

So lets see....cut some service off of some routes in order to save $$$, but they have no problem wasting money on fuel costs by having diesels running on trolley routes like the 017 has been all week, or assigning a single diesel mixed in with trolleys doesn't make sense at all! This outfit has their priorities wrong!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dover5949 said:

So lets see....cut some service off of some routes in order to save $$$, but they have no problem wasting money on fuel costs by having diesels running on trolley routes like the 017 has been all week, or assigning a single diesel mixed in with trolleys doesn't make sense at all! This outfit has their priorities wrong!

If they need to run diesels in order to ensure service on the route, i dont see how that is money wasted

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dover5949 said:

LOL, well, there goes their whole budget¬†ūü§£

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but appeasing the wishes of trolley fans isn't exactly their top priority.  If they need to run diesels on a trolley route, then they need to run diesels.  There are dozens of reasons why.

• Like 5

On 12/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, InfiNorth said:

Not saying it makes sense. The government doesn't see transit operational services as a priority. They are either investing in upfront capital projects that can be visually seen or provide opportunities for photo-ops and announcements. Taxpayers are venomously against transit improvements as well, acting against their self-interest since traffic is projected to get worse as we add 1.2 million immigrants each year going forward.

Translink pre-COVID was seen as this demonic evil entity that was leeching funds instead of one that maintains a road network and provides some of the best service in the continent. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoCanGo said:

Not saying it makes sense. The government doesn't see transit operational services as a priority. They are either investing in upfront capital projects that can be visually seen or provide opportunities for photo-ops and announcements. Taxpayers are venomously against transit improvements as well, acting against their self-interest since traffic is projected to get worse as we add 1.2 million immigrants each year going forward.

Translink pre-COVID was seen as this demonic evil entity that was leeching funds instead of one that maintains a road network and provides some of the best service in the continent. 

Drives me crazy how ungrateful people are for transit. Translink is one of the best systems out there, yet people take every opportunity to attack it. If they don't want traffic to get worse, the only real option is for better transit, but people can't seem to connect the dots.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, GoCanGo said:

And don't forget about all the negative publicity flying around during the contract negotiations that almost resulted in a three-day shutdown of the bus network...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

And don't forget about all the negative publicity flying around during the contract negotiations that almost resulted in a three-day shutdown of the bus network...

The worst was our provincial government allowing the public to vote for increased funding in the 2015 Metro Vancouver Transportation and Transit Referendum. Of course it failed, because the public are against any tax increase, even if it benefits them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoCanGo said:

The worst was our provincial government allowing the public to vote for increased funding in the 2015 Metro Vancouver Transportation and Transit Referendum. Of course it failed, because the public are against any tax increase, even if it benefits them. 

Which is actually a strange departure from the norm, since quite often, the public within cities in North America do actually support increased taxes for better transit... but only when it has been explained well and is noticeably better. 

Source: Better Buses, Better Cities, (2019, Island Press)

2 hours ago, dover5949 said:

36 Years ago today was the start of Skytrain between Waterfront & New West. Even CTV's Mike McCardell had it on his weekday Segment "The Last Word" yesterday. The Last Word: SkyTrain marks a milestone | CTV News

I saw the link to this video from CTV's twitter last night. The tweet mentioned, and the anchor in the video said 35 years, so was McCardell's segment recycled from last year? He mentioned 1985 in his piece.

11 minutes ago, rickie22 said:

I saw the link to this video from CTV's twitter last night. The tweet mentioned, and the anchor in the video said 35 years, so was McCardell's segment recycled from last year? He mentioned 1985 in his piece.

I also noticed that he quoted 35 years. Probably a rerun from last year?

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-and-maps/service-changes

Service changes effective January 3, 2022

Most cuts are either on weekend service or peak-hour frequent service by 1 bus per hour (every 5 minutes to every 5.5 minutes, every 6 minutes to every 7.5 minutes and so forth).

Route 84 to move to articulated service.
Route 310 to move to conventional service except trips via Delta View facility
Subtle increases to 323 and 640.
321 peak trips service Scott Road Station to alleviate congestion at Surrey Central Station 
At Surrey Central, trips extending north use bay 14 while all southbound trips remain at bay 9, even those coming from Scott Road.

Ongoing discussion also about routes not being cut such as 247, 214 portion to Vancouver, or even 211/210 consolidation. 

What does 210/211 consolidation look like?

They serve decidedly different areas on the North Shore obviously. "Back in the old day" the 211 only went to Phibbs, they added a few Vancouver trips during peak hours, eventually the 290 was removed and most 211's during peak went to Vancouver. And now we have most trips serving Vancouver. 

6 hours ago, Dane said:

What does 210/211 consolidation look like?

They serve decidedly different areas on the North Shore obviously. "Back in the old day" the 211 only went to Phibbs, they added a few Vancouver trips during peak hours, eventually the 290 was removed and most 211's during peak went to Vancouver. And now we have most trips serving Vancouver. 

Was trying to refer to duplication on the vancouver-phibbs exchange section. Can passengers just squeeze onto the 210 for the time being? Heard there's lots of space on that section that could use some cutting.

Also seems a bit wasteful IMO to extend the 214 to burrard station (at least now) - this has been eluded to earlier in this thread by someone else.

TL;DR - 210/211/214 between Phibbs and Downtown could benefit from re-organization

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Was trying to refer to duplication on the vancouver-phibbs exchange section. Can passengers just squeeze onto the 210 for the time being? Heard there's lots of space on that section that could use some cutting.

Also seems a bit wasteful IMO to extend the 214 to burrard station (at least now) - this has been eluded to earlier in this thread by someone else.

TL;DR - 210/211/214 between Phibbs and Downtown could benefit from re-organization

Agreed. In my experience, the Phibbs - Vancouver section is usually fairly low ridership, especially outside of peak hours. It would probably make sense to cut the 211 and 214's Vancouver portions, especially the 211's off-peak service downtown.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:09 PM, Express691 said:

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-and-maps/service-changes

Service changes effective January 3, 2022

Most cuts are either on weekend service or peak-hour frequent service by 1 bus per hour (every 5 minutes to every 5.5 minutes, every 6 minutes to every 7.5 minutes and so forth).

Route 84 to move to articulated service.
Route 310 to move to conventional service except trips via Delta View facility
Subtle increases to 323 and 640.
321 peak trips service Scott Road Station to alleviate congestion at Surrey Central Station 
At Surrey Central, trips extending north use bay 14 while all southbound trips remain at bay 9, even those coming from Scott Road.

Ongoing discussion also about routes not being cut such as 247, 214 portion to Vancouver, or even 211/210 consolidation. 

That means 84 will go to BTC with the articulated buses~~

31 minutes ago, Cathay 888 said:

That means 84 will go to BTC with the articulated buses~~

That's not what I've heard.

I believe the plan is to assign some of the new XDE60s to VTC for that purpose.

We'll see how long that lasts, because the last time there were diesel artics assigned to VTC, there was nowhere to park in the yard at night...

(Notwithstanding that summer a few years ago when a handful of the new RapidBus artics were mixed in with the artic trolleys.)

• Like 4

Sources say there was a train fire at Templeton station, resulting in the closure of the YVR branch.

Very hard to prove what happened as so far, no one has sent pictures of the situation (very unusual in the age of social media)

• Sad 2