Jump to content

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)


cleowin
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, brianc1981 said:

sorry if the answer is already there, but I am not sure what the route 80 is that we are talking about? Is that a different variation of the 100? 

Also I know they are planning reductions of service but I am hoping that they will have Run as Directed buses that could operate, to help with overflow on routes. then Translink can see the demand and schedule accordingly. In Toronto they have a bunch of the RAD buses, something like 600 and they are assigned to different routes where demand is the strongest, also some are assigned to subway shuttles. So maybe that is what will happen out there, routes will have extra buses added and they can plan based on demand. 

 

2F0F34AD-C1A2-4EC3-9148-C5A4C9A735FD.jpeg
I assume the stops will be:

Marine Drive Station

Main St

Fraser St

Knight St

Victoria Dr

Elliott St

River District

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 8010 said:

 

2F0F34AD-C1A2-4EC3-9148-C5A4C9A735FD.jpeg
I assume the stops will be:

Marine Drive Station

Main St

Fraser St

Knight St

Victoria Dr

Elliott St

River District

Excellent, thank you for that. I could see this as a 7 day a week service. But my only thought would be that it runs Marine Drive Station to River District and up to Metrotown. I believe there is currently a bus that operates from Metrotown down to River District (I could be wrong) but if there is I think it would be better to merge both routes together. This way for some people on Marine there is a second choice to get to the expo line instead of just 22nd St station. I also know there is the shuttle routes that operate between Edmonds, Royal Oak and Metrotown. I was looking at a map of the routes and I believe at least one of the routes travels along Marine way I believe and those routes could probably be extended into the River District as well. To me making those changes would go a long way to reducing congestion on the 100 and would work well to service a big growth area and give people lots more options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, brianc1981 said:

Excellent, thank you for that. I could see this as a 7 day a week service. But my only thought would be that it runs Marine Drive Station to River District and up to Metrotown. I believe there is currently a bus that operates from Metrotown down to River District (I could be wrong) but if there is I think it would be better to merge both routes together. This way for some people on Marine there is a second choice to get to the expo line instead of just 22nd St station. I also know there is the shuttle routes that operate between Edmonds, Royal Oak and Metrotown. I was looking at a map of the routes and I believe at least one of the routes travels along Marine way I believe and those routes could probably be extended into the River District as well. To me making those changes would go a long way to reducing congestion on the 100 and would work well to service a big growth area and give people lots more options. 

There is the 31, however, it doesn’t make sense to merge the two routes in my opinion, but I think extending the 80 to Metrotown via Boundary, imperial, Willingdon, with no stops in between River District and Metrotown as there would be practically no ridership on that portion of the route, would work.

85D6D8CD-9EE1-4D70-BBD3-A657A2ADAC32.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 8010 said:

There is the 31, however, it doesn’t make sense to merge the two routes in my opinion, but I think extending the 80 to Metrotown via Boundary, imperial, Willingdon, with no stops in between River District and Metrotown as there would be practically no ridership on that portion of the route, would work.

85D6D8CD-9EE1-4D70-BBD3-A657A2ADAC32.jpeg

I agree about extending the 80 via Boundary, but I'm not sure why it would make sense to have no stops. If ridership is low, then so be it, the stops don't really cost riders anything if they're not used much, but I'm sure they'd be a huge asset to those who could use them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Zortan said:

I agree about extending the 80 via Boundary, but I'm not sure why it would make sense to have no stops. If ridership is low, then so be it, the stops don't really cost riders anything if they're not used much, but I'm sure they'd be a huge asset to those who could use them.

I’m thinking no stops similar to the 430’s route from Tyne to Metrotown EB, I’m not against having stops along the way by any means as long as it isn’t local stopping because I get annoyed when an “express” route does local service along long stretches of its route as it defeats the whole purpose of the name “express.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at the alerts page, some stops for the 17 and 25 will be reinstated on Monday, July 5.  On the 17, the stops at Oak and 43rd Ave in both directions will be re-opened, and the 25 stop EB at Alexandra St (which is basically nearside Granville) will re-open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I don't see any evidence of the 80 coming in September, at least not out of HTC.

Nope, nothing changed in the schedule (at least at route level).

No 80.  32, 258, and 480 aren't coming back for Sept sheet either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, nname said:

Nope, nothing changed in the schedule (at least at route level).

No 80.  32, 258, and 480 aren't coming back for Sept sheet either.

32 doesn't really need to exist and they been trying to eliminate the 480 for quite some time. 

340 is going to Richmond

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-burrard-station-expansion-closure-2022
Burrard Station will be closed for 2 years starting next year due to upgrades. Granville Station should be fun during that time.

I remember when I first visited Vancouver I could either use Vancouver City Centre on the Canada Line or Granville on the Expo Line. Depending on the destination. 

Taking Granville is very shallow taking a few escalators down. Taking a few minutes from the street entrance on Seymour Street until reaching the platform. Reading that it has also undergone similar work to replace the escalators taking the same amount of time to install the upgrades to the station. 

An explainer video has been posted by Translink: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Burrard station upgrades are much more substantial. Essentially, they're completely redoing the entire station entrance and mezzanine. If anything, it's more like the upgrades they did to Main Street and Metrotown, where only the platforms themselves were left intact — except that, with Granville and Waterfront so close, they can afford to close Burrard entirely, and with it having only the single entrance, they basically have to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, Phillip said:

32 doesn't really need to exist and they been trying to eliminate the 480 for quite some time. 

340 is going to Richmond

I’m thinking this has already been talked about, but I’ve heard that the 340 will be deckers. Is this confirmed and if so. what are  all your opinions on that? 

i never imagined it would be necessary but it should be helpful to increase capacity and comfort. Hopefully the trees along Kittson Parkway don’t give it too much trouble! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Urban_96 said:

I’m thinking this has already been talked about, but I’ve heard that the 340 will be deckers. Is this confirmed

Thats why the 340 is moving to RTC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mid-term detours for Green Timbers buses start Monday until further notice. Route via 96, 148th to Fraser.

A transit priority signal was installed on WB Fraser at 148th.

WB 503 stop is moved to 150th instead of NB 148th

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question 1. What are Translink's plans for garages in Pitt Meadows / Maple Rdige as well as Langley / Surrey / White Rock?

Currently, Port Coquitlam services the former and Surrey services the latter... but both are kind of distant from the areas they serve, and there is also First Transit providing Community Shuttle service in the Langley area out of Cloverdale...

Something tells me that a garage in the Port Kells area could service both regions as they grow... but that still leaves some questions, like:

1. What routes or equipment will operate from said garage?

2. Who will own or operate said garage?

Question 2. Perhaps I missed it, but has Translink shared any site plans or detailed renders for either OMC4 (near Braid Station) or Marpole Transit Center? I know there was a preliminary site plan for OMC4 already...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

and there is also First Transit providing Community Shuttle service in the Langley area out of Cloverdale...

 

Thats HandyDart - separate contract from conventional/community shuttle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Thats HandyDart - separate contract from conventional/community shuttle.

First Transit operates shuttle services on routes 280, 281, 282, 370, 372, 560, 561, 562, 563, and 564.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Large impact/construction to occur on two separate weeks on the SkyBridge in August.

Peak service on King George branch is 2 trains per direction every 15 minutes (effectively 8tph down from the usual 18 (!))

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-skybridge-maintenance-2021

Quote

Work is planned for the following dates:

July 31st – August 7th
Expo Line service will single-track between Scott Road Station and Columbia Station Platform 1.

August 14th to August 21st
Expo Line service will single-track between Scott Road Station and New Westminster Station Platform 2.

To keep customers moving as quickly as possible between stations, trains will cross two at a time in each direction, providing 15-minute service during peak periods. At all other times, one train will cross in each direction, providing 12-minute service.

===============
That said, I want to take a guess that there will be additional mk2 pulled from Coquitlam to add capacity (assume 4car mk2 can carry more than 6 car mk1) since there is a net decrease of Expo Line trains. Then send the mk1s to Evergreen like during the heat wave.

WF to KG 8tph (but in pairs)


There is a part that's on alerts that isn't on the Buzzer Website:

-Trains between Edmonds and Waterfront will run additional service.

Might be enough leeway to run the mk1s but I still think there will be additional mk2.0 to aid in capacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Express691 said:

Large impact/construction to occur on two separate weeks on the SkyBridge in August.

Peak service on King George branch is 2 trains per direction every 15 minutes (effectively 8tph down from the usual 18 (!))

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-skybridge-maintenance-2021

===============
That said, I want to take a guess that there will be additional mk2 pulled from Coquitlam to add capacity (assume 4car mk2 can carry more than 6 car mk1) since there is a net decrease of Expo Line trains. Then send the mk1s to Evergreen like during the heat wave.

WF to KG 8tph (but in pairs)


There is a part that's on alerts that isn't on the Buzzer Website:

-Trains between Edmonds and Waterfront will run additional service.

Might be enough leeway to run the mk1s but I still think there will be additional mk2.0 to aid in capacity.

The 340 is being looked at for additional capacity, idk if anything’s going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

The 340 is being looked at for additional capacity, idk if anything’s going to happen.

I know who is involved in that (it was originally a twitter exchange), and as far as I'm concerned that is unrelated to this construction - rather part of the September service changes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 8010 said:

The 340 is being looked at for additional capacity, idk if anything’s going to happen.

Hopefully translink should make 340 going to Langley central as an express route, keep 342 as local between Newton and Langley central

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...