Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

52 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Heard rumours of 44 returning but with trips inside linegroup 027

It's not in the schedule yet, along with 143, 258, etc.  But it does seems like 44 is coming back, as there are a lot of R5 Waterfront Station trips.

Not sure if I read this anywhere from ATP or network review, but seems like 310 will be extended into Ladner Centre (51st/47ave)

2 hours ago, nname said:

Not sure if I read this anywhere from ATP or network review, but seems like 310 will be extended into Ladner Centre (51st/47ave)

Hah - guess thats why the 310 never said ladner exchange in the first place, it was likely their longtime intent to extend it 

• Like 2

Preliminary changes for Sept 2021

2 - Weekday mid-day/evening service reduce to 10min (from 5-8min)
20 - Weekday afternoon service reduce to 15min (from 10min), PM peak reduce to 10min (from 8min)
23 - Morning/evening service reduction Mon-Sun, generally to every 10-15min (from 8-10min)
100 - Weekday early morning/PM peak service reduction, mid-day service reduced to 15min (from 12min)
116 - Additional late-night round-trip Mon-Sun
130 - Peak service increase to 7-8min (from 10min), Sat service reduce to 10-15min (from 10min), Sun service reduce to 15min (from 10min)
143 - Service reinstated with no evening service 
145 - Sat service increase to 15min (from 20min), Sun service increase to 20min (from 30min)
222 - Peak service increase to 7-8min (from 10min)
227 - Sat/Sun service to be confirmed
262 - Evening service on Mon-Thurs, to be confirmed
301 - Peak service reduce to 15min (from 12min), additional weekday westbound evening trip
310 - Service extended to Ladner Village
408 - Peak service reduce to 12min (from 10min)
616 - Morning peak service reduce to 30min (from 15min)
617 - Route cancelled
R5 - Reintroduce Waterfront-Kootenay short-turns
SeaBus - Reintroduce 10min peak service, earlier 15min service on weekends

No change on 32, 44, 258, 480 yet... will check this again later

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Can't tell bus type from schedule.

Update previous post for weekend 130 change, and add 227 to questionable list.  I don't know why they increase 227 service to Lynn Valley Suspension bridge beyond what's currently scheduled in June.  Maybe there will be a service increase some time between June and Sept?

227.png

1 hour ago, nname said:

Update previous post for weekend 130 change, and add 227 to questionable list.  I don't know why they increase 227 service to Lynn Valley Suspension bridge beyond what's currently scheduled in June.  Maybe there will be a service increase some time between June and Sept?

Those extra 227 trips were supposed to start with the April sheet, but were cancelled last minute because the District of North Vancouver closed the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge for Covid.  Of course, in my experience, those extra trips have been of limited use anyway since most people heading to the suspension bridge get on at Phibbs, not Lynn Valley Ctr.

13 hours ago, nname said:

227.png

Where can I reads this data?

13 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Those extra 227 trips were supposed to start with the April sheet, but were cancelled last minute because the District of North Vancouver closed the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge for Covid.  Of course, in my experience, those extra trips have been of limited use anyway since most people heading to the suspension bridge get on at Phibbs, not Lynn Valley Ctr.

Those trips were never on the April timetable though.  But I guess not printing them also allow them to make last-minute edits.

Weird that they still bother running the extra trips when the park is closed.  It serve no other purpose beside the park and the suspension bridge.

1 hour ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

Where can I reads this data?

It's from my script pulling data from TransLink's trip planning site.  https://tripplanning.translink.ca/

• Thanks 1

Watched a presentation for work. Looks like a 96th Ave cross-town route from Scott Rd @ 96 AVE to Maple Meadows was proposed as a potential route (apparently has been planned since 2012). Also noted was plans to complete 84th Ave and 92nd Ave as crosstown arterials from Delta to Langley which could present additional E-W routes.

Surrey is projecting roads to be completely congested to hell by 2030, so the race is on to create more major arterials for better grid transit services. 

edit: The plan for downtown Surrey is to see smaller blocks, which probably means more intersections. Weird plan to see because more traffic lights = slower bus service. 

That 100 reduction will be a massive blow to riders given there are already massive delays arising from the current construction on Marine Drive 🤦‍♂️ They had better not go ahead with it.

I'm also puzzled by the 301 peak reduction, right as KPU students will be returning to class. Don't they need that capacity???

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 8800GTX said:

That 100 reduction will be a massive blow to riders given there are already massive delays arising from the current construction on Marine Drive 🤦‍♂️ They had better not go ahead with it.

I'm also puzzled by the 301 peak reduction, right as KPU students will be returning to class. Don't they need that capacity???

A driver I know said the September sheets are already posted in the depots, so any changes are set in stone at this point.

As for the 301, it's the same as the 3, 8, 20 and 555 which saw big cuts last fall because they are running with high capacity buses that aren't full yet, and so it's felt frequency can be cut to match demand (never mind that cutting one third to one half the buses would hamper ridership recovery).

8 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

A driver I know said the September sheets are already posted in the depots, so any changes are set in stone at this point.

As for the 301, it's the same as the 3, 8, 20 and 555 which saw big cuts last fall because they are running with high capacity buses that aren't full yet, and so it's felt frequency can be cut to match demand (never mind that cutting one third to one half the buses would hamper ridership recovery).

The issue is, those routes will probably be full come fall, with more and more workplaces and schools returning to in-person operations, so there'll be a lot more commuters than there are now, so the service reductions, while probably a good move budget-wise, are probably gonna sting later.

On 6/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, nname said:

310 - Service extended to Ladner Village

No change on 32, 44, 258, 480 yet... will check this again later

Update, 44 will be back for Sept sheet (comparison with Jan 2020 schedule)

44 - Service reinstated with reduction in service, peak every 8-12min, mid-day 30min (from 20min), last round-trip cancelled

Also, schedule for 310 had been updated.  Route name changed to "Scottsdale/Ladner" and westbound sign becomes "Ladner" or "Ladner via Deltaview"

Routing is Ladner Trunk -> Arthur -> 45 Ave -> 51 St -> 47a Ave -> Ladner Trunk.  No layover at Ladner terminus.

• Like 5

On 6/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, 8800GTX said:

The 100 is already busy as hell during most times of the day, so I agree that the service reductions make no sense and further proves my point that the planners and schedulers don’t know what they’re doing considering most work places and schools will be fully open in September after more people have been fully vaccinated. I do not believe that these routes need to see these many service reductions during the busiest service change of the year when they have fully operational D40LFs just occasionally being used as training units and I’m fairly certain there’s enough drivers to fill those seats.

I’ve personally always liked the 44 so I’m glad to see its return.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

The 100 is already busy as hell during most times of the day, so I agree that the service reductions make no sense and further proves my point that the planners and schedulers don’t know what they’re doing considering most work places and schools will be fully open in September after more people have been fully vaccinated. I do not believe that these routes need to see these many service reductions during the busiest service change of the year when they have fully operational D40LFs just occasionally being used as training units and I’m fairly certain there’s enough drivers to fill those seats.

I’ve personally always liked the 44 so I’m glad to see its return.

Maybe they're adding the 80 in September?  After all, its target implementation date was "2020-2021".  I don't know... it's not added to the schedule yet, but they are still updating the online schedule right now, just like how 44 was added back last week.

• Like 4

On 6/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, nname said:

Maybe they're adding the 80 in September?  After all, its target implementation date was "2020-2021".  I don't know... it's not added to the schedule yet, but they are still updating the online schedule right now, just like how 44 was added back last week.

I believe the #80 was supposed to be a peak-hours only route, with no mid-day service. So for the #100 it's a straight reduction, and it will lead to a horrible rider experience.

In my experience the unpredictability of construction delays means that passenger loads on the #100 become quite uneven. I've seen many drivers ignore the temporary "bus lanes" (which are only signed, there's no special paint or cones and that hasn't changed despite several of my emails to the City of Van). You might spend only a couple of minutes merging into a single lane point... or you might be there for 15 freaking minutes behind a line-up of vehicles that all took the 'bus lane'. I just ride end-to-end but for people from in-between it's also been a terrible experience with the changing stop locations, which have been significantly confusing for passengers and in some cases significantly extending walking times (i.e. from the Marine/Argyle stop which has been closed recently). Add pass-ups to that from full buses going by due to delays, and it will be a gong show.

I'd be happy at this point with the current service being maintained, if coordination to get transit through the construction zones could improve. The current 12 min mid-day schedule syncs well with our mid-day SkyTrains (6 min freq on each branch, on both the Expo & Canada Lines); a 15 min schedule is not in sync and it will result in more uneven loads from the termini.

However, with the return to normal and upcoming increase in passenger loads, they should actually consider a temporary service increase for mid-day (at least until construction ends sometime in December 2022). I would be happy if they delivered that by having mid-day service on the #80.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Large Cat said:

tenor.gif

Every single time I have taken the 20 in the last few months the bus has been very busy. A complete waste of E60LFR resources when they aren’t being moved to any other route.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 8010 said:

Every single time I have taken the 20 in the last few months the bus has been very busy. A complete waste of E60LFR resources when they aren’t being moved to any other route.

This quote got me thinking. I'm not trying to bash the person who posted this as that could have been anyone on this forum but... I see many of you are just bus fans so you're focused on buses and I get that. This case of cutting frequency of 20's isn't about reusing vehicles. Vehicles can't move without drivers. Drivers are not permanently married to a bus and it's not always the vehicles that are needed to make use of efficiency especially when we have a large alternative fuels fleet each with limitations other than diesel fueled. The drivers though can move moved to a different garage whether they like it or not to expand services there in that region. That is likely what this is about.

Now with that said I know there was once a push for battery bus rather than trolley and myself I have no preference in either or. both have a limitations with how they are assigned and both require a lot of money to expand. Same with CNG although there are more garages that can handle them now. As much as I hate to say this Diesel is the most efficient short term vehicle to use because they can be used anywhere as we speak. That will change later on as other fuel sources take over as priority but as of now...

sorry if the answer is already there, but I am not sure what the route 80 is that we are talking about? Is that a different variation of the 100? 

Also I know they are planning reductions of service but I am hoping that they will have Run as Directed buses that could operate, to help with overflow on routes. then Translink can see the demand and schedule accordingly. In Toronto they have a bunch of the RAD buses, something like 600 and they are assigned to different routes where demand is the strongest, also some are assigned to subway shuttles. So maybe that is what will happen out there, routes will have extra buses added and they can plan based on demand. 

• Like 1