Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

On 3/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, InfiNorth said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why does SkyTrain service operate exceptionally slowly over some sections of track that seem to be better suited for high-speed operations? The lengths that come to mind are the two Fraser River crossings and the Canada Line around Bridgeport (even far away from the mess of switches into the maintenance centre). 

They do that to see if anyone notices it and how quick someone comments on it on social media ?

Seriously though, no idea.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Opal said:

I know many years back (I want to say 2012???) there was a really bad "track issue" around that area that was causing trains to "skip" (don't know how to describe it - it was a noticeable shudder...) when trains were departing Olympic Village inbound.  Eventually all heck broke loose and all trains were timing out causing huge delays - I remember that well because it was messed up for my trip to work and again on my trip home (I lived in Vancouver and worked in Richmond at the time).

Ever since, they've done this slow order and "brake" through that section.  I do suspect the incident was the cause, but don't know for sure.

There's another section just through the yard switch leading up to Bridgeport Station outbound that used to cause trains to shudder that also eventually "broke", causing delays, but last time I rode the Canada Line (which was now over a year ago - thanks pandemic...) it was no longer doing that and there was no additional "slow" order than the normal slowness through a switch.

The only area of the line I can think of that’s currently causing the trains to jerk (I don’t know how to describe it either) is the middle of the track switch at Waterfront. When trains heading South leave from the inbound platform/Platform 1 (not sure who thought giving Waterfront two Platform 1s was a good idea) and are accelerating through the middle of the switch the train jerks and noticeable sparks come from the middle of the train, kinda reminds me of a trolley accelerating through an insulator.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/senakw-burrard-bridge-bus-exchange-streetcar-transit-hub
Would you call this a transit exchange or two fancy bus stops? I don’t really see TransLink changing any of the adjacent routes to serve those stops and all four routes (2, 32, 44, 258) that would be serving those stops basically share the same route along Burrard Street between the bridge and Burrard Station. Also, wouldn’t it make more sense to have the streetcar/LRT be integrated with the “transit exchange” at the bridge rather than 1st Avenue? At least then you could technically call it a transit exchange.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/senakw-burrard-bridge-bus-exchange-streetcar-transit-hub

Also, wouldn’t it make more sense to have the streetcar/LRT be integrated with the “transit exchange” at the bridge rather than 1st Avenue? 

First off, I agree. This trend of calling upgraded stops a "hub" or "exchange" goes hand-in-hand with called a tiny streetcar line an "LRT," calling buses that run on normal roads "BRT" or calling once-per-fifteen-minute transit "frequent." Can we coin the term "transitwashing" as a sister-term to "greenwashing?" Or has someone already done this?

In response to the sentence I quoted... I would genuinely be willing to put good money on there not being a streetcar in Vancouver in the near future at all. I would be the first to ride it addictively, but looking at how the City of Vancouver behaves when it comes to improving transit, I wouldn't expect it before 2040. Considering we have to wait two decades for a few extra subway stops to be built along the highest-demand bus corridor in Vancouver, a streetcar would be a virtual miracle at this point. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

https://developer.translink.ca/ServicesGtfs/GtfsData

Changes according to publicly available GTFS data:

501: AM peak increase, extend PM carvolth trips to Langley Ctr

394: Every 20 minutes peak

R1: Reduce to every 10 minutes

321: peak reduction

Announcement likely to come 29 Mar for service changes

What are you using for GTFS visualization/extraction? I know it's pretty "easy" to read GTFS data (I've written and read some myself), but if you're using a tool to view it in a more user-friendly way I would love to know about it. 

By the way, I tried to check those updates on NextBus... nothing is working. No routes. All the stops work fine, but the routes won't visualize. Is this related the seemingly permanent damage from the ransomware attacks? 

3 hours ago, nname said:

According to the latest Mayor's Council agenda, TransLink is starting to phase out printed timetable.  Starting this fall, only 10k copies will be made (compred to 75k before), and will only be available in selected locations or by request.

Supposedly this actually represents an accommodation measure: CMBC’s original intention was to do away with printed timetables altogether, but many transit-dependent seniors and disabled don’t have easy access to online timetables.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Supposedly this actually represents an accommodation measure: CMBC’s original intention was to do away with printed timetables altogether, but many transit-dependent seniors and disabled don’t have easy access to online timetables.

And for those who prefers paper timetables (like me).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

And for those who prefers paper timetables (like me).

Or those who straight up can't afford what is now recognized as literally the most expensive cellular data on the planet. Or those who don't want to drain their phone's battery trying to figure out when the next bus comes using a website that has the efficiency of slug.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Or those who straight up can't afford what is now recognized as literally the most expensive cellular data on the planet. Or those who don't want to drain their phone's battery trying to figure out when the next bus comes using a website that has the efficiency of slug.

But the website is “mobile-friendly.” I don’t want to sound like an ass, but when it comes to modern technology TransLink usually has no idea what the hell they’re doing. Their mobile website is better but not great (just develop an app for Christ sake), they’re going into month five with no T-Comm, and I don’t even bother trying to use the trip planner on my phone if it’s slow as hell on my gaming PC. ?

Radar is probably the best app to get when T-Comm is actually working, although the predicted vehicle locations they’re currently using based on schedule data is usually somewhat accurate. I wish TransitDB had an app on iPhone because IMO that’s the easiest timetable app I’ve found so far.

• Like 2

Heard through the grapevine that the 338 East Fraser Heights route will be going live in September. It will be shuttle bus only service terminating near Guildford library. Bus stops have apparently been finished recently. This will duplicate service along 104th avenue and there are no real plans to alter the 337 routing to 112th Ave due to fierce neighborhood opposition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoCanGo said:

Heard through the grapevine that the 338 East Fraser Heights route will be going live in September. It will be shuttle bus only service terminating near Guildford library. Bus stops have apparently been finished recently. This will duplicate service along 104th avenue and there are no real plans to alter the 337 routing to 112th Ave due to fierce neighborhood opposition. 

I don’t recall rerouting the 337 was ever part of the plan.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

I don’t recall rerouting the 337 was ever part of the plan.

It wasn't. Some planners wanted the route altered to go EB down 108th AVE, NB 168th and then WB 112th to 156th Ave. Residents werent suppotive of that plan. Translink wasn't even interested in hearing it.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:45 PM, Express691 said:

https://developer.translink.ca/ServicesGtfs/GtfsData

Changes according to publicly available GTFS data:

501: AM peak increase, extend PM carvolth trips to Langley Ctr

394: Every 20 minutes peak

R1: Reduce to every 10 minutes

321: peak reduction

Announcement likely to come 29 Mar for service changes

I'm pretty sure the 555 frequency has also been reduced from every 10 minutes to every 12 minutes during peak hours. This reduces the total number of buses from 6 to 5.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but it looks like they may be putting up a WB stop at Marine @ Columbia St, I’m only guessing because there’s a pole and it looks somewhat freshly paved, the stop placement doesn’t make much sense unless the Marine Dr upgrades are going to heavily affect the 3 and 100.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:16 PM, 8010 said:

I could be wrong but it looks like they may be putting up a WB stop at Marine @ Columbia St, I’m only guessing because there’s a pole and it looks somewhat freshly paved, the stop placement doesn’t make much sense unless the Marine Dr upgrades are going to heavily affect the 3 and 100.

Looks like the stop is now in service.

not listed on this week's service changes:

Due to the ongoing construction of the Apple Flagship Store along Georgia Street, the following change is in effect now and into the next sheet:

240/241/246/247/N24 call at stop 54445 behind the West Van stop in front of the Bay

257 calls at nearside Seymour at Georgia at a new stop.

37 minutes ago, Express691 said:

not listed on this week's service changes:

Due to the ongoing construction of the Apple Flagship Store along Georgia Street, the following change is in effect now and into the next sheet:

240/241/246/247/N24 call at stop 54445 behind the West Van stop in front of the Bay

257 calls at nearside Seymour at Georgia at a new stop.

Why not just have all the North Shore routes use one WB stop like the EB stop?

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

Why not just have all the North Shore routes use one WB stop like the EB stop?

Because (in the pre-covid times at least) Georgia/Granville WB is one of the busiest bus stops for north shore service, with transfers from N-S routes on Granville, the Canada Line and the Expo Line.  The volume of people using the stop would block the sidewalk if all routes used the same stop.  And, with all the different routes serving one stop, there would be conflict and overlap for people trying to board the buses since it would be impossible to queue for each route separately.  In fact, the 257 used the share the stop with the other West Vancouver buses, but was given its own stop a few years ago so that people trying to get the 250 didn't have to fight past people with suitcases lined up for the ferry. 

The EB stop, by contrast, is almost all unloading which is faster than loading, and doesn't require as much sidewalk real estate since people disperse as soon as they get off the bus.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Marriott said:

In fact, the 257 used the share the stop with the other West Vancouver buses, but was given its own stop a few years ago so that people trying to get the 250 didn't have to fight past people with suitcases lined up for the ferry. 

Not sure if this was one of the causes but I believe another issue was the 257 being a pick-up only service heading westbound which caused confusion for people wanting the 250. I remember the numerous times WVMT drivers wouldnt allow people to exit the 257 along Georgia. People dont read the signs (*cough Balios cough*) which could (I guess) further the case for the 257 stop to be split from the rest of the West Van services.

Unsure if this is a bookout error or the result of lowering peak frequency but there were quite a few 503 Aldergrove trips using artics this evening.

In addition, the block # assignments switched on weekdays - artics normally have run 31-40ish but at least today they had numbers 1 thru 7 or whatever