Jump to content

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)


Recommended Posts

On 12/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/north-fraser-rapid-transit-line-vancouver-translink
 

Interesting idea but I’m not sure how much ridership potential there is for the route.

Back when I lived in Marpole, I would take the 100 all the time from Marpole Loop, since we used it to get to a lot of places inside Vancouver, since it was certainly easier to take the 100 to access the SkyTrain at 22nd St, rather than taking the 10 or 98, both of which went through Downtown. Note that this is from before the Canada Line opened in 2009. Even then, a straight line path is faster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, 8010 said:

No service changes/adjustments for the upcoming sheet?

531 conventional on weekends / 640 to HTC from what I hear

It could be completely wrong, don't quote me on this, but I've heard it popping around

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phillip said:

It should be out soon, they had the service changes up at the bus depot. 

They’re up on the website, looks like majority of the routes are back to their regular pre-pandemic schedules and some routes even have additional service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-and-maps/service-changes

For one, I consider the 335 change to be massive. Frequency can reach every 8.5 minutes during PM peak from Fleetwood Centre to Newton. 

That said, the inconsistency in the schedule is more noticeable now. All they have to do now is expand weekend service (+ adjust early AM/evening) and it qualifies for FTN service.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 to 9 AM and PM-peak frequency for the 22 drops to 10 minutes? It's currently 6-8 minutes, and when I've ridden during these times, they are sometimes uncomfortably full (close to standing-room only).

(And TransLink kept the "We’re adjusting the schedule in response to changing customer demand" doublespeak for "decreased frequency".)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

TransLink currently doesn't allow anyone to download any maps at all from their website. Except this one. The future is now, a future of nameless stations and no RapidBus! For clarification, the TransLink website currently states "Transit system maps are currently unavailable. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." None of the links on that page work. On the sidebar, the only functional link takes you to this, and is labelled "Fast and Frequent Transit Line Map."

Capture.PNG

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

TransLink currently doesn't allow anyone to download any maps at all from their website. Except this one. The future is now, a future of nameless stations and no RapidBus! For clarification, the TransLink website currently states "Transit system maps are currently unavailable. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." None of the links on that page work. On the sidebar, the only functional link takes you to this, and is labelled "Fast and Frequent Transit Line Map."

 

I'm pretty sure this is related to the December 2020 ransomware hacking...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Orcair said:

I'm pretty sure this is related to the December 2020 ransomware hacking...

I would guess as much... I just found the completely unlabeled SkyTrain map being hosted a pretty weird little thing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A hidden change: Select pure all-day 240 runs have been running with articulated buses. In the past they have been appearing during rush hour, but this sheet the are appearing on full-day runs Monday to Friday - 2 blocks to be exact.

Also spotted in the timetable for the 99 are very very late EB trips that come off an N17, leaving UBC roughly 3:45/4am 7-days a week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Express691 said:

A hidden change: Select pure all-day 240 runs have been running with articulated buses. In the past they have been appearing during rush hour, but this sheet the are appearing on full-day runs Monday to Friday - 2 blocks to be exact.

Also spotted in the timetable for the 99 are very very late EB trips that come off an N17, leaving UBC roughly 3:45/4am 7-days a week.

I spotted both of those 240 blocks today I think. Cool to see it in place, the ridership does warrant it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Interesting is that none current M-Line stations are what they be before.

I would say that's a bit of a stretch of a definition. This isn't a long gap in service developments like Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Expo Line. Most of the stations along the "Core" of the Millennium Line from then-Commercial Drive to Sapperton were part of the original construction project (minus Lake City Way). In the end, of the original project, nine stations are still served by the Millennium Line, eight have been added (including VCC, Lake City Way, and Evergreen Extension), and only two have been eliminated if you don't count the shared fifteen shared Expo stations. The evolution of the Millennium Line into a completely (well, almost) separate rapid transit line from the Expo Line is kind of like a bird flying out of the nest... originally the entire SkyTrain system was a truncated one-line route, until the Canada Line, and I would argue that the Milennium Line didn't truly become its own separate line until 2016 with the opening of the Evergreen Extension and the reconfiguration of services. 

The Millennium Line is still in some ways a glorified truncation of the Expo Line, considering the insane amount of traffic at Commercial-Broadway, so its extension on the Broadway Subway will allow it to, for the first time, become (again, this is just my opinion) a line that isn't just there to serve one single other line, but is there to be part of a core network of rapid transit lines. Once passengers can choose how they get downtown from the Millennium Line - whether it's by Expo or Canada line - its purpose will change quite a bit... as will the inner reaches of the Canada Line. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I would say that's a bit of a stretch of a definition. This isn't a long gap in service developments like Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Expo Line. Most of the stations along the "Core" of the Millennium Line from then-Commercial Drive to Sapperton were part of the original construction project (minus Lake City Way). In the end, of the original project, nine stations are still served by the Millennium Line, eight have been added (including VCC, Lake City Way, and Evergreen Extension), and only two have been eliminated if you don't count the shared fifteen shared Expo stations. The evolution of the Millennium Line into a completely (well, almost) separate rapid transit line from the Expo Line is kind of like a bird flying out of the nest... originally the entire SkyTrain system was a truncated one-line route, until the Canada Line, and I would argue that the Milennium Line didn't truly become its own separate line until 2016 with the opening of the Evergreen Extension and the reconfiguration of services. 

The Millennium Line is still in some ways a glorified truncation of the Expo Line, considering the insane amount of traffic at Commercial-Broadway, so its extension on the Broadway Subway will allow it to, for the first time, become (again, this is just my opinion) a line that isn't just there to serve one single other line, but is there to be part of a core network of rapid transit lines. Once passengers can choose how they get downtown from the Millennium Line - whether it's by Expo or Canada line - its purpose will change quite a bit... as will the inner reaches of the Canada Line. 

Yes, a bit stretched. Should've said "if you count the Expo Line stations, then the M-Line had seventeen eliminated stations".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, Pepper said:

Is there a repository of past schedules or schedule books online anywhere accessible to the public?

I have some on my computer... but it's almost 10000 files and 1gb in size...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nname said:

I have some on my computer... but it's almost 10000 files and 1gb in size...

I would be very glad to take a peek at those... If only someone had the same kind of archive for BC Transit schedules. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...