Jump to content

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, InfiNorth said:

 

At this point, is there any likelihood at all that we will see a SkyTrain to Langley Centre before 2030? I understand that the Fleetwood extension is pretty much ready to start proper planning, but I thought extension out to Langley was on perma-backburner. 

The provincial government will probably take over the full Langley extension like their platform promised prior to the election. They also expressed interest in the UBC extension but said they want to wait for the Mayors Council to decide on the Phase 3 plan, but I'm pretty sure that would dilute the RapidBus brand along Broadway/W 10th Ave, assuming the extension opens by 2030.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two weeks sure went by fast...

Well, transit isn't operated to suit your personal tastes, so how about you stop acting like it is and cease whining and derailing threads every time you have some imagined complaint.  

For everyone worrying about whether BTC will be able to handle the 41st Ave B-Line; keep in mind that BTC currently runs the 43, which will be replaced by the B-Line.  Given that the 43 already runs v

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, 8010 said:

The provincial government will probably take over the full Langley extension like their platform promised prior to the election. They also expressed interest in the UBC extension but said they want to wait for the Mayors Council to decide on the Phase 3 plan, but I'm pretty sure that would dilute the RapidBus brand along Broadway/W 10th Ave, assuming the extension opens by 2030.

I thought that was the reason for leaving the 99B - that an eventual extension was proposed. Are there plans in the works to turn the 99B into a RapidBus when the Broadway Subway is opened?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Looks like the R6 Scott Road RapidBus got pushed back to 2023:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/scott-road-rapidbus-r6-delta-surrey-translink

I think the main complaint whenever consultation starts is that it isn't stopping at Scottsdale Exchange.

A close second is that there is no stop at the main campus of KPU - Surrey Campus. I'm sure the school's student society will fight very VERY hard to have a stop at the campus.

Regarding Scottsdale though: Scottsdale and Newton are really undergoing serious under-capacity problems especially since the last rounds of 319 increases. Scottsdale has gotten a load more buses since becoming the short-turn terminus again for the 319.
 

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Gonna let this out the bag:

Lynn Valley is receiving bay designations, however to a bit of confusion (but as this is being typed up, the posting on the alerts page was done half an hour ago)

Was just hinted to some route nomenclature discrepancies:

The 228 terminates at the same area as the 210 except there's no difference between the names. Technically the 228 should also be named to Upper Lynn Valley if it meets up with the 209/210 in the same general vicinity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

I thought that was the reason for leaving the 99B - that an eventual extension was proposed. Are there plans in the works to turn the 99B into a RapidBus when the Broadway Subway is opened?

From what I've heard, the B-Line will just be truncated to Arbutus Station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zortan said:

From what I've heard, the B-Line will just be truncated to Arbutus Station.

The DH vancouver article on the R6 suggests otherwise:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/scott-road-rapidbus-r6-delta-surrey-translink
 

Quote

In 2025, coinciding with the opening of the Millennium Line Broadway Extension, the existing 99 B-Line is expected to be rebranded as a RapidBus, with the route truncated between UBC and the new Arbutus Station bus exchange.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Express691 said:

The DH vancouver article on the R6 suggests otherwise:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/scott-road-rapidbus-r6-delta-surrey-translink
 

 

Interesting. I think it was a Daily Hive article about the Broadway station names that stated that they'd just keep the B-Line. Not sure what the plan is now, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I'm personally hoping for a B-Line since it would probably indicate the possibility of the UBC subway in the near-ish future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SkyTrain said:

Chitter-chatter on the local Discord chat reveals that the 640 will be moving out of STC. Where it's moving to is TBD

Current rumours state that it will be Hamilton. Due to its proximity to Scott Road. Though nothing will be confirmed until the winter sheet in December. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Express691 said:

A close second is that there is no stop at the main campus of KPU - Surrey Campus. I'm sure the school's student society will fight very VERY hard to have a stop at the campus.

Regarding Scottsdale though: Scottsdale and Newton are really undergoing serious under-capacity problems especially since the last rounds of 319 increases. Scottsdale has gotten a load more buses since becoming the short-turn terminus again for the 319.

I think if both stops for the R6 are located on the west side of 128th it should be okay-ish. I don’t know the area that well so I can’t remember if there’s a crosswalk west of 128th but I don’t think there is.

In regards to Scottsdale and Newton, I assume there will be more space when the 319’s service is reduced during the R6’s implementation, unless they want to move those buses over to other routes that terminate at Scottsdale or Newton. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s when we see the 323 become an FTN route using some of the 319’s resources.

Are they still going to do the on-street exchange for Newton even though the LRT was cancelled?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Express691 said:

The 228 terminates at the same area as the 210 except there's no difference between the names. Technically the 228 should also be named to Upper Lynn Valley if it meets up with the 209/210 in the same general vicinity.

Maybe the "Lynn Valley" for the 228 refers to Lynn Valley Road? (If treated to the stacked signage on the bus, it could read 228 Lynn Valley Rd / to Dempsey.)

I'm not too familiar with North Shore geography, but could the "Upper Lynn Valley" part of the 209/210 refer to the route north of Dempsey?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I think if both stops for the R6 are located on the west side of 128th it should be okay-ish. I don’t know the area that well so I can’t remember if there’s a crosswalk west of 128th but I don’t think there is.

In regards to Scottsdale and Newton, I assume there will be more space when the 319’s service is reduced during the R6’s implementation, unless they want to move those buses over to other routes that terminate at Scottsdale or Newton. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s when we see the 323 become an FTN route using some of the 319’s resources.

I actually think a nearside stop would work. 

That said, there is a high load of passengers at KPU during class changeover. Unlike other universities where they mostly align with peak hours, KPU changes classes at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, and 7pm: Fairly high turnover of students at these times.

My default stop for getting on is 126th as a KPU student. Rarely see people walking to 128th or 124th. 

I will say that one reason they might just want the stop at 128th is because PMSS is also right at 128th - just have the high turnover for students at one stop. Also, I bet you'll still get a decent frequency with 301/319. Maybe just not when you have 200 student transit users exiting/entering at once. I actually found it hilarious this one time the entire bus (319) got off at 126th (this was coming from Newton).

The closest thing I can compare it to is like having the 222 stop at Sanderson Way or Canada Way instead of Goard. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickie22 said:

Maybe the "Lynn Valley" for the 228 refers to Lynn Valley Road? (If treated to the stacked signage on the bus, it could read 228 Lynn Valley Rd / to Dempsey.)

I'm not too familiar with North Shore geography, but could the "Upper Lynn Valley" part of the 209/210 refer to the route north of Dempsey?

IMO they should change the 228 from “Lynn Valley” to “Lynn Creek” and all the buses that terminate at Lynn Valley Centre should be changed to “Lynn Valley Ctr” like the 227.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today marks a special anniversary for West Coast Express. It was 25 years ago today Nov 1 1995 that the first West Coast Express Train started. Train 5 West was diverted to Pacific Central Station for the start of service ceremonies for West Coast Express. Premier then Glen Clark was on hand to welcome train 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Express691 said:

So we have the west coast express instead of this (mundane) plan!
1980386496_buzzer(2).thumb.PNG.af93071b888e57142d5e071f2a32f3ad.PNG

Looking through the expansion plans from the late 80s and early 90s (and even late 70s) shows a lot of planning that was dumped and then implemented forty years later. The exact route of the Canada line (along Cambie with branches to Richmond and the airport) was proposed with the original rapid transit studies, as was the Evergreen Extension - yes, when the original SkyTrain was built, the UTA already recognized the demand for rapid transit out to Port Moody, Surrey, and Richmond. As usual, only a tiny fraction of what was recommended was put into service. 

Fun fact, I don't know if you recall from about eight months ago (already posted this), but I was digging through old BC Transit material from the 90s, the original B-Line system was proposed to be called RapidBus, have a green colour screen, and have big map-posts like what we have now. Thirty years late. After a rebranding that they ultimately decided to ditch.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

240 will still serve the stops around the Library. However since it became FTN in April one concern would be space.

There are alternative stops where people can transfer to a SB 240: namely WB Lynn Valley Road at Fromme when coming in from 229/228.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain to me why the 100 still has the hourly via Trapp trips that serve an area that typically sees no boardings or alightings and makes the overall trip slower for pretty much everyone due to the detour and slower operating speeds along Willard Street? IMO that area doesn’t need any service at all as there’s not even enough demand to warrant a 120-minute shuttle service and the stops along Willard Street are dreadful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Can someone explain to me why the 100 still has the hourly via Trapp trips that serve an area that typically sees no boardings or alightings and makes the overall trip slower for pretty much everyone due to the detour and slower operating speeds along Willard Street? IMO that area doesn’t need any service at all as there’s not even enough demand to warrant a 120-minute shuttle service and the stops along Willard Street are dreadful.

There are people who use the stops, I've seen people get on and off along Willard. I'd personally say it's useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Express691 said:

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2020/11/burnaby-mountain-gondola-engagement-results-show-85-of-respondents-support-the-project/ 

SFU Gondola engagement results are out.

We have a thread on here about the gondola but the last post was made in 2018... 

 

I just skimmed through the report, it doesn’t look like it says which route was strongly favoured and which route was strongly opposed, but my assumption is the direct route from Production is the preferred route and the Lake City route is the opposed route, which wouldn’t be surprising.

2 hours ago, Zortan said:

There are people who use the stops, I've seen people get on and off along Willard. I'd personally say it's useful.

I think the most people I’ve seen use the stops along Willard was 2, but usually if I end up on a Trapp trip no one is getting on or off from either direction. Now obviously my experiences doesn’t exactly reflect the ridership figures for that portion of the route but IIRC according to the 2019 TSPR the average daily boardings/alightings along Willard sat at 0.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...