Jump to content
cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Screw that.  Seabus is one of the best things that Translink has going for it.  People need to learn to slow down, stop being in such a rush and just enjoy a 15 minute trip across the water.

I'll add that turning the SeaBus path into a SkyTrain route won't shave much time off a seabus crossing... Although both options are really good failsafes when either road bridge experiences full closures in both directions. I do agree - the benefits gained from doing that are minimal.

And to think that we *just* bought another SeaBus (Chinook)...

Someone else brought up another point: the maximum speed of SkyTrain will help it achieve similar times as the SeaBus while serving a selection of destinations along the way, all while still achieving 15 (20?) minutes between Lonsdale and Waterfront (whatever path that might be. It may be a longer time, but keep in mind that riders are often waiting 12-15 minutes for the ferry to arrive.)

Another big question we don't have the answer to is: To what extent has the R2 showcased the demand for E-W travel on the North Shore?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Express691 said:

I'll add that turning the SeaBus path into a SkyTrain route won't shave much time off a seabus crossing... Although both options are really good failsafes when either road bridge experiences full closures in both directions. I do agree - the benefits gained from doing that are minimal.

And to think that we *just* bought another SeaBus (Chinook)...

Someone else brought up another point: the maximum speed of SkyTrain will help it achieve similar times as the SeaBus while serving a selection of destinations along the way, all while still achieving 15 (20?) minutes between Lonsdale and Waterfront (whatever path that might be. It may be a longer time, but keep in mind that riders are often waiting 12-15 minutes for the ferry to arrive.)

Another big question we don't have the answer to is: To what extent has the R2 showcased the demand for E-W travel on the North Shore?

 

I think I would support a SkyTrain line along the SeaBus route if there was an opportunity to further extend that line to Phibbs or Lynn Valley from Lonsdale, assuming that line was already travelling to Park Royal on opening day. SkyTrain also has more capacity compared to SeaBus, which makes it a better choice in the long-term should SeaBus ridership increase to the point that the ferry service is at-capacity during peak times.

A Canada Line extension doesn't seem like a very feasible option, plus the existing line will probably be at-capacity during peak times before 2050 unless they rebuild the entire line to use at least 3-car trains (an actual middle car, not the small c-car that they currently have provisioned), but I would prefer to see 4-car trains used if they are serious about extending the line North of Waterfront or South of Brighouse. I'll also add that adding a spur down Burrard Street is pointless when the existing line already travels 4 blocks East of Burrard Street.

IMO option 5B should be extended to Metrotown to provide a direct connection to the Expo Line.

Once the Langley Extension is complete, I think they should leave the Expo Line alone and stop trying to extend it everywhere.

I think it's a bit of a no-brainer that between options 2A and 3A, option 2A is the best option due to the connections at Park Royal and Lions Gate Village.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Final names of the stations for the Broadway Extension:

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2020/09/broadway-subway-station-name-to-feature-emily-carr/

Quote

The final names of the Broadway Subway Project stations are:

Great Northern Way – Emily Carr
Mount Pleasant
Broadway – City Hall
Oak – VGH
South Granville
Arbutus

These are fine except the first station. There is a balance between placemaking and practicality, and this will be annoying to type out during delays, making signage for construction, and what else...

Also, another bout of inconsistency: There is a theme of stations have hyphenations that involve major universities. VCC-Clark. Production Way-University. Lafarge Lake-Douglas. Why wasn't SFU added to Surrey Central? Douglas at New West Station? KPU near Lansdowne? 

Hyphenation in general is good when the names are short. Even buses now just sign "Brighouse station" because the name is too long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Express691 said:

These are fine except the first station. There is a balance between placemaking and practicality, and this will be annoying to type out during delays, making signage for construction, and what else...

Also, another bout of inconsistency: There is a theme of stations have hyphenations that involve major universities. VCC-Clark. Production Way-University. Lafarge Lake-Douglas. Why wasn't SFU added to Surrey Central? Douglas at New West Station? KPU near Lansdowne?

Agreed. Great Norther Way - Emily Carr is far too long.

As for stations like Surrey Central? I think it’s quite obvious why those stations don’t have the university name attached, and that is because they aren’t the main campuses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Express691 said:

These are fine except the first station. There is a balance between placemaking and practicality, and this will be annoying to type out during delays, making signage for construction, and what else...

Also, another bout of inconsistency: There is a theme of stations have hyphenations that involve major universities. VCC-Clark. Production Way-University. Lafarge Lake-Douglas. Why wasn't SFU added to Surrey Central? Douglas at New West Station? KPU near Lansdowne? 

Hyphenation in general is good when the names are short. Even buses now just sign "Brighouse station" because the name is too long

I think that buses and signs etc. could just say Great Northern Way Station or something shorter like that, similar to how Brighouse is abbreviated the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Zortan said:

I think that buses and signs etc. could just say Great Northern Way Station or something shorter like that, similar to how Brighouse is abbreviated the way it is.

This station probably won’t be a terminus for any bus routes, so I don’t think that’s a concern.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

Pick one, not both. Great Northern Way Station OR Emily Carr (University?)Station both work.

 

Agreed. I'd lean towards Emily Carr, as it's an easier and shorter name for people to remember. It would also have the benefit of being "that one named a after a woman" when people don't know where they're going and can't remember what station they are getting off at. Added bonus is that is will memorialize one of the few historic figures in Canada who isn't becoming more and more controversial as time goes on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

Agreed. I'd lean towards Emily Carr, as it's an easier and shorter name for people to remember. It would also have the benefit of being "that one named a after a woman" when people don't know where they're going and can't remember what station they are getting off at. Added bonus is that is will memorialize one of the few historic figures in Canada who isn't becoming more and more controversial as time goes on. 

"Emily Carr" was in my headcanon as the name for this station, more to honour the artist herself, and indirectly the institution attached to the station. (The rest of my preferred station names: Main Street-Mount Pleasant, Cambie-City Hall, Fairview-VGH, South Granville, Arbutus.)

Imagine what would happen when the line is extended west of Arbutus – would "Macdonald" even be considered as a station name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, rickie22 said:

"Emily Carr" was in my headcanon as the name for this station, more to honour the artist herself, and indirectly the institution attached to the station. (The rest of my preferred station names: Main Street-Mount Pleasant, Cambie-City Hall, Fairview-VGH, South Granville, Arbutus.)

Imagine what would happen when the line is extended west of Arbutus – would "Macdonald" even be considered as a station name?

Well the hope is for it to go west of Arbutus eventually (who knows if / when that'll happen tho LOL), so I guess they'll have a fun time figuring that one out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Agreed. I'd lean towards Emily Carr, as it's an easier and shorter name for people to remember. It would also have the benefit of being "that one named a after a woman" when people don't know where they're going and can't remember what station they are getting off at. Added bonus is that is will memorialize one of the few historic figures in Canada who isn't becoming more and more controversial as time goes on. 

 

2 hours ago, rickie22 said:

"Emily Carr" was in my headcanon as the name for this station, more to honour the artist herself, and indirectly the institution attached to the station. (The rest of my preferred station names: Main Street-Mount Pleasant, Cambie-City Hall, Fairview-VGH, South Granville, Arbutus.)


Noooo thank you. That’s the problem with going ‘Emily Carr Station’

I’ve realized that if you leave off University, as well as GNW, people are going to think the station is named after her, not the school, which will be a problem down the road. People will start wanting more stations named after historical figures, and then that will bring with it the shitstorm that is arguing about which historical figure passes the “inclusivity and diversity nonsense that seems to come with any historical figure at any mention of the name. Not to mention the fact that a “David Suzuki Station” isn’t helpful in knowing what street that station serves. 
 

Either ‘Great Northern Way Station’ or ‘Emily Carr University Station’

anything else is too long, or not descriptive enough

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Noooo thank you. That’s the problem with going ‘Emily Carr Station’

I’ve realized that if you leave off University, as well as GNW, people are going to think the station is named after her, not the school, which will be a problem down the road. People will start wanting more stations named after historical figures, and then that will bring with it the shitstorm that is arguing about which historical figure passes the “inclusivity and diversity nonsense that seems to come with any historical figure at any mention of the name. Not to mention the fact that a “David Suzuki Station” isn’t helpful in knowing what street that station serves. 

I don't think this is ever going to be an issue

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

And the 352?

Routes like the 352, 256 and 222 (or really all the RapidBuses if you wanna be picky LOL) all say a street name and destination, but they're not the same idea, as they aren't the stacked sign and don't always display the same street etc. in both directions (as is the case on the 352 and 256)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express691 said:

503 also follows the trend of named express routes: "Fraser Highway Express" except without the word "to" in the destination signs.

I prefer this one on 503, at least it's better with the bigger font~~

Without the word "to" would be more practical for my opinion, at least we know the final destination and then via the major roadway~~

Talking back to 352, they should retain 352 Bridgeport Station would be better, just change the one on 352 Ocean Park / White Rock Centre would be perfect~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've completed some work over at Fraser Highway at Green Timbers. There are the red lanes at WB 148th and EB 140th. In addition, Fraser/96th (EB/WB Fraser) had its lanes completely reconfigured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...