cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

3 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Is cmbc using RB units on the nightbus routes? 096 units turned into n19, what about R1 into n19? 

Yes

6 hours ago, ThomasW97 said:

Any idea or guesses which trolley will run the first 41 tomorrow? :)

Fine line detail: there arent enough trolley spares until the 9 is dieselized for Broadway Subway Construction 

50 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Fine line detail: there arent enough trolley spares until the 9 is dieselized for Broadway Subway Construction 

We can probably expect to see some trolleys on the 41 on weekends when there's more spares available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

I wonder whether they could put trolleys on the 41 from as early as the April sheet? It's only a 15 minute frequency and I doubt they need more than 10 buses for the service. The 9's trolley allocation is reduced when the extended runs to UBC are withdrawn after UBC's winter session ends. That and other minor  changes might free up 10 trolleys. Anyone know?

In regards to the trolleys on the 41, I could have told you that you'll still see a lot of diesels on that route for the time being, but it wasn't worth arguing with some of you 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mac Write said:

Why are the next bus displays not illuminated. That's going to create allot off complaints.

They're backlit and really easy to see

IMG_20200107_210028151.jpg

1 hour ago, DarkKeyo said:

Now I'm curious how well they can be seen on a sunny day. I can barely read some of the older horizon signs on the LFRs when it's bright out.

Sure, if you're standing right beside them 🤣

The backlit signs are actually much better than I expected them to be. They are certainly better than the ones on Main St, and I hope we can see more of them around the system. I also like that buses which have not yet departed the terminus are listed with their scheduled times, rather than minute estimations. 

On 41st, the stops seem to have been adjusted to separate the R4 stops from other buses as much as possible. This is probably good for the R4, but it puts the local 41 stops quite far from the intersection in some cases (i.e. WB Victoria), and it also makes the "next bus" signs less helpful than they could be.

Not all of the Rapidbus posts are up yet on the R4--a couple stops still have only T-ID signs. Also, a large percentage of the buses are still wrapped up (or not yet painted green). 

As per transit alerts:

EB Georgia at Burrard is cancelled.

257 EB added stop at Georgia/Bute Street as a result.

I think it helps to remove one stop and funnel skytrain riders to Granville Street instead. However, I question the decision to add Bute street - maybe it's a short walk away from Robson Street?

All effective January 13, but the stop is currently closed for construction (which I presume means removing the stop altogether)

Word is on the street that this is all due to Georgia Street Water Main replacement

I was riding the R4 RapidBus today to give it a try and got to thinking about the probably poorly named Marine Drive RapidBus service on the North Shore (since Marine is an overly used arterial road name in Metro Vancouver). 

Notwithstanding the addition of articulated buses, doesn't the RapidBus addition here actual degrade service? Now a transfer will be required if traveling across the North Shore to Cap U, which is a pretty well used current-service. Frequencies stay the same. The route isn't rapid, I'm assuming they're cutting some stops - but there isn't great local service in some of those areas.

I'm of course making the perhaps incorrect assumption that the 239 is cut? 

1 minute ago, Dane said:

I was riding the R4 RapidBus today to give it a try and got to thinking about the probably poorly named Marine Drive RapidBus service on the North Shore (since Marine is an overly used arterial road name in Metro Vancouver). 

Notwithstanding the addition of articulated buses, doesn't the RapidBus addition here actual degrade service? Now a transfer will be required if traveling across the North Shore to Cap U, which is a pretty well used current-service. Frequencies stay the same. The route isn't rapid, I'm assuming they're cutting some stops - but there isn't great local service in some of those areas.

The 239 is going to be cut, but the 240 and 255 will be revised to maintain coverage for existing 239 stops. The 240 will be more frequent and extended to Lynn Valley, whereas the 255 will be rerouted to West 3rd Street and Keith Road (between Lonsdale and Capilano University).

For more information, please refer to pages 22-28 of the following document...

A5BA1FDE764A437F96F4C8D549522B3A.ashx

Do you mind trying to post the doc or link again? I tried Googling it without luck. 

Thanks for the link. 

While I totally concur that this is a net gain, it seems like local service on the North Vancouver(s) side is still taking a disproportionate hit. The 240 doesn't link to usual hubs, and the 255 route looks neat on their map but that's like almost a ten minute jog it does around the Lonsdale area. I am pretty confident that will get straightened out in a few years, that's like small town Transit routing (we would totally do that here in Victoria 😂). 

Wonder if the 255 will get pulled from West Vancouver in the middle term future given it's continued evolution into a North Vancouver focused route. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dane said:

13 hours ago, Dane said:

Thanks for the link. 

While I totally concur that this is a net gain, it seems like local service on the North Vancouver(s) side is still taking a disproportionate hit. The 240 doesn't link to usual hubs, and the 255 route looks neat on their map but that's like almost a ten minute jog it does around the Lonsdale area. I am pretty confident that will get straightened out in a few years, that's like small town Transit routing (we would totally do that here in Victoria 😂). 

Wonder if the 255 will get pulled from West Vancouver in the middle term future given it's continued evolution into a North Vancouver focused route. 

The R2 Rapidbus has more frequent service during peak hours, and the same service off-peak, as the current 239. The path it takes through Lonsdale is more direct and should make it faster end-to-end. There will be fewer stops, most of which are covered by other routes, but I've always noticed a pretty evenly distributed use of the stops on the 239 east of Lonsdale. (I don't usually go west of Lonsdale). 

Capilano students will lose a direct trip across the North Shore to Capilano. However, at Phibbs Exchange, the same number of people are: already on the 239 heading to Cap U, transferring from the 28 (or on it, during peak periods), transferring from the 130 (or on it, during peak periods), or transferring from the 210/211. And when the R2 is implemented, they will almost certainly implement the 222 Express from Burnaby and the 245 replacing the Capilano part of the 239, which means that everyone going to Capilano and Lynnmour will have to transfer at Phibbs Exchange, instead of just three quarters of them. If they ever rebuild it properly that will work, but I'm expecting it to be a crowded mess of queues this spring. 

The 240 extension replacing the part of the 255 that went from Central Lonsdale to Lynn Valley is an improvement, as buses will run every 15 min or so instead of every 30 min. It doesn't jog around the Lonsdale area, it goes through the centre of it. The Seabus terminal isn't the only busy node, 3 Ave/Lonsdale Ave and Central Lonsdale/Lions Gate hospital are also busy. The 240 is intended to become a Rapidbus in Phase 3. There isn't anything replacing the eastern half of the 255 from Lynn Valley to Capilano, so anyone doing that (a moderate but not large amount of people, because it's cheaper for students to live in Lynn Valley than the rest of the North Shore) will now have to transfer. 

Service should be slightly better. But there will be about the same amount of delays and crowding, because what really decides service on the North Shore is how busy the north sides of the Lions Gate and Ironworkers bridges get. The 239 and 255 are frequently delayed just from going through those areas, and terminating the 239 at Phibbs and running shuttle buses to Capilano happens around 2 out of every 5 weekdays. Usually because of getting stuck behind cars trying to get onto the bridges. It's amazing how much time I've had to study travel patterns in that area while being stuck on the bus. There's talk about a Skytrain tunnel under Burrard Inlet, but it would probably be more useful to have a Skytrain where the R2 runs, because the Seabus is much more reliable than any of the East West roads. 

• Like 2

My one problem with the 245's routing is that it diverts to the 239's current Cap-U terminus before going to Cap-U Exchange, this seems like a waste of time and is gonna increase travel times for a lot of people. I don't go to Cap-U so I could be wrong.

There's talk about a Skytrain tunnel under Burrard Inlet, but it would probably be more useful to have a Skytrain where the R2 runs, because the Seabus is much more reliable than any of the East West roads. 

We should've had more SkyTrain/rapid transit coverage around the region years ago, but now TransLink has the tedious job of playing catchup mode with the funding they have.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 8010 said:

We should've had more SkyTrain/rapid transit coverage around the region years ago, but now TransLink has the tedious job of playing catchup mode with the funding they have.

Same can be said with Edmonton and it's LRT.  Plus now, with increased development and population in the areas of planned LRT / Streetcar, all the digging etc. is ending up costing more in both terms of money and inconvenience. Had they done it all years ago it would have been a breeze.

• Like 1

Just checking the 41st requires 6 buses right now. Can't understand why trolley's can't be used today as there is a surplus of trolleys not required for today being a Saturday?

6 hours ago, 8010 said:

My one problem with the 245's routing is that it diverts to the 239's current Cap-U terminus before going to Cap-U Exchange, this seems like a waste of time and is gonna increase travel times for a lot of people. I don't go to Cap-U so I could be wrong.

More people use the 239's terminus than the upper loop, but that's partly because the 239 is busier than the 255. Both need service though because they each serve half of the campus and there are a lot of stairs.