cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

23 hours ago, 8010 said:

I read that the Millennium Line will be using 4-car trains during snowfall, does this mean they're pulling trains from the Expo Line or are they coupling the Mark 2s running on the M Line and reducing frequency?

20 hours ago, maege said:

Coupling Mark II's, reduced frequency, but same overall capacity. This allows for fewer attendants being required to maintain overall capacity.

What they did last year was take a few trains (Mix of MK IIIs and MK IIs) from the Expo Line and coupled the Millenium sets. During rush hour, frequency was reduced to somewhere between 6-8 minutes on the Millenium.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, 8010 said:

But why?

Also, is the 804 cancelled now or is it just the PM trip?

I assume that the diesel artics on the N17 are ceasing at 3 a.m. because they are required for early runs on Rapid Bus routes. Anyone know if this will be the R5? By that time the passenger loads can be met by a 40ft trolley. 

I wonder what the initial runs out from VTC will be. 41st, Dunbar & W 10th? Or up Granville to Downtown before running in service to UBC?

Not only should the N17 be renumbered N14, but I still don't understand why it cannot be operated by articulated trolleys for example saving a few 3s, 8s and 20s having to dead head from downtown to VTC.

Possible objections like the precise turnaround downtown are pretty trivial. And some night work would be shifted back to VTC, but what's so difficult about that?

51 minutes ago, martin607 said:

Not only should the N17 be renumbered N14, but I still don't understand why it cannot be operated by articulated trolleys for example saving a few 3s, 8s and 20s having to dead head from downtown to VTC.

Possible objections like the precise turnaround downtown are pretty trivial. And some night work would be shifted back to VTC, but what's so difficult about that?

If possible, they could install trolley wires on Georgia Street WB between Seymour Street and Howe Street and have artic trolleys use the West Van Blue Bus stop on Georgia @ Granville.

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

If possible, they could install trolley wires on Georgia Street WB between Seymour Street and Howe Street and have artic trolleys use the West Van Blue Bus stop on Georgia @ Granville.

They could and it wouldn't cost very much. It's only two blocks of one way wire and it wouldn't require any expensive substation or electric feeder cable.

But is that really necessary? Don't forget decades ago a lot of the night service was run by trolleybuses and the downtown meeting point was slightly different. The current downtown routing was chosen on the basis of diesel operation but it doesn't have to be set in stone.

6 minutes ago, martin607 said:

They could and it wouldn't cost very much. It's only two blocks of one way wire and it wouldn't require any expensive substation or electric feeder cable.

But is that really necessary? Don't forget decades ago a lot of the night service was run by trolleybuses and the downtown meeting point was slightly different. The current downtown routing was chosen on the basis of diesel operation but it doesn't have to be set in stone.

If they could get buses to operate on Granville Street 24-7 there could be some night trolley service without the cost of additional infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

CUPE 7000 has issued BCRTC a 72 hour strike notice as of Friday December 6th. Job action begins on Monday the 9th at 10:33 am. 

CUPE 7000 Will make an announcement at 11am this morning on what job if any that will take place. Both parties are still at the table.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dover5949 said:

CUPE 7000 Will make an announcement at 11am this morning on what job if any that will take place. Both parties are still at the table.

Full shutdown starting Tuesday morning for 3 days

8 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Full shutdown Tuesday morning

If a deal is NOT reached by Tuesday at 5am a full shut down will take place until Friday. Again if a last minute deal can be reached by both parties the strike will be called off. Both sides are still at the table.

1 minute ago, dover5949 said:

If a deal is NOT reached by Tuesday at 5am a full shut down will take place until Friday. Again if a last minute deal can be reached by both parties the strike will be called off.

Yes, I wasn't specific enough.  

17 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Yes, I wasn't specific enough.  

If the shutdown proceeds, are we gunna see an increase in bus service across the region and temporary routes that follow the skytrain line?

2 hours ago, cleowin said:

If the shutdown proceeds, are we gunna see an increase in bus service across the region and temporary routes that follow the skytrain line?

According to a statement released by BCRTC, they are “working with” CMBC to provide additional service on existing routes. 

https://twitter.com/TransLink/status/1203418382223257600?s=20

Before any of you say anything about temporary bus bridges, they will not happen as TransLink does not have the buses for that and they can’t pull them off routes that are going to see increases themselves, as well cause it goes against Labour Laws.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Before any of you say anything about temporary bus bridges, they will not happen as TransLink does not have the buses for that and they can’t pull them off routes that are going to see increases themselves, as well cause it goes against Labour Laws.

Not sure if it goes against any laws. As long as the drivers don’t cross any picket lines, they may be able to use buses. Not 100% on that tho, but am quite curious.

The Surrey Langley SkyTrain project mentions 3 bus exchanges as part of the project but I can only find two mentioned, Langley Centre and Willowbrook. Where's the third one?

36 minutes ago, 8010 said:

The Surrey Langley SkyTrain project mentions 3 bus exchanges as part of the project but I can only find two mentioned, Langley Centre and Willowbrook. Where's the third one?

Fleetwood or King George. 

16 hours ago, 9924 said:

Not sure if it goes against any laws. As long as the drivers don’t cross any picket lines, they may be able to use buses. Not 100% on that tho, but am quite curious.

Providing a direct bus bridge could be considered crossing the picket line as the bus bridge would be providing the exact service that is on strike.  The bus bridge for seabus was a bit different as it was all within the same Union and local 2200 (maintenance & seabus) was completely fine with local 111 (operators) doing the bus bridge providing it was not on OT.

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

Providing a direct bus bridge could be considered crossing the picket line as the bus bridge would be providing the exact service that is on strike.  The bus bridge for seabus was a bit different as it was all within the same Union and local 2200 (maintenance & seabus) was completely fine with local 111 (operators) doing the bus bridge providing it was not on OT.

Maybe, maybe not.  Union ethics aside, if it's a question of law, I'd be interested to read the actual legal definition.

Kind of like CN trucks driving containers that were scheduled to go on to the trains during their recent strike.

Wouldn't running extra buses be regarded as strike-breaking? I don't know what the law is, but AFAIK unions wouldn't want to permit activity that undermines strike action by another union.  That's apart from the question of where to get the additional buses and drivers that would be needed.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, martin607 said:

Wouldn't running extra buses be regarded as strike-breaking? I don't know what the law is, but AFAIK unions wouldn't want to permit activity that undermines strike action by another union.  That's apart from the question of where to get the additional buses and drivers that would be needed.

The 555 had a bunch of cancelled trips, so what they did was increase capacity. It still requires the same amount of drivers.

Might be a possibility for route 340 since that work is all separate.

No, not necessarily, neither would be implementing a bus bridge.  Every strike/situation is different.  A company has the legal right to do everything and anything, with the exception of hiring new staff, to cover their work/service.  Having said that, CUPE could ask Unifor not to take these extra shifts and the Unifor employees have the legal right not to work those extra shifts.  However, the Unifor workers will also have the legal right to work those shifts if they decide to.  Where it gets tricky though, is that if a Unifor member decides to work those shifts , despite the Union asking them not to, legally, Unifor could theoretically pull those workers Union Cards which could (again, in theory) cost them their job.

As for picket lines go, if CUPE decided to put one up in front and in the bus lane of the SkyTrain stations, such as Metrotown, then technically, buses could no longer use those stops under direction from Unifor , which would add to the strike effect.

I don't know what the law is, but AFAIK unions wouldn't want to permit activity that undermines strike action by another union.  

It's not the law, but you're right, generally unions will not participate in action that's contrary to job action of another Union. 

I bet had there been a SkyTrain bus bridge, and had no deal been reached after a couple days, the bus bridge would stop. 

• Like 2