cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

245 is in round 2 of transit network review along with the 222 so that makes sense

The consultation for the 222 and 245 suggested the network review changes would be implemented quite soon after the consultation wrapped up, early in the new year. I had guessed that the R2 would be delayed enough that these would end up happening at the same time. 

In October, Bays 1, 2, and 11 at Phibbs Exchange were resized and repaved. The shuttle routes 215 and 227 were moved to temporary bays on Oxford St. The reconstructed Bay 11 is very noticeably designed for an articulated bus, although it is still hosting the 232. There is currently construction on what looks like a new crosswalk on the east side of the exchange. 

I haven't seen the other R2 stops recently but the existing stops have been closed for construction a lot recently. As well as several stops on the 95. The stops on the eastern half of the 43 had concrete work done as of October, as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nname said:

Coquitlam Central Station

Rapid Bus R3 will use Bay 7... 159, 160 will move from Bay 7 to Bay 1; 171, 172 will move from Bay 1 to new Bay 13; 173, 174 will move from Bay 1 to new Bay 14.

Coq Central changes started Nov 4. 151/160 Kootenay Loop swapped bays as well. Is that change going to be reverted in January?

BCRTC strike vote will be happening today.

West Van Blue Bus is apparently negotiating with TransLink as well, judging by how negotiations with CMBC and BCRTC have broken off I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing a strike vote as well.

Apparently there are currently no plans to increase the Canada Line's capacity anytime soon once the 12 new trains enter service (assuming 12 additional trains will be running during peak periods). In my opinion this seems a bit short-sighted (much like the whole Canada Line project itself) as there are currently 18 trains running during peak periods and they are all packed during the peak, 25% increase in capacity might sound good and all, but those trains will be just a bit over half full by the time all 12 additional trains enter service and the peak frequency is increased. In about 5 years time the Canada Line will be right back to where it is right now in terms of crowding, and Capstan Station will just add to the crowding. Not that I'm against the station be built as I do think it's a necessary investment for that area. More faregates at most stations would probably go a long way to help improve customer circulation and alleviate some station crowding.

• Like 1

Also regarding the strike, why doesn't Unifor allow the workers to vote on whether or not they accept TransLink/CMBC's offer?

19 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Also regarding the strike, why doesn't Unifor allow the workers to vote on whether or not they accept TransLink/CMBC's offer?

Which offer are you talking about? Context is needed to answer that. 

9 minutes ago, Dane said:

Which offer are you talking about? Context is needed to answer that. 

The latest one I guess. It's definitely not the best but it's still better than what they have now. I support the strike but at the same time I gotta question if the strike is going to be worth the $60 picketing days for the workers.

Do you have a link? I do not see anything stating there was an offer, however, I am also not following all that closely. 

Generally unions get their mandate for how they manage deals two ways, broadly speaking:
- there is a meeting of the membership where specific direction, generally through a vote, is received by the members who are apart of the bargaining team. This serves as a mandate and they should not return to the membership with an offer unless it is a reasonably close proximity to what the mandate laid out; or
- the membership of the union elects to their board individual who as apart of the election outline general goals for collective bargaining. Consequently the union entrusts the executive (or individuals involved in bargaining) to bring forward an offer/agreement for consideration that is inline with the collective interest.

As a general rule, the first mechanism I outlined is used for larger bargaining agents, whereas the second is usually used for smaller bargaining agents. 

If a deal, on the face of it, looks bad, the union executive does not need to take it to the membership. This can, however, be overridden by the Province who has reserve power to force a union executive to present an offer from an employer for a vote, even if the executive does not agree with the offer. It is extraordinarily rare for this to happen, but, if this drags I could see the Province forcing this prior to an actual return to work order. 

All i know they return to the table tomorrow for an emergency bargain. But let's hope it doesn't involve in a full shutdown for 3+ days (like 2001 but less). There are first transit driver's taking conventional (means those runs could be gone), there are handydart drivers taking conventional, mall employers, employees, and other people that reply on transit. 

Cmbc and unifor if you hear this, just take the deal as is and raise the fare a bit to help with bus service etc. The shutdown will have a huge impact on whoo trusts you again, less customers using transit the less employees and customers there will be. 

9 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Cmbc and unifor if you hear this, just take the deal as is and raise the fare a bit to help with bus service etc. The shutdown will have a huge impact on whoo trusts you again, less customers using transit the less employees and customers there will be. 

Honestly I would rather see them just do a one-time fare-hike instead of the small increases every year that they're currently doing for the 10-year plan.

5 hours ago, 8010 said:

Honestly I would rather see them just do a one-time fare-hike instead of the small increases every year that they're currently doing for the 10-year plan.

Thankfully that will never happen, because that’s a terrible idea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Thankfully that will never happen, because that’s a terrible idea.

I'd love to hear your brilliant idea on how to fund what the union is asking for.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

I'd love to hear your brilliant idea on how to fund what the union is asking for.

8 hours ago, 8010 said:

Let's begin with the very basics.

How much is bus fare going to cost in 10 years and how did you arrive at that value?

What is the benefit of increasing fares to a value 10 years down the road instead of increasing the fares as a per needed basis?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Let's begin with the very basics.

How much is bus fare going to cost in 10 years and how did you arrive at that value?

What is the benefit of increasing fares to a value 10 years down the road instead of increasing the fares as a per needed basis?

I don't recall ever saying increasing the fares was going to fully cover the union's demands. It's still a better idea than the idiotic comments I've read about decreasing the pay TL execs to help cover the cost, which I believe covers less than 1% of the union's demands.

5 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I don't recall ever saying increasing the fares was going to fully cover the union's demands. It's still a better idea than the idiotic comments I've read about decreasing the pay TL execs to help cover the cost, which I believe covers less than 1% of the union's demands.

I didn't say you did.

You said you'd rather see a one time fare hike rather than smaller increments over 10 years and I'd like to know how you are going to determine what the fare will be in 10 years from know and how you've arrived at that value.

As for "funding the Union's demands", any fare hike will only cover a small portion of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

Anyone know the plan after the 3 day walkout? 

CMBC may extend it into Saturday if they decide to lock the workers out. Beyond that, IDK.

52 minutes ago, 9924 said:

I didn't say you did.

You said you'd rather see a one time fare hike rather than smaller increments over 10 years and I'd like to know how you are going to determine what the fare will be in 10 years from know and how you've arrived at that value.

As for "funding the Union's demands", any fare hike will only cover a small portion of that.

My bad for jumping to that conclusion. The Phase 2 document has a list of the fares leading up to 2027. My big problem with these small fare increases every year is that there's usually some weird amounts for different fares. For example adult 1-zone fare will be $3.20 next year, the way I see it just round up to $3.25. Quarters, loonies, and toonies are the most common coins in everyone's wallets (judging from what I've seen and heard at least), and fare increases every year is kind of annoying as you're adjusted to these new prices just for them to be changed again the next year. I would personally rather see larger fare increases every 2-3 years with better rounding to the nearest quarter than small incremental increases every year with (this is just my opinion) strange cent values per fare. I hope that made sense.

20191126_062945.png

Tentative agreement has been reached after the deadline was extended until 1230am

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 8010 said:

The public gets pissed every time it goes up by 5 cents, so what are they gonna think when it goes up 40?