cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

5 hours ago, Express691 said:

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Projects/RapidBus-Program/R1-King-George-Blvd.aspx 

The R1 RapidBus page has been edited to have service every 7.5 minutes during peak periods instead of every 9 minutes. This probably explains the additional XDE60 (18035-18037) sent to STC.

Finally Surrey is getting the "help" they need! (Well some spots anyways) the 96 can sure be packed on lots of runs (never mind rush hours we already know it's fate for that) I've seen some before after rush hours like 9pm still being packed. And about the ones sent to Surrey. 191s were to be Hamilton. Are they all going to Surrey now? Makes more sense Besides finally getting brand new ones (after i read since 1999 d40lf units came Surrey hasn't had new ones) 

(I'll ask that in the garage transfers if needed because it was transferred from Hamilton before entering service right? (Commissioned there and sent to Surrey) so it's a garage transfer. 

Nevermind Hamilton getting them. They stole some 18s from Surrey when 340 left. Couldn't they have taken some d40lf rather than my precious 18200!? (How dare they lol)

Starting Monday October 28th consultation on two additional routes for the Transit Network Review will be up, the two routes are:

• north/south route connecting the River District to Metrotown Station

• express route connecting Phibbs Exchange to Metrotown Station via Brentwood Station

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 8010 said:

Starting Monday October 28th consultation on two additional routes for the Transit Network Review will be up, the two routes are:

• north/south route connecting the River District to Metrotown Station

• express route connecting Phibbs Exchange to Metrotown Station via Brentwood Station

Yes

Screenshot_20191025-062453_Instagram.thumb.jpg.10ba691cf8c0109069ebc0c51475d9be.jpg

I argue that it should go to Kerr -> 54 -> Tyne -> via 49 to Metrotown just to get the access to Chaplain Heights.

Though some may argue that directness of the route should take precedence over serving popular destinations (tbh it's not that bad of a deviation). Besides; had it been a direct service, it would have gone up Boundary to 49th

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

I argue that it should go to Kerr -> 54 -> Tyne -> via 49 to Metrotown just to get the access to Chaplain Heights.

Though some may argue that directness of the route should take precedence over serving popular destinations (tbh it's not that bad of a deviation). Besides; had it been a direct service, it would have gone up Boundary to 49th

Assuming this route uses 40-footers, is the problem using Kerr or Boundary the steep uphills from Marine?

If TransLink is proposing this route as shown, I would include the 26 in the consultation process, or at least bring it up.

10 hours ago, Express691 said:

Yes

Screenshot_20191025-062453_Instagram.thumb.jpg.10ba691cf8c0109069ebc0c51475d9be.jpg

IMO we don't need more service duplication where it's not needed, the 26 could easily be extended down there (although that would require both more buses and increased frequency) while having a route like the 146 extend to serve the lost portion of the route while also serving Champlain Heights.

I would also argue that the 80 is not all that necessary if TL could extend the 29 via Elliott, Marine, Kerr, planned route 80 terminus at River District.

I am starting to wonder if the inefficiencies in this area are being driven by petty politics...

1. Burnaby keeps insisting on having local stops / service along Willingdon Diversion in both directions... This could be one way to make the 430 express again

2. By doing this, they could technically claim they've added service to the Champlain Heights area. Residents were rather vocal when they did away with the 49 diversion.

3. Are the service hours for the 26 exclusively for Vancouver? Or are the service hours for the 146 exclusively for Burnaby?

4 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

3. Are the service hours for the 26 exclusively for Vancouver? Or are the service hours for the 146 exclusively for Burnaby?

From my understanding (and I could be wrong) service hours are under TransLink's control, not the municipalities. Service hours are more or less exclusive to the transit centre the route operates from, but they can be moved around should a route be transferred to a different transit centre or during service changes. For example: the 480 operates out of RTC and travels mainly through Vancouver, in January the route will be reduces to peak-only with the introduction of R4 along 41st Avenue, since the 480 uses mainly 40-foot buses now and RTC has no RapidBus artics to transfer those off-peak service hours will most likely be moved over to another RTC route.

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Projects/Managing-the-Transit-Network/Transit-Network-Review.aspx

Consultation for route 31 and 222/245 is out.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:38 AM, rickie22 said:

Assuming this route uses 40-footers, is the problem using Kerr or Boundary the steep uphills from Marine?

If TransLink is proposing this route as shown, I would include the 26 in the consultation process, or at least bring it up.

Unfortunately this is not the case as the 31 is proposed to be a shuttle route.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/269151/TimBit-toss-won-t-hold-the-SkyTrain-says-TransLink

It was a last-ditch attempt to get onto the SkyTrain as the doors closed... but it didn't quite work. 

One would-be passenger threw a bag of Tim Hortons goodies at the doors in an attempt keep the train from leaving the Granville station in Vancouver on Oct 24.

The TimBit toss may just take the cake for creative transit tricks, and TransLink took its cautionary tale to Instagram in the form of a Craigslist Missed Connection parody. 

The post begins: “Missed Connection: Granville Station SkyTrain Platform 6:50 p.m. on October 24 – You were running for the departing SkyTrain, and in a desperate bid to get on the train, you threw your @timhortons bag at the closing doors in hopes that – like an elevator, the doors would open and you and your beloved Tim's would be on your way to your destination. Hopefully, we can connect again soon over a double-double :)”

TransLink offers some advice:

“A reminder to both Tim's and non-Tim's carrying customers: We want you to have a safe and pleasant journey. That means take it slow, don’t run for the train (another is coming soon!), hold on, and follow transit etiquette because safety is fundamental — and it starts with you.”

🤣🤣

Unifor local 111 has just served CMBC with 72 hour strike notice which will take place at midnight on Thursday. No announcement as of yet what will take place a work to rule, or a strike? As time gets closer to Thursday well find out what kind of job action will take place.

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

Unifor local 111 has just served CMBC with 72 hour strike notice which will take place at midnight on Thursday. No announcement as of yet what will take place a work to rule, or a strike? As time gets closer to Thursday well find out what kind of job action will take place.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/coast-mountain-bus-workers-serve-72-hour-strike-notice-1.4659795 (just to help/provide a link for others in case they need information. 

9 hours ago, Express691 said:

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Projects/Managing-the-Transit-Network/Transit-Network-Review.aspx

Consultation for route 31 and 222/245 is out.

Unfortunately this is not the case as the 31 is proposed to be a shuttle route.

The fact that they are considering the 31 without taking other routes into account is quite infuriating...

13 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

The fact that they are considering the 31 without taking other routes into account is quite infuriating...

What do you mean?

Official statement by Unifor....

VANCOUVER—The failure of Coast Mountain Bus Company (CMBC) to meaningfully address workers’ concerns about working conditions, wages, and benefits during this round of negotiations has led Unifor Local 111 and 2200 to serve 72-hour notice of job action.

“It’s not hard to understand what is happening here. The company is showing little respect for the difficult working conditions that our members must face every day,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President.

If an agreement is not achieved in the next 72 hours, job action that will affect services will begin. The precise form strike action will take is to be determined but could range from work-to-rule or rolling strike action. The deadline is Thursday evening at midnight.

“Unifor’s bargaining committees are prepared to stay at the table all week to reach a deal,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator. “The company’s lack of movement leaves us little choice but to set a strike deadline.”

On October 10, 2019 the two Unifor local unions at the bargaining table voted 99 per cent in favour of strike action. This is the first time in more than 18 years these local unions have issued strike notice. The last time this happened there was a four-month strike in 2001.

“Our members are proud to serve Metro Vancouver residents but our patience with CMBC is not limitless,” said Balbir Mann, Unifor Local 111 President.

Mike Smith, Unifor Local 2200 President, said it takes two sides to reach a compromise: “The deal is there if CMBC wants to reach out. The only reason we could be on strike by the weekend is because the employer has dug in with an unreasonable position.” 

Unifor represents more than 5,000 workers at Coast Mountain Bus Company, with Unifor Local 111 representing transit operators in conventional and community shuttles and Unifor Local 2200 representing maintenance and Seabus workers.

Unifor is Canada’s largest union in the private sector, representing 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.

1 hour ago, Citaro said:

What do you mean?

Since the proposed routing for the 31 overlaps part of the 26, it would be nice if they had also taken this chance to try to straighten out the 26 given the amount of twists and turns and double backing it does now.  As well, the whole Champlain Heights/Burnaby South Slope area is due for a restructure, given the amount of duplication and winding routes in the area.  The 26 being a prime example, but so is the 116, which takes several twists and turns between Metrotown and the industrial areas on North Fraser Way, including a very illogical split with NB and SB trips quite a distance apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on how to refine the proposal:

Implement the 31 with the proposed routing, but operate it with big buses and the same frequency and span of service as the 26 currently has.  This will allow for the removal of the 26 from the eastern part of Champlain Heights, the 26 will instead follow its current route from 29th Ave Stn to Champlain Heights, where it will then turn south and run down Matheson Cr to Marine Dr, then turn east and interline with a revised 146.  The revised 146 will run via Marine Dr, Jofre, Rumble, Patterson, Portland and Sussex through the Burnaby South Slope area, providing two way service on the portions of the 116 and 146 that are currently one way.  As well, moving it to Sussex from Patterson will allow the 116 coming from Marine Dr to go straight up Patterson to Metrotown, giving the route which continues outside the area the more direct routing.  Since this interline would require the 146 to run with big buses, it would be routed via Imperial and Central Blvd to Metrotown.  With these routings, the 31 and 146 would need to use the loop at Metrotown Stn, though the 146 could pull through the loop then pick up on Central Blvd like the 110 does.  To give the 31 space in the loop, the 144 could also join the 110 on Central Blvd, given they have some route overlap and serve some of the same destinations.

Where this plan gets to be a bit of a stretch is in replacing the existing 26 service to Joyce Stn.  To serve this area, I've attached it to a new route 57, which would run from Joyce Stn to Dunbar Loop.  The route would continue from this area via 54 Ave, Argyle, 57 Ave, Main, 49 Ave, Cambie, 57 Ave, SW Marine, Dunbar to Dunbar Loop.  This route would be useful to fill in the grid in Vancouver, adding an east-west service in the large gap between 49 Ave and Marine Dr, though obviously would require a much bigger investment than the proposed 31.

Champlain Heights.png

• Like 2

If the 222 is going to be a peak-only precursor to the Willingdon Avenue RapidBus, shouldn't it go all the way to Cap-U? I still think the 28 should maintain its peak routing to Cap-U.

5 hours ago, 8010 said:

If the 222 is going to be a peak-only precursor to the Willingdon Avenue RapidBus, shouldn't it go all the way to Cap-U? I still think the 28 should maintain its peak routing to Cap-U.

Not until they get good transit priority to avoid delays. A good bit of the issue with going to Cap, and even Phibbs to a lesser extend is all the cars slowing things down, hence the dedicated bus to Cap now.

As for the 31 proposal, it provides too much redundancy and very little benefit, because of that redundancy and minimal frequency. For this area of Vancouver and south Burnaby, routes do need to be simplified to make them more legible, efficient, and direct, which should increase ridership and allow frequency improvements.

Edit: I have the updated 26 extending to Boundary in the River District to allow for easy 116 transfers. Not imperative, but would be nice.
26.thumb.png.87d0ee2b110cb69f73e4d76227e18486.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Since the proposed routing for the 31 overlaps part of the 26, it would be nice if they had also taken this chance to try to straighten out the 26 given the amount of twists and turns and double backing it does now.  As well, the whole Champlain Heights/Burnaby South Slope area is due for a restructure, given the amount of duplication and winding routes in the area.  The 26 being a prime example, but so is the 116, which takes several twists and turns between Metrotown and the industrial areas on North Fraser Way, including a very illogical split with NB and SB trips quite a distance apart.

Don't forget the 146 terminating just across from the Burnaby-Vancouver border.

I made a prolonged visit to the UVIC library yesterday to go through the documents they have about transit in BC (not many). Other than discovering some historical points through the annual reports, one thing really jumped out at me in the 1995 publication called "In Transit: People Moving People." In it, they discuss something that is oddly relevant today... the implementation of the RapidBus system across Metro Vancouver. Not only was the original proposed name for what we now know as the B-Line the RapidBus, but the colour was even green. Amazing that twenty-five years later, they've decided to follow through with the plans they originally had for the RapidBus system. I found lots of other interesting stuff but this one stood out due to its current relevance.

4i8v0w3oliv31.jpg?width=888&auto=webp&s=

• Like 2

With the strike happening soon (at least I think it's happening?), hopefully CMBC and the union can work out a deal for the operators. 

BCT negotiated with Unifor333 back in 2016 and increased wages and made everyone equal (same top rate, same license). A bus is a bus, you get paid $31/hour whether you drive an ARBOC or a double-decker. Edmonton Transit also did this too a couple years ago. 

Let's hope CMBC makes the same decision... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

With the strike happening soon (at least I think it's happening?), hopefully CMBC and the union can work out a deal for the operators. 

BCT negotiated with Unifor333 back in 2016 and increased wages and made everyone equal (same top rate, same license). A bus is a bus, you get paid $31/hour whether you drive an ARBOC or a double-decker. Edmonton Transit also did this too a couple years ago. 

Let's hope CMBC makes the same decision... 

I don't believe thats an issue at this time.  As far as I know, Community Shuttle and Conventional with Translink are two separate entities, not sure how Victoria has that set up but other BC Transit properties have community/conventional under the same umbrella.

As for a "bus being a bus", I disagree.  First of all, an Arboc only requires a Class 4 unrestricted with no air brakes while a conventional requires a Class 2 with air brakes, if a company requires you to have a Class 2 with air is irrelevant and the workload is quite different if you're driving 24 people around or 100 people around.  Having worked both community shuttles, HandyDart and conventional sides and having had numerous "debates" with those drivers, most of them want to be paid the same but they don't want to drive conventional because of either the extra workload or the shifts/hours involved.

• Like 6

Coquitlam Station Service Changes:

October 29 - November 3rd: Bay 7 (159/160 Poco) moved to newly constructed island.

November 4th - Onwards:

Bay 7: Closed (Will be the bay for the R3)

Bay 8/9: 151, 160 Kootenay Loop swap Bays. (151 will be Bay 8, 160 KL will be Bay 9)

Bay 1 (Currently 171-174): 159/160 Poco Station will serve this Bay.

Bay 13/14: New Bays on Island, will be used by 171/172, and 173/174.

These are permanent changes with the introduction of the R3

*East side of Loop widened, Work being done on new Entrance/Exit on EB Barnet Highway

As of today (10/30) Some buses travelling WB Lougheed are continuing on Barnet Hwy, entering Loop via Mariner entrance, others continuing to enter Loop SB Lougheed Hwy

• Thanks 1