Jump to content
cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Thomasw said:

 

I believe that operators breaks at each terminus should be a tenth of the length or there run. For example the 143 is about 30 minutes long so the driver should have about 3 minutes for a break, this may vary though depending on if the driver arrived at the terminus early or late.

I was thinking more along the lines of the longer trolley routes that can be 2-3 hour round trip. But yeah, breaks should be relative to trip length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about things like step-back crews on busier / more frequent routes, to allow buses to stay on schedule while drivers get breaks? (Mind you, this does nothing to alleviate the need to hire/retain more drivers...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was an exceptional demonstration of just how little TransLink cares about Langley and how little they pay attention to service in Langley when the September 2019 system map includes the 590. The 590 hasn't run once the last three years... anywhere. This isn't just a misplaced route number. This route number literally does not exist any more.

wovDkEu.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Of those, a uniform ban is least likely to affect service delivery. Not sure what the definition is of 'long' breaks is, but I do think a 10 minute break is not unreasonable.

10 minutes is reasonable for sure. Use the washroom, grab a bit or simply reset yourself.

I find that some runs have tight running times that cuts into your layover time if you arrive late. This is noticeable on long runs like the 49.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think mandatory breaks at each end of the run of 10%/10 minutes or wha ever is greater will benefit the drivers so they don't burn out as well as help them recharge and show a friendlier face during each shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mac Write said:

I think mandatory breaks at each end of the run of 10%/10 minutes or wha ever is greater will benefit the drivers so they don't burn out as well as help them recharge and show a friendlier face during each shift.

If the driver is already (xx) late. That comes off their break. So doesn't it mean it can make them (xx) later if they take a mandatory break? 

 

I do agree ops need breaks. 364 earlier this evening was running a bit late but changed into 595 4 minutes if that on time from traffic congestion. And left a few min late. Got to Maple Meadows station i believe minus 10 (traffic again near carvolth was pretty insane). 

 

If a driver is running late. They still deserve a break because of the timing is correct but the traffic congestion consumed the break. I'm just saying just take a break. But let the passengers know your running late and need a few minutes to wind down (apology). 

 

Last year i was riding the 319 (idk exact date). And when it got back up the hill by Petro Canada the transit security asked if the op had a break. Said no. They gave the op a few minutes. 

 

So breaks are see. Mandatory! (Hope i made a bit of sense in a long reply)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 9:32 PM, InfiNorth said:

I thought this was an exceptional demonstration of just how little TransLink cares about Langley and how little they pay attention to service in Langley when the September 2019 system map includes the 590. The 590 hasn't run once the last three years... anywhere. This isn't just a misplaced route number. This route number literally does not exist any more.

wovDkEu.png

 

Okay but that's a simple mistake, that's not really a good example of "how little TransLink cares about Langley"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I know @KINGSTER200 brought this up in a conversation: 

The TTC has specifically assigned buses that are directed to serve on any route that is experiencing a missing bus or is delayed. Nicknamed RAD buses (Run As Directed), they are dispatched to a route and are not confined to a schedule. Dispatch then assigns the next route upon arrival to the terminal.

It's said to have a net effect on increasing on-time reliability despite being expensive to operate.

I submitted this on the Transport 2050 ideas board.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1702327/stranded-how-the-ttc-is-trying-to-solve-its-short-turn-problem/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 8:32 PM, InfiNorth said:

I thought this was an exceptional demonstration of just how little TransLink cares about Langley and how little they pay attention to service in Langley when the September 2019 system map includes the 590. The 590 hasn't run once the last three years... anywhere. This isn't just a misplaced route number. This route number literally does not exist any more.

wovDkEu.png

 

It's just something that wasn't deleted properly when they cancelled the route.  Submit a feedback and it'll get fixed, eventually.

When the new map was first released, I submit a few errors and they all got fixed.  Maybe it's not that TransLink doesn't care, but rather, no one in Langley really care to report the error?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nname said:

Maybe it's not that TransLink doesn't care, but rather, no one in Langley really care to report the error?

Maybe a bit of both in a feedback loop. How does one report the error?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moreover: The route maps don't get produced/corrected often. Perhaps now is a good chance because the map will be re-done fully for rapidbus implementation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 8010 said:

So Burnaby mayor Hurley wants more electric buses — great, wonderful! Does this mean you’ll allow us to string overhead around the new Metrotown on-street loop? Maybe also between Boundary Loop and Brentwood?

Also, I’m surprised they’re rebuilding the 1991 and 1995 Mark I cars. Will it really be worth keeping such a small fleet with so little commonality with newer rolling stock in service past the retirement of the much-larger 1985 order?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

So Burnaby mayor Hurley wants more electric buses — great, wonderful! Does this mean you’ll allow us to string overhead around the new Metrotown on-street loop? Maybe also between Boundary Loop and Brentwood?

Also, I’m surprised they’re rebuilding the 1991 and 1995 Mark I cars. Will it really be worth keeping such a small fleet with so little commonality with newer rolling stock in service past the retirement of the much-larger 1985 order?

I'd be surprised if Burnaby allows the trolley wires to be extended further than where they currently are.

I don't see a point in refurbishing the remaining 36 Mark I cars if they're just gonna end up being replaced by Mark IIIs within the next decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember from previous SkyTrain-related documents, there are 95 cars earmarked for replacement and the rest are expansion. The 95 is probably 19 5-car trains to replace 19 6-car Mk 1 trains, so the plan was probably to only replace the 100-400 series Mk 1s and not the 500-800 series ones by 2026.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 8010 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/local-news/translink-gas-tax-funding-request/amp

9 40-foot battery-electric buses

39 40-foot standard buses

30 60-foot articulated buses

71 community shuttles

52 HandyDART shuttles

Refurbishments to SkyTrain cars 121-156

Why buy more battery electric buses when the current 4 are only used during the AM & PM peak hour rush? They have been on the road now since September if I'm correct & they can't keep them out longer? Seems like the program is a failure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Why buy more battery electric buses when the current 4 are only used during the AM & PM peak hour rush? They have been on the road now since September if I'm correct & they can't keep them out longer? Seems like the program is a failure?

Right... September was 20 days ago so I'm not sure what you expect for these buses which are just starting service.

In any case:

4 hours ago, 8010 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/local-news/translink-gas-tax-funding-request/amp

9 40-foot battery-electric buses

39 40-foot standard buses

30 60-foot articulated buses

71 community shuttles

52 HandyDART shuttles

Refurbishments to SkyTrain cars 121-156

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards/IntergovernmentFinance/FIC_2019-Oct-16_AGE.pdf

1) The 2021 standard bus procurement was 48 40' buses in the May 2019 Mayor's council meeting along with the 30 artics.

2) I believe the 71 shuttles are excercised options, and are likely to contain a mix of high/low floor shuttles. Gotta check the procurement thread for those.

3) an argument was made either on the document or SSP wherein the capacity of the skytrain system would reduce by 17% (6 trains) had those cars been disposed of (which is the other option) instead of refurbished.

4) The 100 will then go to 16 (9/6/7) buses, so there will be 19 electric buses (once the additional 6 arrive in 2020) in total: 16 on the 100, 3 spare. This may hint that the 80 express (Transit network review) is being pushed ahead, assuming they want the 100 to be fully electric (please continue discussion in the battery bus project thread).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Right... September was 20 days ago so I'm not sure what you expect for these buses which are just starting service.

It's been more then 20 days...... Let's try Sept 11th. if the testing is still going on, add a couple of longer runs maybe 1-2 days a week, it's the only way you're going to shake out the bugs if any.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

Why buy more battery electric buses when the current 4 are only used during the AM & PM peak hour rush? They have been on the road now since September if I'm correct & they can't keep them out longer? Seems like the program is a failure?

They've only been testing them since September and you think the program is a "failure"? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 9924 said:

They've only been testing them since September and you think the program is a "failure"? 

Armchair expertise at its finest.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 11:16 PM, 9924 said:

They've only been testing them since September and you think the program is a "failure"? 

New model. New bus. Takes time to work em out of misery. Don't be alarmed to see them out of service for times here and there! Mostly can only go on the 100 for testing purposes. Eventually they'll plan to upgrade other routes/facilities for use of this model (or newer)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 5:16 PM, 8010 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/local-news/translink-gas-tax-funding-request/amp

9 40-foot battery-electric buses

39 40-foot standard buses

30 60-foot articulated buses

71 community shuttles

52 HandyDART shuttles

Refurbishments to SkyTrain cars 121-156

Fleet Allocation:

9 Electric Bus to HTC

39 40 Footers - Likely to VTC? That would move the remaining LFS to Richmond?

30 60 Footers - Likely to RTC & PTC?

Sounds like the future of Burnaby will be Electric Bus rather than hybrid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cleowin said:

Fleet Allocation:

9 Electric Bus to HTC

39 40 Footers - Likely to VTC? That would move the remaining LFS to Richmond?

30 60 Footers - Likely to RTC & PTC?

Sounds like the future of Burnaby will be Electric Bus rather than hybrid?

The artics will most likely be going to STC and either RTC or HTC for the Phase 2 RapidBus routes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cleowin said:

39 40 Footers - Likely to VTC? That would move the remaining LFS to Richmond?

The 9 and 41 will switch vehicles over the next year/2 years, but yes I believe the fleet requirements in VTC may require additional dieselization during MLBE construction (despite the trolley wires going up on 12th).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...