Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

Hearing that the #10 will become articulated in September? Must be part of "right sizing" the fleet and this will mean less spare articulated trolleys, but more spares of the regular trolleys.

I can't be the first one to think of this and I think it's been discussed on CPTDB in the past, but why won't TransLink extend the trolley wires on 41st Avenue all the way to UBC? Seems like the best way to "optimize" service. Reduce the spare vehicle ratio and the fuel savings would pay for the capital cost associated with extending the wires? No?

Hearing that the #10 will become articulated in September? Must be part of "right sizing" the fleet and this will mean less spare articulated trolleys, but more spares of the regular trolleys.

I can't be the first one to think of this and I think it's been discussed on CPTDB in the past, but why won't TransLink extend the trolley wires on 41st Avenue all the way to UBC? Seems like the best way to "optimize" service. Reduce the spare vehicle ratio and the fuel savings would pay for the capital cost associated with extending the wires? No?

I mentioned the same thing, but apparently the issue is having a Trolley running along Marine Drive there at 80 km/hr could pose the risk of dewirement, which on that road (considered basically a highway), would be dangerous for the driver, so it's not an efficient move. And the only logical place is to have the 41 detour up Dunbar all the way to 16th then to Blanca, up to University Blvd, and that's a long trip as it is.

I mentioned the same thing, but apparently the issue is having a Trolley running along Marine Drive there at 80 km/hr could pose the risk of dewirement, which on that road (considered basically a highway), would be dangerous for the driver, so it's not an efficient move. And the only logical place is to have the 41 detour up Dunbar all the way to 16th then to Blanca, up to University Blvd, and that's a long trip as it is.

Ah. That makes sense and explains everything.

I guess if they ever implement the 91 B-Line, they could convert the 41 into a trolley route running between Joyce Station and Dunbar Loop?

• 2 weeks later...

Since I took part in the online survey for service optimization, I got e-mailed a summary of Translink's community consultation and recommended action on each proposed change.

Changes that will likely not occur:

The 211 will not be removed from Fairway Dr, as several residents in the area opposed the removal of service.

The C1/C2 will remain in their current setup instead of being merged due to the large number of complaints about the proposed reroute from the neighborhood.

The C48 and C49 will not be trucated as proposed.

The C21 and C23 will likely be split, but the extensions to Second Beach and Terminal Avenue may be delayed.

The 153 reroute via Schoolhouse St is now a maybe, based on concerns about crowiding on the 156 if the 153 is rerouted. Ridership and boardings will be reviewed before this changed takes place now.

The 251/252 revisions will be further reviewed to ensure the routing maintains coverage, but it seems to be going ahead despite opposition.

All the other changes are likely to be implemented as proposed.2013_Service_Optimization_Public_Consultation_Summary.pdf

2013_Service_Optimization_Public_Consultation_Summary.pdf

The C1/C2 will remain in their current setup instead of being merged due to the large number of complaints about the proposed reroute from the neighborhood.

My only problem with this proposed change was the reduced frequency; the route modification made perfect sense and I'm disappointed that so many people opposed it and that it won't happen.

My only problem with this proposed change was the reduced frequency; the route modification made perfect sense and I'm disappointed that so many people opposed it and that it won't happen.

And yet they are still reducing the off-peak frequency of C1 and C2.

I'm more disappointed that they are still insisting on deleting the 177 without providing a proper alternative...

• 3 months later...

Some of the September changes (all of them are mentioned in the service optimization previously, and I haven't check the others):

96 - New B-Line, schedule not completed yet

101 - Move to 6th Avenue, no running time change

128 - New route, replacing route 154 and move to 8th Avenue

154 - Discontinued

159 - Reroute to United Blvd, one am trip cancelled, 6min increase in running time on average

177 - Discontinued

314 - River Road segment discontinued, all trip route to Sunbury until 6pm, slight increase in service overall

320 - Reduce to every 15min all day, every second trip short-turn at Fleetwood

321 - Reduce to every 15min all day, most Newton short-turn removed except early morning and late night

332 - Discontinued, replaced by 335

335 - Merge with 332 and extend to Newton, schedule not complete yet

C1 - Reduce to every 60min off-peak

C2 - Reduce to every 60min off-peak

C99 - Discontinued

N24 - Extend to Lynn Valley Centre, schedule not complete yet

• 1 month later...

This might be in the realm of fantasy land, but I'd like them to build a bus-only bridge beside where the Queensborough rail bridge is right now, and then have 410 run through the Queensborough and Quayside areas. That to me seems like a win win... less issues with the 410 getting stuck on Queensborough Bridge, and the residents get served with a route that runs pretty frequently already.

Of course, there may be issues with that, mostly with realigning the railroad, securing the right-of-way, annoying a few residents, and spending a few million more to build said bridge...

Some of the September changes (all of them are mentioned in the service optimization previously, and I haven't check the others):

96 - New B-Line, schedule not completed yet

I heard the 96 B-Line is going to run ever 7-8 minutes throw out the day.

Farewell the 177...

The last trip from Coquitlam heading to Braid will leave Sunday, September 1st at 2301. The last trip from Braid leaves at 2330, arriving at Coquitlam just before midnight.

Although the route isn't as "big" as the 98 B-Line, I'll be riding the last round trip. We might not see another bus running through Riverview for a few years, or maybe never again.

Anyone crazy enough to join me?

I'll also be doing the last C99 on the Saturday, shall we all crushload the shuttle on it's last trip? :lol:

Ill do the 177, 154, and 332 (and maye the last day of 335-Fleetwood before it becomes 335 Newton Exch) before it 9/2 but only the daytime... (Need to be home before 7)

I need a bigger SD card q.q

Talking about 335, I was thinking

-Keep 332

-Terminate 335 between Newton and Guildford

OR

From Newton Exchange, every 3rd or 4th trip short turns at Guildford

It'll be funny if it is crush loaded on its last trip because it is being discontinued due to "no" ridership...

With all the people moving into Queensborough, it's a bit of a surprise that the service did so badly... at the same time, however, I think the fact that it didn't cross the bridge and instead made people transfer to the 410 doomed it from the start...

Now, if the 410 or 104 (short turn) serviced that area, the ridership issue may take an interesting twist...

Farewell the 177...

The last trip from Coquitlam heading to Braid will leave Sunday, September 1st at 2301. The last trip from Braid leaves at 2330, arriving at Coquitlam just before midnight.

Although the route isn't as "big" as the 98 B-Line, I'll be riding the last round trip. We might not see another bus running through Riverview for a few years, or maybe never again.

Anyone crazy enough to join me?

I'll also be doing the last C99 on the Saturday, shall we all crushload the shuttle on it's last trip? :lol:

I'll likely be in for the 177 trip. We'll see about the C99.

With all the people moving into Queensborough, it's a bit of a surprise that the service did so badly... at the same time, however, I think the fact that it didn't cross the bridge and instead made people transfer to the 410 doomed it from the start...

Now, if the 410 or 104 (short turn) serviced that area, the ridership issue may take an interesting twist...

Living in the area, I think I know why. If you were to take the C99 from its designated starting spot (Gilley & Westminster), you would get to the shopping centre fairly fast, but getting back would be an issue since it only runs every hour. Essentially, waiting for the C99 at the shopping centre would equal (or be more than) the time it takes to walk across the Howes Street interchange to the 410 stop and getting to your destination - even though it involves more walking, being part of the FTN means you get between places faster. The only time I ever saw more than one person on it was to transfer at the 410/104 stop at Ewen and Howes heading to 22nd.

The C98 will be rerouting and passing Hamilton and the Queensborough shopping centre and still going to 22nd at peak hours, so we'll see how that works out.

• 4 weeks later...

Farewell the 177...

Seems like they are running a few 169 through Riverview on weekdays? I thought Riverview was the reason they want to cancel the 177 in the first place...

169 Braid Station via Riverview

6:36a 7:34a 8:34a 3:18p 4:18p 5:18p

169 Coquitlam Station via Riverview

7:05a 8:04a 9:05a 3:37p 4:37p 5:34p

Note these doesn't show up in the printed schedule...

Seems like they are running a few 169 through Riverview on weekdays? I thought Riverview was the reason they want to cancel the 177 in the first place...

169 Braid Station via Riverview

6:36a 7:34a 8:34a 3:18p 4:18p 5:18p

169 Coquitlam Station via Riverview

7:05a 8:04a 9:05a 3:37p 4:37p 5:34p

Note these doesn't show up in the printed schedule...

So if they're not showing up in the printed schedule, the Translink service notices, the drivers paddles or headway sheets (I checked), where did you get this info from?