cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

3 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

On the topic of the 301:

The double deckers are scheduled to begin entering service in October. I have been told that operator training will begin in mid-September. The 301, however, will begin operation out of RTC starting Labour Day. I have made some inquiries through official channels in an effort to determine what bus types will be allocated to the 301 on an interim basis before the double deckers are ready.

The answer I received was "that's highway work, it will be done with Orions". This fits with my hypothesis that all of Surrey's Orions will follow the 301 to RTC, especially since the 503 will operate with artics, thereby meaning there will no longer be any need to have Orions based at STC.

@UpLift Vancouver will likely welcome this news. 

They'll find out the hard way how the capacity needs to be maximized. I'm sure, however, that the Nova Suburbans will do just as fine holding standees as any other standard bus, namely the XN40 and D40LFR. 

The NovaSubs are frankly ideal for the 301, at least until the Enviro500s take over. They hold about as many standees as a regular bus, but have slightly more seats.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

On the topic of the 301:

The double deckers are scheduled to begin entering service in October. I have been told that operator training will begin in mid-September. The 301, however, will begin operation out of RTC starting Labour Day. I have made some inquiries through official channels in an effort to determine what bus types will be allocated to the 301 on an interim basis before the double deckers are ready.

The answer I received was "that's highway work, it will be done with Orions". This fits with my hypothesis that all of Surrey's Orions will follow the 301 to RTC, especially since the 503 will operate with artics, thereby meaning there will no longer be any need to have Orions based at STC.

@UpLift Vancouver will likely welcome this news. :P 

The 555 is getting double deckers in January, do you know if that is going to RTC?

BTC is currently being renovated and someone told me it's to accommodate the double deckers, looking at the renovation they actually did raise the ceiling in the fueling/wash bay are.  

48 minutes ago, Phillip said:

The 555 is getting double deckers in January, do you know if that is going to RTC?

BTC is currently being renovated and someone told me it's to accommodate the double deckers, looking at the renovation they actually did raise the ceiling in the fueling/wash bay are.  

RTC from what I’ve heard come January

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phillip said:

I've been hearing HTC for the 555 everywhere. Don't quote me on that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phillip said:

The semi-official answer to that is "most likely".

It isn't a done deal yet, but apparently as of last week, the main consideration was the cost of cycling the buses to RTC for maintenance from whatever depot the 555 will run from, versus the cost of deadheading and travel time from RTC compared to from HTC. At this point, my understanding is that they are leaning towards simply running the 555 out of RTC, at least for the time being.

• Thanks 2

After the 52 Double Deckers come, how many more could the system support so we can maximize capacity of all the busses? 49 all Double Deckers, 130, 106 and so on? Could we have another 200+ double deckers to maximize capacity of the buses? The system is growing so fast. What is the best route upgrade path? 40, 60, double decker or 40 double decker 60?

I just want to see as many double deckers as possible so that a 95%+ reduction in pass ups could be achieved based on todays traffic. 

It seems double decker buses are the solution to over crowding on our under funded buses.

1 hour ago, Mac Write said:

After the 52 Double Deckers come, how many more could the system support so we can maximize capacity of all the busses? 49 all Double Deckers, 130, 106 and so on? Could we have another 200+ double deckers to maximize capacity of the buses? The system is growing so fast. What is the best route upgrade path? 40, 60, double decker or 40 double decker 60?

I just want to see as many double deckers as possible so that a 95%+ reduction in pass ups could be achieved based on todays traffic. 

It seems double decker buses are the solution to over crowding on our under funded buses.

As you might experience if you visit the PNE's decker on display, the deckers we're getting don't perform so well when you have lots of passengers getting on and off all the time. The single narrow stairway is a bottleneck that would make it hard to get up and down.

Deckers and artics are both capacity improvements over a standard coach, but they specialize differently:

The decker's strength is the hugely increased seating - ideal for busy routes that have long runs between stops and long overall trip times. This allows plenty of time for people to get settled and to prepare to exit. However, the decker has only 2 doors, relatively limited manoeuvring room, and less accessible space.

An artic, however, has a large amount of standing space compared to seating, is mostly low floor and has 3 doors. This makes it ideal for routes with lots of people hopping on and off (especially if all door boarding is used), and for fairly short journeys. The large low-floor space is well suited for folks with less mobility.

The 130, 106 and 49 are busy routes that would be/are well served by artics, but would not be a good match for deckers. These routes are local services making many stops with constant passenger turnover, and the 106 has many seniors (in my experience).

Deckers wont work on all our busy routes and so a huge fleet wouldn't help so much. It's possible to create a north American decker better suited to local service (like london has with the two staircases) but I think articulated busses would still do that job better anyway.

• Like 8

On 8/24/2019 at 10:51 AM, Phillip said:

Hey maybe this could allow them to use them on the 257!

13 hours ago, Mac Write said:

Go over to Victoria. When in use on urban routes, the top deck is often empty. 

60 footers are better for urban use. Double decks are inconvenient for a lot of urban trips. If you're just taking the bus 10 stops (local), why would you go on the top deck? And so everyone crowds at the bottom.

46 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

Hey maybe this could allow them to use them on the 257!

I'm guessing the BTC renovation, if it's for deckers at all, is for maintenance and fleet overhaul there.

Even then, it's not like we have enough for the 257, anyway.

As far as I know, both artics and deckers have the same total capacity. Deckers seat more, but because we dont have a 3-door E500 design here in North America yet, the artic has the advantage in having more doors

On 8/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, Express691 said:

As far as I know, both artics and deckers have the same total capacity. Deckers seat more, but because we dont have a 3-door E500 design here in North America yet, the artic has the advantage in having more doors

4b66f21dca3c7bf0d1efecf9df50c3b0.jpg

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, dre said:

how many 60ft buses and where from are going to surrey for the 503?

Probably the 13 that are already there. They'll probably wrap up 13 of the 2019 units and put them on the 96 for the time being.

• Like 1

At Surrey Central, a bunch of the buses going to Newton Exchange now have the line "via *xyz* street" (via Guildford for the 335) on the bay signs.

I bet nobody is going to realize that there is an added stop for the 503 at 164th street.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2019 at 10:36 PM, Express691 said:

I bet nobody is going to realize that there is an added stop for the 503 at 164th street.

I'm probably one of the only people who noticed, I find it weird that there's no mention of it in the service changes section of the TL website as I would assume it would be a somewhat major change for Fleetwood residents.

Funniest thing this morning was when they forgot to move the cones this morning from bay 1 at Langley Centre.

15001's driver also made a mistake in thinking that the 503 Aldergrove retained its normal routing through King george when in fact all EB 503s are supposed to go by bay 1

52 minutes ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

340 seems to be operated by HTC.

We know, also 301 by RTC and 43 by HTC starting tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owo transit fan said:

41 school trip is now operated with a Hamilton XDE60. Driver also put Express sign on earlier. 

When it was BTC, that trip was almost always a nova.