Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

Honestly, I would have preferred an LED-driven next stop display that displayed either minutes until next bus arrival OR both current clock time AND estimated arrival time.... 

Also, what's with the non-uniform route label? I would have preferred something like...

R3 Lougheed Hwy RapidBus to Coquitlam Central Station

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Next bus digital signage on the new RapidBus stops, good luck reading it in the dark.

20190724_061657.png

19 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Honestly, I would have preferred an LED-driven next stop display that displayed either minutes until next bus arrival OR both current clock time AND estimated arrival time.... 

Also, what's with the non-uniform route label? I would have preferred something like...

R3 Lougheed Hwy RapidBus to Coquitlam Central Station

Completely agree with you on both points. Although it literally has that route label on the bus stop sign, so hopefully the destination signs are updated to have that too.

21 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Anyone know when the final Maple Ridge Transit Plan and Transit Network Review will be released? 

For the ATP -- the DRAFT plan should be resented to council for approval within the next couple of months, and it will probably take a few more months after it's being finalized.  But from the experience of SWATP, there probably won't be much change between the draft and final plan.

17 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

Extra buses: 10 at STC. They can be put to good use on the 319... or if VTC wants some for the 3/8/10/20 they can take the 7 D60LFs. But knowing Vancouver, they won't take anything older than a Nova 2nd Gen... :)

620 :P

You're down to 5.

6 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

You're down to 5.

I thought 620 becomes a decker route
==================================
2) What happens to 145 on the weekends? I guess either BTC sends non-RB artics (or even novas) to run the 145 (its not that busy on weekends from what I've seen) or have PCT do the work. 

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

I thought 620 becomes a decker route
==================================
2) What happens to 145 on the weekends? I guess either BTC sends non-RB artics (or even novas) to run the 145 (its not that busy on weekends from what I've seen) or have PCT do the work. 

Why doesn't PTC just operate the 145 on weekends with artics? It doesn't make much sense to just have non-RB artics sitting around PTC during the weekends (aside from the 150 in the summer) post-RapidBus launch, assuming the 701 isn't going to be using artics starting in 2020. It would also allow for some weekend increases on other artic routes, either the 99 or the 257 as I'm pretty sure those are the only BTC non-RB artic routes that operate on weekends.

I'm sure I made an error in my logic somewhere...

3 hours ago, buizelbus said:

You're down to 5.

RTC does want to put deckers on the route, but I would honestly prefer articulated buses. Some will say that an artic bumping along on a highway isn't ideal, but I really can't see the humanity in making vacationers lug their bags up to the second floor.

Somehow I feel like they just want to "match" BC Transit down in Swartz Bay, where every bus they send is a double-decker and Metro Vancouverites are so excited by the novelty of a view from the second floor. Come on Translink, stop mimicking Victoria and Seattle, do what is right and put artics on the 620.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Why doesn't PTC just operate the 145 on weekends with artics? It doesn't make much sense to just have non-RB artics sitting around PTC during the weekends (aside from the 150 in the summer) post-RapidBus launch, assuming the 701 isn't going to be using artics starting in 2020. It would also allow for some weekend increases on other artic routes, either the 99 or the 257 as I'm pretty sure those are the only BTC non-RB artic routes that operate on weekends.

I'm sure I made an error in my logic somewhere...

There is no error in your logic... :) Don't worry

PTC does need to, and will take over the 145 all week. The way BTC runs the weekend trips now is that they stick them into the 95/R5 blocks. With the 95 becoming a Rapidbus, there is no way BTC will continue to take the 145.

Then again, if we still have doubts, we can just ask @nname to tell us the future :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

PTC does need to, and will take over the 145 all week. The way BTC runs the weekend trips now is that they stick them into the 95/R5 blocks. With the 95 becoming a Rapidbus, there is no way BTC will continue to take the 145.

That also means that either Production Way or SFU will become a relief for the 145, if they decide not to put RBs on the route during weekends, which wouldnt really matter anyway whether PCT or BTC will be the ones running non-RB artics on the route.

In other news: I have reports that the escalators at Yaletown Roundhouse have re-opened.

Also can we just say NRBA's for Non-RB artics?

19 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

RTC does want to put deckers on the route, but I would honestly prefer articulated buses. Some will say that an artic bumping along on a highway isn't ideal, but I really can't see the humanity in making vacationers lug their bags up to the second floor.

Somehow I feel like they just want to "match" BC Transit down in Swartz Bay, where every bus they send is a double-decker and Metro Vancouverites are so excited by the novelty of a view from the second floor. Come on Translink, stop mimicking Victoria and Seattle, do what is right and put artics on the 620.

Deckers are perfect for this route. 

Generally there isn't a lot of luggage upstairs. If you gotta take it up, then whatever. It doesn't seem to phase people - myself included much. 

The attics are better for serving high capacity frequent on off ridership types. The Deckers offer a much higher likelihood of a single seated ride on the highway - and 99% of 620 ridership starts at the beginning and gets off at the end. 

They'd be matching BC Transit because what BCT did made sense; albeit, they got to that conclusion of Deckers for different reasons. To me the Swartz Bay routes would be better artic candidates between the two sides because of the high ridership and frequent stops even on the "express". 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, 8010 said:

Completely agree with you on both points. Although it literally has that route label on the bus stop sign, so hopefully the destination signs are updated to have that too.

Any confirmation that these buses have the "to [destination]" signs programmed? All I've seen from the launch video was, e.g. "R4 41st Ave".

did a very rough comparison/prediction of R1 R4 and R5 with current services:

R1 weekend:
9 minute service starts at 6am both directions 

R4 weekday:
-increase to every 3-6min between 6am-7pm (earlier start from UBC by at least 15 minutes)
-increase mid-day from every 12 minutes to every 8 minutes
-increase PM peak from 7.5min to every 4-6 minutes
-double service between 7pm and 9pm from every 15 minutes to every 8 minutes,
-extend 15 minute service until past midnight 

R4 weekend:
-basically the introduction of express buses on 41st avenue on weekends.

R5 weekday:
-1 more bus per hour between 1900 and 2100 (increase from 12 minutes to every 10 minutes) and 2300 until end of service (increase from 20 minutes to every 15 minutes)
R5 weekend:
-increase from every 12 minutes all day, 15/20 late night to every 10 minutes from start until finish

=======

Some of these differences might be key indicators for increases in September (as stop-gaps until the Rapidbuses start service). I'm especially looking at 43 because the weekday schedule for R4 will (obviously) have significantly more service than the current 43.

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

Some of these differences might be key indicators for increases in September (as stop-gaps until the Rapidbuses start service). I'm especially looking at 43 because the weekday schedule for R4 will (obviously) have significantly more service than the current 43.

I don't think so. As part of Translink's marketing, they want to show that Rapidbus has a significant increase of frequency. If changes are made now, then when January comes along they won't have anything to show as to how Rapidbus makes commuting faster and easier.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Are R1 and R5 going to have consultation on transit priorities or are they going straight to construction in the next couple months?

Pretty sure they already did the consolation. TL-B-Line-Summary-2018-09-12.pdf?la=en&h 

But I’ve been wrong before.

36 minutes ago, translink said:

Pretty sure they already did the consolation. TL-B-Line-Summary-2018-09-12.pdf?la=en&h 

But I’ve been wrong before.

That consultation was for R2, R3, R4, and the cancelled Fraser Highway RapidBus. I read that they're starting construction along the routes of R1 and R5 this summer, I honestly don't really care if there is consultation for the two routes because they will be the same services, just with some street priorities to make them a bit faster. I was just curious to see where the priorities will be.

15 hours ago, Express691 said:

Alerts: 404 from Brighouse will be moved to bay 5 with the 402 on Monday, bay 5a will be cancelled.

I was at Brighouse this morning and Bay 5a was already gone and the 404 shares Bay 5 with the 402.