Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 hour ago, briguychau said:

The CNG portion says 'replacements for aging diesels' @ PTC? What are they talking about? Maybe the Orion's?

The minutes posted above suggest that the Burrard Chinook has arrived in Vancouver?? I haven't seen anything online, I'm assuming that's incorrect or I misinterpreted it?

Also really curious to see what WCE gets for power? Are they for protection as the F59s get rebuilt?

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, Thomasw said:

Found some information about route ridership in 2018. Source: https://buzzer.translink.ca/2019/04/10-busiest-bus-routes-in-metro-vancouver/

1. 99 Commercial–Broadway/UBC B-Line: 17,414,000 boardings
2. 49 Metrotown Station/Dunbar Loop/UBC: 9,327,000 boardings
3. 20 Victoria/Downtown: 8,718,000 boardings
4. 41 Joyce Station/Crown/UBC: 8,604,000 boardings
5. 25 Brentwood Station/UBC: 8,288,000 boardings
6. 16  29th Avenue Station/Arbutus: 7,910,000 boardings
7. 9 Boundary/Commercial–Broadway Station/Granville/Alma/UBC: 7,396,000 boardings
8. 5/6 Robson/Downtown – Davie/Downtown: 7,182,000 boardings
9. 3 Main/Downtown: 7,004,000 boardings
10. 95 SFU/Burrard Station B-Line: 6,808,000 boardings

I'm honestly surprised to see the 9 and the 5/6 up there because I don't remember them being overly busy routes. I thought the 351 might be up there though because there is always a huge lineup at Bridgeport for it. What I find funny is the fact that they are turning the 43 into a B-Line or shall I say Rapidbus but the 43 doesn't even have that much ridership

Don't forget this is a measure of boardings, not passenger miles. That's why the 5/6 and the 9 feature in the top ten.  Lots of passengerturnover along the route rather than say the 99 where many passengers ride long distances. As an aside, I remember asking a Translink planner about ten years ago why they didn't put articulated trolleybuses on the 9 and the answer was that they wanted to keep the frequency as high as possible to cater for the short-distance type of passenger. 

The published chart is a bit misleading in placing the 41 only in 4th place as it excludes the passengers on the 43. They should have given one figure for the corridor on 41st or had a combined 41/43 listing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cleowin said:

C40LFR's in Surrey makes more sense, mostly flat

As someone transits in Surrey almost every day, I don't want ANY more LFR model busses operating here.  The seats are awful, they rattle more than a tool box, and the windows with their pinhole openings are gross and have mold growing in them.

5 hours ago, Tidom said:

As someone transits in Surrey almost every day, I don't want ANY more LFR model busses operating here.  The seats are awful, they rattle more than a tool box, and the windows with their pinhole openings are gross and have mold growing in them.

It makes sense for TransLink. You don't want any operating there. Most people don't care. Surrey is quite flat, unlike Coquitlam. It makes sense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

It makes sense for TransLink. You don't want any operating there. Most people don't care. Surrey is quite flat, unlike Coquitlam. It makes sense.

They are also a few years newer than the D40LF's remaining there.

• Like 1

Wow. If the dates are true, that is one old report...

I seem to recall that they deferred STC getting CNG fuel pumps until the recent 2018 order for New Flyer XN40s... And I think that, by now, with the price of diesel still remaining high compared to CNG, it's unlikely that PoCo will shut down its CNG operations. Yes, CNG buses do terrible on the Tri-Cities hills... but TransLink is always looking for maximum cost efficiencies. If the CNG buses end up being cheaper than diesel buses, then so be it.

13 hours ago, Tidom said:

I’d swap the 14000s for the D40LFRs any day 

16 hours ago, buizelbus said:

I won't deny that they would work better here due to the terrain, and that the general populace don't care.  I just wanted to get that off my chest.  Having C40LFRs here wouldn't be the end of the world, and I'm sure it would work out well with parts commonality between them and our D40LFRs, and hey it would mean STC (mostly) would have the same livery for all vehicles.

9 hours ago, Translink69 said:

I’d swap the 14000s for the D40LFRs any day 

Would if I could.  But i can't so i won't.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:37 AM, Tidom said:

I won't deny that they would work better here due to the terrain, and that the general populace don't care.  I just wanted to get that off my chest.  Having C40LFRs here wouldn't be the end of the world, and I'm sure it would work out well with parts commonality between them and our D40LFRs, and hey it would mean STC (mostly) would have the same livery for all vehicles.

Would if I could.  But i can't so i won't.

8 minutes ago, rulerduler said:

To me the c40lfr's and d40lfr's are complete crap. C40lfr's i hear a lot of people hate them. 

Naw, they are awesome (keep in mind I only rode Vancouver's in 2011). Medicine Hat's are very nice (2012 models, though).

8 minutes ago, rulerduler said:

I'll go marry 18200 the only STC fleet number that ends with 00

Also the only CMBC fleet number to end in 00