Jump to content
cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

Recommended Posts

On 4/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, Millennium2002 said:

I suppose it's a good start that they're working on the north half of the bridge already.

As for the south half, what improvements were you thinking of, specifically? Are you saying that the merge lane heading north from Hastings should be extended? (Perhaps as a bus queue-jumper lane?)

I'm not sure what the solution is. I've just experienced enough delays on the bridge to have a very good idea of what the problems are. One of the big ones is that any bus accessing Kootenay Loop (14, 27, 28, 95, 130, 160) has to go through the lineup of traffic queued for the NB turn onto the Cassiar Connector. The 28 and 130 "detour" around this nearly every AM rush hour. If the new express bus bypasses this, it would be useful, but the only way to do that would be to stay on Highway 1, which isn't really better. Otherwise, it's providing a new and faster link to the Skytrain compared to the 28 or 130, but not affecting overcrowding or reliability, especially on the 209/210/211 as Michael Marriott mentioned earlier.

I think that some of the improvements on the north side might make things worse, since the new configuration of ramps looks like it'll make it more difficult for buses to get into Phibbs Exchange through traffic on the ramps at that end. We'll find out if they ever start the rebuild of Phibbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some ideas...

Add a bus queue-jumper lane on Cassiar northbound that flies over to join the existing one on the northbound McGill Street ramp. In this way, buses from Hastings St are not stuck having to compete with the traffic on McGill.

Route the buses on a residential street nearby and add a bus-only ramp to Cassiar / McGill so that they aren't on Hastings altogether.

Extend merge lanes for both McGill and Cassiar ramps and add ramp meters with transit pre-emption before they meet the highway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Here are some ideas...

Route the buses on a residential street nearby and add a bus-only ramp to Cassiar / McGill so that they aren't on Hastings altogether.

 

That will not fly with residents on a quiet residential street!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's the plight of the residents... then there's the struggle of the commuters. WHO WILL WIN!? But serious, that is why I suggest them as ideas. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't.

I hate to repeat myself, but again the bridge itself will continue to be a stumbling block. It took me a little bit of time to realize we're currently funneling 6 approach lanes into 3. That's... going to be a stretch in terms of traffic management, no matter how you look at it. I mean, we could replace the median with a counterflow system like what they're doing on the Alex Fraser Bridge... but that assumes traffic is heavily skewed depending on what day and time it is. Perhaps @DarkKeyo can confirm that for me if that is the case or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dover5949 said:

That will not fly with residents on a quiet residential street!

Try to put only CNGs or hybrids on those routes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Try to put only CNGs or hybrids on those routes. 

BTC doesn't have any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Try to put only CNGs or hybrids on those routes. 

 

15 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

BTC doesn't have any.

Yes they do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express691 said:

 

Yes they do

40 footers, to be specific. I don't expect all the North Van routes going across the bridge to be converted to 60 footers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12021 is apparently a CNG! Look at the bottom right at the advertisement! 😀

 

 

20190411_091931.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All fun and games until someone doesn't pay attention at the fuel pumps... Having said that, that would only be a concern if the bus somehow made its way out to Hamilton, PoCo or Surrey... 

Speaking of which... D'aww... a look at what could have been our Mark II SkyTrain:
https://buzzer.translink.ca/2019/04/translink-20-the-secret-mark-ii-skytrain-cars/

Mark-II-Mockup-Exterior-1.jpg

(Courtesy of The Buzzer)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

There's the plight of the residents... then there's the struggle of the commuters. WHO WILL WIN!? But serious, that is why I suggest them as ideas. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't.

I hate to repeat myself, but again the bridge itself will continue to be a stumbling block. It took me a little bit of time to realize we're currently funneling 6 approach lanes into 3. That's... going to be a stretch in terms of traffic management, no matter how you look at it. I mean, we could replace the median with a counterflow system like what they're doing on the Alex Fraser Bridge... but that assumes traffic is heavily skewed depending on what day and time it is. Perhaps @DarkKeyo can confirm that for me if that is the case or not.

The Second Narrows bridge is not very skewed in either direction at peak times, and the bridges itself tends to function very well compared to the off and on ramps (being 6 through lanes). I've noticed that the specific problems related to going northbound onto the bridge don't really happen outside of the morning. Any accident in the morning jams every route that goes onto Hastings, including the 95 B-line. Similar things happen to the 239. 

Those are good ideas, and I've had similar thoughts and will suggest them if the bridge ever becomes a priority (although merge lanes wouldn't make much of a difference for the buses). It competes for attention with all the other bridges, among other projects...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update on marpole loop. They finished repaving the loop and are just letting the pavement cool before adding in all the charging equipment. The concrete bus stop pads are being poured within the next week or two. If they haven't started doing so already. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, translink said:

Quick update on marpole loop. They finished repaving the loop and are just letting the pavement cool before adding in all the charging equipment. The concrete bus stop pads are being poured within the next week or two. If they haven't started doing so already. 

Thanks for the update.

I had a fantasy idea back when it was first announced that they were constructing a battery bus charger at Marpole Loop. Because only the 100 terminates there now, it's a very underutilized asset. The idea was to build something on top of the loop to generate property revenue for the system, like a hotel, office tower, or social / low-income housing complex. But when I walked past the loop about a month ago, I noticed the charger would be right in the middle of the lot, so I guess that rules out any chance of that happening for some time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

All fun and games until someone doesn't pay attention at the fuel pumps... Having said that, that would only be a concern if the bus somehow made its way out to Hamilton, PoCo or Surrey... 

 

Those tags are actually for first responders. That really should get fixed; it changes how an emergency is dealt with. Your average first responder probably cannot differentiate a hybrid from a CNG at relatively quick look. 😲

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Thanks for the update.

I had a fantasy idea back when it was first announced that they were constructing a battery bus charger at Marpole Loop. Because only the 100 terminates there now, it's a very underutilized asset. The idea was to build something on top of the loop to generate property revenue for the system, like a hotel, office tower, or social / low-income housing complex. But when I walked past the loop about a month ago, I noticed the charger would be right in the middle of the lot, so I guess that rules out any chance of that happening for some time.

Yeah unfortunately they'll be reusing the old 100 stop in the middle of the loop. Instead of the one on the sidewalk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UBC:

The new Layover and unloading facility opened this week. I'm under the impression that the building is tall enough for double deckers to use it.

FB_IMG_1555518224783.thumb.jpg.ce20357f8f72a9351ada5cecc9cd48b3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, Express691 said:

UBC:

The new Layover and unloading facility opened this week. I'm under the impression that the building is tall enough for double deckers to use it.

FB_IMG_1555518224783.thumb.jpg.ce20357f8f72a9351ada5cecc9cd48b3.jpg

Looks like maybe, I think I will visit there once then I can figure it out~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why people aren't allowed to open the roof hatches on the Community Shuttles? Sometimes the shuttles get hot because the A/C is either not turned on or not working and the windows don't do much, then I look at the roof hatch and it says "Do Not Open".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Does anyone know why people aren't allowed to open the roof hatches on the Community Shuttles? Sometimes the shuttles get hot because the A/C is either not turned on or not working and the windows don't do much, then I look at the roof hatch and it says "Do Not Open".

The A/C should always be turned on. I know a few drivers turn it off which they shouldn't be doing, It's set to a temperature and maintains it. The roof hatch and windows should be closed (unless for emergency) because the air escapes and the A/C has to compensate and burns it out faster, from what the training department has said to me. Buses has to be changed out if the A/C goes out because most buses (not all of course) you can't open the window and the inside will turn into an oven. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Phillip said:

The A/C should always be turned on. I know a few drivers turn it off which they shouldn't be doing, It's set to a temperature and maintains it. The roof hatch and windows should be closed (unless for emergency) because the air escapes and the A/C has to compensate and burns it out faster, from what the training department has said to me. Buses has to be changed out if the A/C goes out because most buses (not all of course) you can't open the window and the inside will turn into an oven. 

Laughs in Calgary Transit

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So as of Monday the 15, Marpole is open. All that’s left is the concrete pad for the 100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

June Service Change

Trying to avoid including any seasonal/school changes here...

6 - Weekday, Sat, Sun service improve to every 10min (from 12/15min) 8-10pm; to every 12min (from 15min) 10-11pm

15 - TBD

25 - Sat service improve to every 10min (from 12min) 4-6pm

33 - Sat service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 8-10am

41 - Sat, Sun service improve to every 7-8/10min (from 12min) 5-7pm

43 - Weekday westbound service improve to every 15min (from 30min) 8-10pm, extend service hour to 10:30pm, additional morning westbound trips

50 - TBD

84 - Weekday, Sat eastbound service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 6-8pm

95 - Sun service improve to every 12min (from 15min) 3-8pm

99 - Weekday eastbound 9 trips added throughout the day

100 - Sat service improve to every 12min (from 15min) 7am-7pm

144 - Sat service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 3-8pm

153 - TBD

210 - Sat southbound service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 5-7pm

240 - Weekday service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 9-11pm

301 - Sun service improve to every 30min (from 60min) throughout the day; earlier start by 30min

319 - TBD

323 - Weekday service improve to every 15min (from 20-30min) 7-9pm; to every 20min (from 30min) 9-10pm; to every 30min (from 60min) 10-11pm; Sat service improve to every 15min (from 20min) 3-6pm; Sun service improve to every 15min (from 20min) 4-7pm; to every 20min (from 30min) 7-8pm

324 - Weekday northbound service improve to every 20min (from 30min) 6-7am; southbound service improve to every 15min (from 20min) 6-7pm

335 - Weekday eastbound service improve to 20min (from 30min) 7-8pm; Sat service improve to 20min (from 30min) 6-8pm

345 - TBD

745 - Removal of 2 weekday trips

746 - Removal of 2 weekday trips

N19 - Sat eastbound service improve to every 15min (from 30min) 1-2am; Sun eastbound service every 30min starting 12:30am (from 1:30am start)

N9 - Weekday, Sat, Sun all westbound short-turn to Lougheed cancelled; last downtown round-trip cancelled

 

From the Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows ATP and looking at the service change, I wonder if the 745/746 are getting conventional buses during peak hours. But then the 6:17/:19/:21 and 7:19/:20/:21 trips are still there....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nname said:

606 - Service before 4pm cancelled

That one's a school change, part of the special that goes on to do a 617 trip. No point having it through the summer, it'll probably be back in the fall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...