cleowin

Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

1 hour ago, nname said:

And having 2 and 22 separate is in line with what TransLink is doing elsewhere in the region, so I don't think the old route 2 will ever be restored.

I should add... just realized that reusing the number from very notable discontinued route such as B-Line is not entirely out of the question now....

...which might get tricky if and once we have more than 10 B-lines.

I do recall that what is now the 96 B-line was supposed to be called route #399 (not sure if that was an 'official' speculation or not (if someone could pull up a source or not that would be great). Could also use sources that lead to the creation of the 96 please and ty.

19 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to reserve #399 for a B-Line service on Highway 99?

Technically speaking, King George was designated Highway 99A at least for the early stages of planning the route.

Anyways here is proof that there was an open house for the 399 and (what would become) the 531. It was held in Semiahmoo mall in 2009.

I can't find an official source aside from a forum (and unfortunately Paul Hillsdon's blog has been taken down), but according to Paul Hillsdon, the route was to be implemented without articulated buses. The 399 would eventually be cancelled altogether due to a funding shortfall.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2009/05/today-open-house-for-531-and-399-routes-at-semiahmoo-mall/

The 399 and 531 went as far as being entered into the scheduling system before they gets removed due to funding shortfall. If I was posting those updates at that time, you would've seen them here :P

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Technically speaking, King George was designated Highway 99A at least for the early stages of planning the route.

Anyways here is proof that there was an open house for the 399 and (what would become) the 531. It was held in Semiahmoo mall in 2009.

I can't find an official source aside from a forum (and unfortunately Paul Hillsdon's blog has been taken down), but according to Paul Hillsdon, the route was to be implemented without articulated buses. The 399 would eventually be cancelled altogether due to a funding shortfall.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2009/05/today-open-house-for-531-and-399-routes-at-semiahmoo-mall/

Archived version of the site avaliable

https://web.archive.org/web/20090826233827/http://www.paulhillsdon.com/blog/2009/04/30/details-on-399-king-george-b-line-and-more/

Most interesting tidbit (beyond the timelines proposed) was that every second 399 was supposed to run to White Rock Ctr.

• Thanks 1

Another interesting tidbit I'd say is a proposed exchange at 156th at 104th. Originally supposed to come with nearby retail, but that part fell through with the recession. 

Now all that's left is to dig up a source that highlights the 399's cancellation due to the funding shortfall. (Though it would be also be nice to be able to find documents related to the original project). Thanks in advance

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nname said:

I should add... just realized that reusing the number from very notable discontinued route such as B-Line is not entirely out of the question now....

Yes, since they have plans for more B-lines than there are numbers left that start with '90'

21 hours ago, nname said:

The 399 and 531 went as far as being entered into the scheduling system before they gets removed due to funding shortfall. If I was posting those updates at that time, you would've seen them here :P

What!? How frequent was it going to be at the time?

43 minutes ago, 8800GTX said:

What!? How frequent was it going to be at the time?

According to Paul Hillsdon's archived blog, the frequency was supposed to be every 7.5 minutes with every second trip to white rock. 

Changes to the 320/321 are the same as today than what was proposed in 2009. The only kink is the 394 which would have been cancelled entirely.

And the renumber continues for April~

Bowen Island changes:

280 Bluewater/Snug Cove
281 Eagle Cliff/Snug Cove

Wonder where the 270-series would go... :huh:

And.. still trying to figure out if that 98 is in the actual April sheet or not...

On 1/23/2018 at 11:28 AM, DarkKeyo said:

Yes, since they have plans for more B-lines than there are numbers left that start with '90'

They could switch them to something like B1, B2, B10, etc. Wound help differentiate the service a bit, like the C(X) community shuttles or N(X) night routes.

9 hours ago, MVTArider said:

They could switch them to something like B1, B2, B10, etc. Wound help differentiate the service a bit, like the C(X) community shuttles or N(X) night routes.

I prefer the idea of using #x9x, so as to preserve the geographic associations - e.g., re-number the King George B-Line to #396.

The B-lines having their own consistent numbering system would help, especially with the focus on 'branding' that Translink seems to be going for. But the best and most efficient numbering system for any transit system is 'the one that's already there, unless it is totally disorganized'. Changing the numbering system costs money and causes confusion, and I have no idea why Translink, who can barely keep up with the current system and the 10 year plan, is changing so many numbers right now. 

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I prefer the idea of using #x9x, so as to preserve the geographic associations - e.g., re-number the King George B-Line to #396.

Half of the B-lines cross between areas of the geographic numbering system, eg. the 95

Right now I'm thinking it might be smartest to leave the B-Line numbering system as is, and eat into the 8x's if, God willing, more than 9 B-lines start operating simultaneously. In that case, hopefully the 84 would be obsolete, and you could start to rebrand those numbers starting with an 89 B-Line or something. 

If it became an issue, they could dip into the 900s for B-line routes.

I know 998 and such are internal codes for the skytrain lines, but B-lines are rapid after all...

I don't see any reason to switch the current system any time soon though. The #99 has so much identity and identifiability to it too, more than any other route i'd bet. 

22 hours ago, nname said:

And the renumber continues for April~

Bowen Island changes:

280 Bluewater/Snug Cove

281 Eagle Cliff/Snug Cove

Wonder where the 270-series would go... :huh:

And.. still trying to figure out if that 98 is in the actual April sheet or not...

270s were BC Rail routes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Well based on the other recent route discussion, they're actively getting rid of the C routes...

9 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I think it'd be more reasonable to use the geographic location just in the last digit - Eg, 257/239 -> 92, 319 -> 93, 430 -> 94, 701 -> re-use 97. Tricky one for that would be 503 -> 95, since that number is already taken... Maybe they could use 96 once the L line is built? Guess we'll see...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stormscape said:

The Royal Hudson special actually had a route number?

Yeah there were three. I’m stretching my memor a lot but in the peak of the “good old BC Rail days” the Royal Hudson had two routes, one to Lonsdale Quay and one to Downtown. 

For or a couple years in the late-90d the Cariboo Prospector also had a B.C. Transit route. Cannot remember if it went downtown or to the Quay, though?!

14 hours ago, Dane said:

Yeah there were three. I’m stretching my memor a lot but in the peak of the “good old BC Rail days” the Royal Hudson had two routes, one to Lonsdale Quay and one to Downtown. 

For or a couple years in the late-90d the Cariboo Prospector also had a B.C. Transit route. Cannot remember if it went downtown or to the Quay, though?!

The 1 that met  the BCR Dayliner in the evenings went to Downtown. From downtown it would return to NVTC NIS

19 hours ago, neopasturquoise said:

Of which I missed, the 430 moves into bay 3, the old 49 Bay, starting January 29th.

1) Probably so the 430s dont have to loop around to exit

2) Maybe better to move it there now in case any B-line study/artic testing (if any) is done. (Though the last time an artic appeared on the full route was sometime in 2014-2015).