Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

There have been rumblings about a reroute on the 394 in which the route will follow the 321 route through Newton.

Stops at 72/King George, 72/138, 68/King George in both directions, no stops will be made directly at Newton Exchange (although Newton bay 11 is technically outside the loop area)

10 hours ago, Express691 said:

There have been rumblings about a reroute on the 394 in which the route will follow the 321 route through Newton.

Stops at 72/King George, 72/138, 68/King George in both directions, no stops will be made directly at Newton Exchange (although Newton bay 11 is technically outside the loop area)

It's comfirmed by signage at King George and other stops.

Genuine question: given how the 394 now basically duplicates the 321 route, and is not much faster despite the fewer stops, is there a reason they don't run more frequencies on the 321 at peak instead? The 345 already provides faster service from King George - White Rock than the 321...

2 hours ago, Orcair said:

Genuine question: given how the 394 now basically duplicates the 321 route, and is not much faster despite the fewer stops, is there a reason they don't run more frequencies on the 321 at peak instead? The 345 already provides faster service from King George - White Rock than the 321...

Possibly because their long-term plan is still to incorporate the #394 service into the King George RapidBus?

7 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Possibly because their long-term plan is still to incorporate the #394 service into the King George RapidBus?

I know they are wanting to bring r1 down to white rock. That was being talked about since 96 b line was a thing.... 

No real need to me to have a 394 if there's no orion, or suburban Nova for instance. Running it. Just seems pointless. 

Get rid of rest of 394s. Have more 321's running. Or just turn it into r1 extension. Transfer that many buses out and get that many rapidbus units in return (or just paint spare 60 foots)

354 other hand. They can turn those into 351 express units without any stops except South Surrey park and ride

On 4/2/2022 at 3:57 PM, GORDOOM said:

On 4/2/2022 at 10:59 PM, Busmanic92 said:

I know they are wanting to bring r1 down to white rock. That was being talked about since 96 b line was a thing.... 

On 4/2/2022 at 11:44 PM, Express691 said:

further evidence:

394 underwent substantial service increase some time ago

The ultimate plan for the 345 is to eliminate it as far as I remember, and make all those trips into 375

then you have large ridership base on King George between 68 and 60

On 4/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, Busmanic92 said:

No real need to me to have a 394 if there's no orion, or suburban Nova for instance. Running it. Just seems pointless. 

Get rid of rest of 394s. Have more 321's running. Or just turn it into r1 extension. Transfer that many buses out and get that many rapidbus units in return (or just paint spare 60 foots)

354 other hand. They can turn those into 351 express units without any stops except South Surrey park and ride

23 hours ago, 96 Blader Line said:

The 394 from what I see at KG does have people board so it has some ridership but idk if a non transit ethusiant even cares if it's a highway coach or not. Probably not tho

Thanks all for your comments – I admit I'm still rather puzzled by the routing, particularly the new Newton route. I would understand it more if it was a true express/suburban coach-esque route like @Busmanic92 mentioned, but I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes in the next few years. 

• Like 1

Few releases today which has major implications down the line (pun intended)

City of Vancouver draft plan provisions additional homes, multi-tracking of SkyTrain lines
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/draft-vancouver-plan

Updates to the SCBCTA act sees TransLink buying up land for development:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-government-bill-transit-oriented-development

Fleetwood community plan for Langley Extension gets approval:
https://www.surrey.ca/news-events/news/fleetwood-plan-along-surrey-skytrain-extension-receives-council-approval

Upcoming bay reassignments for April 18:

25: at UBC, relocate to bay 6, former 49 bay
27: at Joyce Station, relocate to bay 7 NB along Joyce St (59664)
49: at UBC, relocate to bay 5, former 480 bay

Also:
SB School special 232 for Handsworth Secondary now start from Capilano/Teviot via regular route leaving 1512 and 1517. Effective April 19.

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Upcoming bay reassignments for April 18:

25: at UBC, relocate to bay 6, former 49 bay
27: at Joyce Station, relocate to bay 7 NB along Joyce St (59664)
49: at UBC, relocate to bay 5, former 480 bay

Also:
SB School special 232 for Handsworth Secondary now start from Capilano/Teviot via regular route leaving 1512 and 1517. Effective April 19.

So stupid, keep 49 at 6 and put 25 in 5 ?

On 4/12/2022 at 8:31 AM, Express691 said:

I believe the setup/intent in UBC is to park the 25s closer to the median rather than in the main layover area. 

Yeah, I figured that out already - even though half of them park in the layover area anyway, and its still easy to get into Bay 5 from the current 25 layover spot as long as you don't pull up all the way to the crosswalk - regardless, still stupid, simply for the reason with trying to get out on time with that dumbass crosswalk can be a real pain.

23 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Per alerts, R1 northbound to reroute via 138 Street, 76 Avenue to regular route during PM Rush.

Joyce station bay #s are getting renumbered. E.g. Bay 3 for the R4 is becoming bay Bay 4. Stops remain in position.

Gilmore Station alsonreceiving bays.

https://www.translink.ca/alerts

So the R1 will avoid 72nd street entirely?

The 44 and 84 will be on a long term detour starting Monday going via Blanca and University Blvd.  The 68 will also be running down a residential Western Parkway instead of Wesbrook Mall.

And someone isn't paying attention for the Sun Run detours.  Even though the race path was updated this year to avoid the Cambie Bridge, the alerts pase still says the 17 will be running over the Granville Bridge.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dover5949 said:

With all the recent transfers of the Nova's from VTC to HTC, is HTC getting some big service improvements that is not announced? 

Not necessarily, VTC is probably needing to get rid of them to have room for the 2021 artics. HTC has also been sending XN40s to STC as noted above, so the redistribution is spread a bit more evenly