Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, Urban_96 said:

Once VTC gets these new buses, do we think they’ll JUST be running the 84? 25 buses for one route seems quite excessive. 

I think the 84 uses around 15 buses at peak. My guess is that probably some will be extra spares for E60LFRs, especially in the summer since they don't have AC.

38 minutes ago, briguychau said:

I think the 84 uses around 15 buses at peak. My guess is that probably some will be extra spares for E60LFRs, especially in the summer since they don't have AC.

14 - 6 all day runs and 8 morning trips, then give 2 or 3 for spare ratio.

9 buses left can maybe go somewhere else but I rather discuss in the proper thread for the order

4 minutes ago, Express691 said:

14 - 6 all day runs and 8 morning trips, then give 2 or 3 for spare ratio.

9 buses left can maybe go somewhere else but I rather discuss in the proper thread for the order

From what I heard, only 20 of the 25 bus order will be going to VTC, the other 5 may just go to BTC.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, briguychau said:

That makes total sense. Those would be a way better replacement for the E60s than 40 footers. 

21 hours ago, Express691 said:

Reorganization of blocks has resulted in 311 not being tied into South Delta runs and decker runs being more commonplace.

https://tcomm.bustrainferry.com/mobile/bus/19414 16:00 and 18:30 from Bridgeport Station as well as 3 morning runs from Scottsdale

I like that there are more deckers but what’s the logic in this move other than more decker runs on the 311? 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, Urban_96 said:

I like that there are more deckers but what’s the logic in this move other than more decker runs on the 311? 

Not sure what kind of other answer you are looking for (you basically answered your own question). However more deckers on morning runs may be coming in handy as discussed below
===========================================
In other news:

Alternate operation on the Canada Line to occur from January 10 to February 2

Canada Line customers

As we begin work closest to the guideway, single tracking is required from Bridgeport Station to Richmond–Brighouse Station. This means the train frequency will be temporarily reduced from January 10 to February 2, excluding Sundays, from the start of service to 4 p.m. on weekdays and to 8 p.m. on Saturdays.

Train frequency for each section of track during peak hours are listed below:

Between Bridgeport Station and Richmond–Brighouse Station: service approximately every 17 minutes;

Between Bridgeport Station and Waterfront Station: service approximately every four minutes;

Between YVR–Airport and Waterfront Station: increased service to approximately every four minutes;

Expo/Millennium Line service: no impact.

========================

Extra buses will operate between Bridgeport Station and Richmond–Brighouse Station to provide supplemental service for customers:

The extra buses at both Bridgeport and Richmond–Brighouse stations will depart from Bay 1. Customers can find Bay 1 using the transit maps just outside of the stations.

The buses will operate between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. providing service every 5-7 minutes.

On Saturdays, the extra buses will operate every 5-10 minutes, depending on ridership needs.

The buses will bypass Aberdeen and Lansdowne stations to allow for travel at speeds more in line with Canada Line service.

Passengers travelling to/from Aberdeen and Lansdowne can use local bus routes (403, 410) or Canada Line.

My reaction:

1) I guess 98 B-Line returns briefly
2) I guess this is where some of those canceled/reduced bus hours went
3) For South Richmond, you can attempt to head over to highway 99 and get a bus from there. For those in Ironwood, it may be more beneficial to find a 403/404 to Steveston Highway, hop to Bridgeport, and catch an empty Canada Line train coming from the airport.This is where those morning decker 311s also come in handy, for extra capacity heading up to Bridgeport Station.
4) If we learned anything from that once summer (I believe this was 2015) where we ran shuttles from Downtown to Commercial Broadway, it's that people will still stick to the trains despite shuttle buses running. Maybe it's just me but there was definitely a reason why all the articulated shuttles were running empty while the shuttle trains from the downtown core were crushload capacity.
5) We cant run trains in pairs and hold at Lansdowne Station before the switch because there is no space and the orientation is not correct. It ***Might*** be possible with the inbound tracks though but there's a reason why it's just staying at every 17 minutes.

https://www.translink.ca/plans-and-projects/projects/rapid-transit-projects/capstan-station

While I'm happy to see this investment, I'm really not liking the planned loading and unloading locations.  I thought I heard the plan was going to be using central parkway as the on street exchange a few months ago.  However now if you have to transfer from one route to another you'll have to walk over 200 meters to get to your transfer.  Maybe I'm over reacting, but that sounds miserable, especially when you factor in bad weather, or a physical disability.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tidom said:

However now if you have to transfer from one route to another you'll have to walk over 200 meters to get to your transfer.  Maybe I'm over reacting, but that sounds miserable, especially when you factor in bad weather, or a physical disability.

We have this problem in Victoria as well (one spot between two major routes is 325m), and it's mostly at street based transfer points. I contacted BC Transit about, talk to TransLink about it and maybe they'll respond with something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of notes about the 4/7 stop consolidation:

1. Some stops that were supposed to close on Dundas St (EB/WB at Templeton, WB at Wall and the replacement consolidated stop WB at Lakewood) are remaining open due to customer feedback.  Given this is a fairly dense area, despite being close together these stops were all very well used, and there is a bit of a slope on that stretch of Dundas.

2. All closures/relocations on the south end of Dunbar between King Edward and 41st have been postponed; the interactive map says these stops will be reviewed in the spring in consultation with the city of Vancouver and the community.

3. Despite those setbacks, the stop consolidation along West 4th Ave went ahead as planed.  As a result, 4th Ave now has stops consistently every 2 blocks from Alma to Granville, as opposed to the essentially random 1, 2 or 3 block spacing  that existed before.  Overall the project should still bring improved travel times, since 4th Ave was the slowest, most congested section of the route (outside of Downtown)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...