Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-metro-vancouver-federal-gas-tax-fund-2021

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up seeing D40LFRs replace the D40LFs currently at VTC within the next couple years.

Hopefully they’re smart and use the remaining $160 million to cover majority of the cost for the SFU Gondola so that they can cut the 145 (and possibly the 143, although I don’t think cutting the 143 is all that necessary) and permanently move most, if not all the D60LFRs back to BTC. This is based on my assumption that the pandemic isn’t going to last another 5 years and TransLink selects the direct route from Production to SFU for the Gondola.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-line-strike-update-february-1-2021

Canada Line may shutdown as early as 4pm today, nothing concrete has been stated yet. The 98 B-Line, hell even the 480, would be helpful right about now...

If there isn't some sort of last-minute resolution to this I bet we'll be seeing pretty significant ridership boosts to the 405, 407, 22 and 15...

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-line-strike-update-february-1-2021

Canada Line may shutdown as early as 4pm today, nothing concrete has been stated yet. The 98 B-Line, hell even the 480, would be helpful right about now...

I hope all the suburban routes back to Burrard Station~~

11 minutes ago, Cathay 888 said:

I hope all the suburban routes back to Burrard Station~~

47 minutes ago, Zortan said:

If there isn't some sort of last-minute resolution to this I bet we'll be seeing pretty significant ridership boosts to the 405, 407, 22 and 15...

Bus service is *not* allowed to compensate for loss of rail service due to consolidation of unions.

The latter is more likely, 405 407 22 and 15 - maybe even 410 and 301 for that matter

• Like 1

I think the 15/50, 22, 100, 403, 405, 407, 410, and 430 will see the highest passenger volumes as a result of the strike, because they either serve multiple stations or connect to other routes at Knight Street Bridge. 5/6 (and maybe the 23) will see an increase in passenger volumes due to Yaletown Station being shutdown. 3, 10, and 17 will also see higher volumes due to the connection between Marine Drive and Downtown, as well as the 15/50 not running as frequently as those other three routes.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging from what I’ve seen in the Low Carbon Fleet Strategy, it looks like the plan is to move the VTC diesel routes to MTC when it opens in 2023/2024. I’m going to guess that they’ll move the R4 to VTC because I don’t see them ordering an additional 100+ trolleys to fill the empty spaces left from the transferred diesels, plus HTC is pretty far from 41st Ave.

If they want chargers at Kootenay Loop they will have to update the layout to do so, which may require the acquisition of additional land. IMO Kootenay Loop needs to be expanded sooner rather than later as the current layout is constrained as hell the way it currently is.

8 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Judging from what I’ve seen in the Low Carbon Fleet Strategy, it looks like the plan is to move the VTC diesel routes to MTC when it opens in 2023/2024. I’m going to guess that they’ll move the R4 to VTC because I don’t see them ordering an additional 100+ trolleys to fill the empty spaces left from the transferred diesels, plus HTC is pretty far from 41st Ave.

If they want chargers at Kootenay Loop they will have to update the layout to do so, which may require the acquisition of additional land. IMO Kootenay Loop needs to be expanded sooner rather than later as the current layout is constrained as hell the way it currently is.

Forgive me ingnorance, but what be MTC?

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

For any speculation related to future fleet allocation, keep in mind a big part of the justification for building MTC is that the diesel yard at VTC is on leased land and may not be avaliable long term.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Michael Marriott said:

For any speculation related to future fleet allocation, keep in mind a big part of the justification for building MTC is that the diesel yard at VTC is on leased land and may not be avaliable long term.

Just to clarify, the land is not available long term.  Owner requires the land back hence the new depot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

Then I guess it makes sense as to why they’re building MTC so close to VTC.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, 8010 said:

Translink could use battery-trolleybuses with In Motion Charging on the R4, running on battery power from Crown to UBC. Technically it seems feasible and compared with a 100% battery bus operation, it would save on the space demands of charging stations at UBC Loop.  Charge as you go, rather than spend a long time at the charger. 

• Like 2

The only issue with having the R4 trolleys is that the 41 would be causing delays to them unless they remove timepoints along the 41 or install layover wire, even then the 41 would still be holding them up making local stops. The timepoints along the 41 route are Fraser st, Oak st and Granville st both directions. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Phillip said:

The only issue with having the R4 trolleys is that the 41 would be causing delays to them unless they remove timepoints along the 41 or install layover wire, even then the 41 would still be holding them up making local stops. The timepoints along the 41 route are Fraser st, Oak st and Granville st both directions. 

Or, make the 41 a diesel, considering that it runs every 15 minutes while the R4 is far more frequent, meaning that electrifying the R4 has a much better impact than the 41.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phillip said:

Or install an express wire. Correct?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

Or keep it as a Diesel/Hybrid/CNG route and use the extra cash for other improvements

It wouldn't really cost much of anything to run the R4 as trolleys, assuming we dieselize the 41. All they'd need to do is purchase a few buses, which isn't that significant, especially considering our aging trolley fleet overall. The XDEs coming off the R4 could pretty easily be put onto the R6 or some other new service.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phillip said:

Agreed. I didn't want to go into detail but under a modified LCFS, if the R4 became battery-trolleybus, the 41 would be a battery electric bus. One day maybe there will be a way for completely automatic overtaking for trolleybuses but we're not there yet. However, here's a short clip of battery-trolleybuses in Beijing, lowering their poles while in motion. So you could imagine a 41 could lower its poles when it sees an R4 in the mirror. Believe it or not, there's a company in Germany that is researching reconnecting poles while in motion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin607 said:

Agreed. I didn't want to go into detail but under a modified LCFS, if the R4 became battery-trolleybus, the 41 would be a battery electric bus. One day maybe there will be a way for completely automatic overtaking for trolleybuses but we're not there yet. However, here's a short clip of battery-trolleybuses in Beijing, lowering their poles while in motion. So you could imagine a 41 could lower its poles when it sees an R4 in the mirror. Believe it or not, there's a company in Germany that is researching reconnecting poles while in motion.  

That would require drivers to actually look in their mirrors ?

Seriously though, putting the R4 on to a trolley network would require the buses being based out of VTC and the whole issue is that VTC doesn't have the room hence the new depot.  Unless they build up a whole new trolley system into the new depot which would just be cheaper and practical, especially in the long term, to install chargers.