Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

On 9/19/2020 at 2:19 AM, Cathay 888 said:

I prefer this one on 503, at least it's better with the bigger font~~

Without the word "to" would be more practical for my opinion, at least we know the final destination and then via the major roadway~~

Talking back to 352, they should retain 352 Bridgeport Station would be better, just change the one on 352 Ocean Park / White Rock Centre would be perfect~~

At White Rock Centre, they want to direct people to the 351 instead of the 352.  So in this case, 352 Ocean Park to Bridgeport Station would make sense because the main destination for the 352 at White Rock Centre is Ocean Park.

• Like 1

minor notes according to Alerts:

640 - M-F 2 new trips during PM peak from River and 72nd to Scott Road Stn via Tilbury routing (the assignment was just bumped ahead by a half-hour) (was first noticed September 23rd but looks to be confirmed as of now)
881 Carson Graham - added trip leaving W 22 St @ Philip Ave at 9:10am beginning Fri Sep 25.

Is Matthews Exchange still considered a transit exchange? It still shows up on the maps and the audio announcements still say Matthews Exchange (although one could argue that White Rock Centre Bay 10 still announces 17th Ave and I'm sure other stops haven't had updated announcements yet) but the INIT signs are displaying "Hornby Dr" and "96th St." IMO the 352 and 354 should be stopping at those stops to connect to the 310, even if there are very few passengers transferring.

6 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Is Matthews Exchange still considered a transit exchange? It still shows up on the maps and the audio announcements still say Matthews Exchange (although one could argue that White Rock Centre Bay 10 still announces 17th Ave and I'm sure other stops haven't had updated announcements yet) but the INIT signs are displaying "Hornby Dr" and "96th St." IMO the 352 and 354 should be stopping at those stops to connect to the 310, even if there are very few passengers transferring.

I don't believe it's still officially an exchange (I think it was closed earlier this month), although all routes that previously stopped there still do so.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:44 PM, Express691 said:

They're open for use - now the priority signals need to be activated.

As of this week, the project is complete. Fraser Highway between 140th and 148th now has transit priority infrastructure. This includes the "red lanes" at WB 148th and EB 140th, as well as transit priority signals and lanes in both directions at 96th Avenue.

==========

20201002_200949.thumb.jpg.0d8bc2064da7bbf641fb01ba91556a16.jpg

This was Surrey Central this evening:

List of stations yet to receive the new displays:

King George, Waterfront (not counting tv screen at the east exit),  New West, Burrard.

13 hours ago, Express691 said:

As of this week, the project is complete. Fraser Highway between 140th and 148th now has transit priority infrastructure. This includes the "red lanes" at WB 148th and EB 140th, as well as transit priority signals and lanes in both directions at 96th Avenue.

==========

20201002_200949.thumb.jpg.0d8bc2064da7bbf641fb01ba91556a16.jpg

This was Surrey Central this evening:

List of stations yet to receive the new displays:

King George, Waterfront (not counting tv screen at the east exit),  New West, Burrard.

Just curious, are any of the old red dot-matrix displays still up around the system? I remember last time I was at Columbia the sign was still up but not in use... this was quite a while back though.

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

Just curious, are any of the old red dot-matrix displays still up around the system? I remember last time I was at Columbia the sign was still up but not in use... this was quite a while back though.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

https://www.mvx.vision

I thought this was an interesting concept that could really change the game in Metro Vancouver’s transit network and even the Fraser Valley and Sea-To-Sky corridor.

Seems like a cool idea, the demand I'd say for such a system does exist, but I think the travel times are a bit underestimated. I don't see with acceleration and deceleration, the route and the geography you can get from Horseshoe Bay to Langley with five intermediate stops in 21 minutes.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, 8010 said:

https://www.mvx.vision

I thought this was an interesting concept that could really change the game in Metro Vancouver’s transit network and even the Fraser Valley and Sea-To-Sky corridor.

I would practically live on this train if it were built. However, I would put every penny of my life savings on the bet that it won't. Not a single phase would ever even be considered. There are some glaring problems with this proposal.

• Travel time is downright wrong - they would have to tunnel in a straight line from Vancouver to Whistler to get travel time from Chilliwack via Abbotsford and Surrey to cut travel time to even twice what they are claiming.
  • Existing rail corridors are entirely unsuitable for high-speed rail, between level crossings and the small radius of corners along the alignments, using existing alignments would be an absolutely horrible plan... especially considering that their plan, like so many failed proposals for rail in the valley, appears to use the old BCER alignment now operated by SRY.
  • How on earth are you going to get high speed trains across the harbour in fourteen minutes? That amount of travel time is too high for a directly tunneled route, and way too low for a shared ROW over the second narrows rail bridge.
  • What on earth are they planning on doing from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler? Direct tunneling? I don't care how much demand there is, even if literally every person in Whistler and Squamish used that line every day of the year I don't think there would be enough demand to make that economically viable. Those travel times are downright impossible with the existing alignment, even if it were to be improved.

I'm not even going to bother doing the math on the acceleration needed for the kinds of travel times they are proposing. It's impossible. Financially and, frankly, physically. Jeff Bezos couldn't make this happen. Like I said, I would throw myself at this project like a fly at honey if it got off the ground. It won't even taxi to the runway. It has about as much potential to happen as that absurd hydrogen fuel cell train from five years ago. 

• Like 6

Just came from a privately held virtual event with TL staff and a select few;

The following is a tidbit from a trivia that was done which used unreleased datasets:

As far as bikes are concerned, the 257 at Horseshoe Bay has the highest bike usage. Either Bridgeport or Brighouse comes in at a close 2nd, and the 620 at Tsawwassen Ferry doesn't even crack the top 5 or top 10.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Just came from a privately held virtual event with TL staff and a select few;

The following is a tidbit from a trivia that was done which used unreleased datasets:

As far as bikes are concerned, the 257 at Horseshoe Bay has the highest bike usage. Either Bridgeport or Brighouse comes in at a close 2nd, and the 620 at Tsawwassen Ferry doesn't even crack the top 5 or top 10.

I thought what they said was that Brighouse was second and the 620 was fourth, but I definitely could've misheard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Just came from a privately held virtual event with TL staff and a select few.

Yes, a privately held virtual event open to all 5,800+ members of a prominent local Facebook Group... who are you trying to impress?

• Like 1

Alerts:

Brighouse station loop is opening, albeit as a soft opening. 406 and 408 will be relocated inside starting October 19.

Bay 1 will lose its bay designation and become NB No.3rd at Cook.

Bay 7 will lose its bay designation and become SB No.3rd at Cook.

SB 403 to use Bay 5 which is in front of Kam Do bakery.

416 and 430 to use bay 3.

https://alerts.translink.ca/

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 7:21 PM, Express691 said:

Alerts:

Brighouse station loop is opening, albeit as a soft opening. 406 and 408 will be relocated inside starting October 19.

Bay 1 will lose its bay designation and become NB No.3rd at Cook.

Bay 7 will lose its bay designation and become SB No.3rd at Cook.

SB 403 to use Bay 5 which is in front of Kam Do bakery.

416 and 430 to use bay 3.

https://alerts.translink.ca/

I wonder if that old shelter will stay up.....

The Brighouse Bus Mall opened this morning as planned, with the 406 and 408 now stopping inside the loop.

In the midst of the signage changes, the bus stop sign at the former Bay 7 (SB No. 3 Road FS Cook Road, beside Richmond Centre) was removed entirely, by mistake.

The Brighouse Station timing point for the southbound 403 has been relocated upstream to Bay 5 (SB No. 3 Road FS Saba Road). That ought to make the AM 301 drivers happy...

• Like 2

Random question: why is the 329 service so sparse? I rode it last week and the bus I was on leaving Surrey Central had at least 20 people, and the bus coming back to Surrey Central had at least 30. I know it's a duplicate route to the 314 and somewhat the 319 but it seems to be well used for a Monday to Saturday daytime hourly service

I gotta ask, who's bright idea was it to put the R3 in the Phase 1 plan instead of the Phase 3 plan as originally planned (IIRC)? The fact that it got temporarily cancelled during the start of the pandemic and that the 701 is still using some artics is clearly showing that the route isn't doing as well in terms of alleviating crowding from the 701 as it probably could have, probably due to the lack of stops along the route compared to other RapidBus routes. Don't get me wrong, being able to go from Coquitlam Central to Haney in about 30 minutes is great and all, but there are definitely other RapidBus routes that should've been pushed to the Phase 1 plan instead of R3.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, Blake M said:

Random question: why is the 329 service so sparse? I rode it last week and the bus I was on leaving Surrey Central had at least 20 people, and the bus coming back to Surrey Central had at least 30. I know it's a duplicate route to the 314 and somewhat the 319 but it seems to be well used for a Monday to Saturday daytime hourly service

Because TransLink has been neglecting most of the South of Fraser area for years and is just now trying to catch up.

• Like 1